A request for advice

Sita

Scholar
So I'm kicking around the idea of making an over head wire formed mask of sorts for my Thorn Dryad.

I currently paint vines onto my face and use florist tape to add florals to braids in my hair to keep with the flowering vine theme. But they have a tendency to smudge {barrier spray doesn't get along with the rest of my skin} and touch up can be tedious.

The idea I have is to create a light frame that sits on my head, wrapping the frame to either blend with my hair or to look like the start of the vines, then soldering formed wire/florals to the frame back and front. The back tying into the florals in my hair, the front shaped {possibly glued using a prosthetic glue} to my face to replace the painted on vines.

Sound to ambitious? Think it'll look ridiculous? Got any suggestions as to where to start or materials? Any advice would be greatly appreciated ^.^

I think this is an awesome idea ! What kind of budget are you sticking to ?

If done correctly, it can look great. May also want to see if you can find a wood pattern mesh to back it/wrap the wire in.

What kind of budget are you sticking to ?

In the $100 - $200 range, not including the soldering iron I'll need to get.

May also want to see if you can find a wood pattern mesh to back it/wrap the wire in.

Oooh, hadn't thought of that ^.^ I'll see if I can find something to back it with. I figured it would need some padding, so that'd be a good way to hide it.

a pencil soldering iron is pretty cheap at fred meyer and typically comes with solder. Use small gauge wire that you can add the floral tape or paint. That will keep it lightweight and moldable.

Protip:
If you're soldering with Silver based Solder, it's much more brittle (especially if you don't heat and/or cool it properly) and less reliable in general especially as it begins to tarnish.
If you're soldering with Lead based Solder, it's much more reliable but I would highly suggest sealing it with something impermeable unless you particularly like the idea of lead poisoning.

Keegan: was going to go with lead solder with a sealant. It's what I have the most experience soldering with, but thank you for the reminder about silver! It'll need to hold up to wear, but since it'll be covered silver might be a better route. I'll play with both ^.^

Absolutely ^.^ I'll post whatever the finish product ends up looking like.

Back