Organizing a Colorado Springs Weekly fighter practice

I'm going to start a Weekly Colorado Springs fighter practice. Currently I plan to hold it on Sundays at 2pm just like the Denver Ladybug park practice. I've been NPCing at the monthly Woodland Park event since May of this year. Unfortunately the only practice I get is once a month at the event. I hope to get some of my fellow C.S. locals interested in Alliance Larping so I can have a community of role playing larpers closer then the hour plus drive to Denver. I've been to the Ladybug park practice once and it was a blast but I'm not crazy about taking that drive once a week.

Some things I figure I have to do:
  • Select a local park
  • Get trained and certified on being a weapons marshal
  • Get or make loaner weapons for newbies just starting out.
  • Get first aid training for possible injuries or overheating complications
  • Put up flyers at local store Bulleting Boards
  • Spend extra time becoming more familiar with the Alliance Rule Book
  • Find out how to actually run an Alliance fighter practice
  • Find out what else should be on this list. Any suggestions?
I have not taken a leadership/organizer role very often in my life so this will be new territory for me. I also still consider myself a newb on larping in general:confused: Any advice and even help on the points above will be greatly appreciated.

• Park is simple we have many to chose from down here.
  • Trained/Certified Weapons Marshall another simple thing to knock out
  • Loaner Weapons -- I think a weekend with Porch and company and a few bucks can resolve that problem for the CS folks
  • First Aid Training for injuries, if we get lucky we will be littered with military folks who are up to date on training otherwise, if I am attending we have basics covered.
  • Flyers - You can handle that, I look to mean for most places except the ones who know me personally
  • Rule book is what we teach at our practices so it is a learning session over all.
Otherwise you have everything covered, biggest things: Weapons Marshall stuff and Loaner Weapons.

Weapons Marshall can be done without - its nice to confirm for people, but as long as there is at least 1, better with at least two that can check out weapons and go "Yea this is safe to use for fighter practice" you're set.

Loaner weapons: So, depends how many are gonna show up. I made extra polearms cause we had like 12 people interested in them. But really, I'd say at least 2-4 extra shields, 4-6 long swords, 4-6 short swords, and like one random polearm and 2h sword will do you easily. Get like 50ish packets any color and you're fine. 2 bows and like a bunch of arrow packets is optional, but one bow ain't a bad idea.

Cheapest/most efficent way to make the stuff is: don't give a crap what they look like, that they're not perfect max length, or too much of a crap on how heavy they are. Make a few PVC ones, pick up some el-cheapo gold clubs at a thrift store, and just foam the suckers and tape em. Check out which ace hardware has the 6' lengths of the 5/8" foam, grab a ton (1 does a full shield easily). Get a sheet of 2" foam for tips - like a 1 foot x 2 foot sheet goes a long way, usually its like about a 2-2.5" square piece you need. Shields start with the saucer sleds (I had 2, one is perma dead now). If they're off by half an inch or so in radius, either cut em or say screw it as they're practice shields and no one will care. Get cheap cloth belt material and cheap fastners/slip clips (Cheapest is Army Surplus for both believe it or not) for straps.

One thing I forget to bring all the time is: Strips of colored fabric to either headband with, or wear around the neck, etc. Idea is for who to know is NPCs.

First aid: Yea kinda what Jay said.
Rule Book: Honestly, fighter practice is how I learned a lot of this stuff. Start with simple stuff, add on over time.

Mostly:

If you start it, they will come. Fighter practice up here started with like 3-4 of us every Sunday, no matter what just going out to practice so an event wouldn't destroy us. Then talking to others interested, then it became a FB announcement thing. JUST GET OUT THERE AND DO IT. Even if its just two of you. Advertise on FB, flyers is a good idea, but again, just go and do it for the sake of doing it.

We started with zero idea wtf we were doing and would just go out, fight 1v1, 2v2, whatever. Just a fun time. The mock monster combats came out later - I can't even remember who came up with that suggestion. Just go out, practice. As the amount of people grow, then get crazy like we've been doing. But even if you guys spend a few hours in a park just practicing 1v1 2v2 etc stuff, its worth it.

Edit: Other useful information:
"If its your first fighter practice, you have to fight..." -Trace Durden

For a while Trace and I took on newbie duty, made sure they understood how to hit, the hold rule, charging, hit locations, damage calls, etc. Mac mostly does newbie spell caster stuff.

If someone is new, old, whatever, have someone take them out, give them one weapon, weapon and shield, two weapons, whatever and just go over the BASICS - how to hold and move the shield/weapon. The idea is to build confidence/get used to whats going on. People will either hit too hard, or be WAY too shy and barely hit. Let em hit you so they're okay with the fact they wont hurt you. I actually crack myself in the head a few times to show that hey, even if you miss - see I'm fine.

Don't have to force them to continue, just at least get a weapon in their hands so they understand and feel informed of whats up.

Even returning people, ask to ensure everyone has had a chance to go out and fight once as well. We start the thing out with just casual 1v1 or whatever horsing around, and the idea is to include everyone, as everyone should have a chance to get SOME practice in. Some people self start, some people its like hey wanna go spar? Even if its the casual small group, just get people goin, even if its nothing but 1v1s.

Last edited:
Well so far Jay and I are the only players in the Springs, and we are not certified. I assume we have to get someone certified before we can hold a fighter practice. Right? I'm hoping that could be done in the next event.

Not at all. Fight practice is completely unofficial, player run, and you don't need any kind of qualifications or certifications to start one.

I'm very excited to see you guys doing this!

Scott- are you still doing this?(weather dependent ofc) I have been discussing looking into Alliance with a few friends, and definately want to get repracticed up in boffer fighting prior to the next season.

Have you started practicing yet? Are you still looking for more people?
Definitely room for more people. So far I only know of one other Alliance Larper in Colorado Springs. I'm also being a little slow on making the loaner weapons for newbies but I still plan to get it going some time. Are you one the Alliance facebook page?

Hello all I am also here in the springs and would love to join for practice I currently go to the Ampgaurd ones which help a bit but it's not the same would love to practice with some other Alliance members and hopefully this year I can get to some more games and maybe actually play a character instead of NPC 'ing.

Hey folks... as far as the springs goes... since we are doing Comikaze Con and Galaxy Fest down there, I think I am going to start maybe promoting/running practice days down there once a month once the warm weather begins. Stay tuned!!!

Awesome and I am going to try to go to more Ampthgaurd battles for the practice its held on Saturdays at 1 -4 and I would love to see some of you there maybe together we can get some of them in our game once they see what we do.

Some may see it as trying to steal their players, but if it's more in the interest of comraderie, maybe it will go over well.

I would be interested in attending, if this is still something that is being planned? I've NEVER done this before, literally, so getting to see how it's done and learn the basics would be great for me.

I'm not up to date on my First Aid/CPR, though I'm a Vet and maintained those certs for years prior. I could start working on getting re-certified if that would help?

Colorado Springs, off of Powers... pretty much behind the Hobby Lobby and old Circuit City near Barnes and Stetson Hills.

Excellent! Stay tuned here and on our FB page, there is a serious drive at a CO Springs practice coming up soon.

Back