Dueling

To whom zis may concern, doez zee lands of Fairfax allow duelling? If so vhat is the proper procedure? vhat are the rules? are zhey codified somewhere or is this just all duel as duel will?

How do I go about legally embarrassing my foes?

Thanks,

Jehan T. Wyldweaver.

Jehan,

By the most common summaries of the laws, one could define a duel as Assault, but the laws as they are written do make allowances for matters of honor. So long as both combatants agree to the terms of a duel and those terms are followed by both combatants, there should not be any legal problems. That said, ensure that all terms are well-defined - which weapons are allowed, whether or not magic or alchemy are allowed, and at what point the duel is over.

This is not strictly required but I would advise that for any duel to the death, you should find a well-respected member of the community to witness or arbitrate the duel. I recall sitting in on many sessions of court under the late Baron Darian Fairfax and his father before him in which one or both members of a duel felt slighted by their opponent; neither of them had very much patience for it. Though I'm reasonably certain Her Grace would practice more discretion than her grandfather, punishment was often carried out on both parties if there was no clear evidence or witness supporting either side.

Ser Kurzon Silverleaf

Ser Kurzon,

Vould you be willing to officiate such a duel? If asked politely and of course, pending zee timing favoring your schedule?

Also, is a commoner allowed to challenge a noble zhey feel they have been slighted by or are nobles prevented from such dueling for noble reasons and or because of their responsibility.

Regards,

Jehan T Wyldweaver

Journeyman of Zee Celestial Guild

Jehan,

Perhaps you should contact me privately and explain the situation.

Ser Kurzon Silverleaf

I would remind everyone that it is absolutely considered a crime in the land of Wayside to challenge a member of society who is above you in station. It is in fact treason to challenge a member of the Royal Tier. You may always challenge below you in station or on an equal tier. Since so very many of you are lax in your station let me remind you the way society works. There are 5 tiers each with stepping stones inside them. In the case a persons titles are unclear it is best to ask before issuing a challenge that if refused will have the weight of law come down on you. For instance the High Magistrates are the first amongst their brother Magistrates as we are their leaders but this is also because we each are a Knight of the Lands as well. If you have a grievance with some one who is your better use the channels of nobility to resolve it. The hierarchy exists for a reason.

The Royals- The King and his family along with the Dukes and Duchesses
High Nobility- The Counts and Barons
Minor Nobility- The Knights and Landed Lords
The Gentry- Lords without land, Magistrates, Sanctioned Guildmasters
The Masses- Sheriffs, Guards, Squires, Adventurers, Merchants, and Commoners

High Magistrate Oliver Stillroot

Thanks for your explanations Master Stillroot, it vill help people of zee masses understand zat they sit firmly at the base, the boot, if you will, of society. That ve should act accordingly and recognize our station and zee station of those placed above us. Yez, this gives me perspective and I appreciate it much.

If you vill allow a question or two, I vonder, vhat is zee process, should a lowly commoner witness a crime committed by an exalted rank of zis society? zee explanation "go through the right channels" lacks in information vhat it grants boldly in bluntness. Vhat is the channel of nobility? Vhat happens if your complaint of capital offence, vith proof, goes unheard? Vhat if say, unlikely as it may seem, two nobles are conspiring against higher? Or zee actions of a noble rise to zee level of treasonous in their disregard for the safety of the kingdom as a whole? These seem valid concerns to potentially serious problems. I, a humblish, servant simply wish to aid all in understanding zee right process.

I assure you I have grievance vith no one zat is my better of course.

I of course vould understand zat should the accusation be baseless zee accuser face zee potential of penalty for wasting zee time of all involved...there time being so valuable...after all zere are so many people to see to zhat there time is not to be wasted or imagine tarnished by zee low masses.

Ser Kurzon,

I vas mostly wondering about zee justice of the lands, how it goes, and all zat. It seems important, to understand zee world around us and know our places and all zat and this seems the right time of year to ask discussions and have conversations about zes things.

Kind of curious if I could even dare to say challenge a lord...or even ever hope to see justice for example: For Lord BlueWater's Blueberry Baked Biscuit...because zhey are not zee Best. A false claim. :)

Allow me to clarify for all:

If you suspect a member of the nobility of a crime, it is your duty as a citizen of Wayside to report it to the proper authorities. This will include sheriffs, magistrates, or any member of the nobility. If your accusation is at all credible, it will be investigated and, if necessary, punishment may be doled out by the noble's superior.

Jehan,

I generally agree with High Magistrate Stillroot's interpretation of the laws, but I would point out that it is not explicitly forbidden to challenge a member of the nobility to a duel. However, most challenges, especially one as frivolous as a challenge based on the quality of biscuits, could certainly be seen as an insult to the nobility and could be prosecuted as such. Perhaps a baking competition would be a better way to settle such things than trial by combat.

Ser Kurzon Silverleaf

Last edited:
Just to bring clarity. Challenging a noble could be construed as an assault; also the physical duel which most likely will lead to blood shed of some manor would be battery. Also please note the accusations about bad bakery if it was not a farce would of course be either libel or slander. All of this is against the Law. Yes, if a noble accepts the duel and chooses to implicitly deny charges of battery than at that time it is not a crime. Also as is the right of nobility they may choose a champion in any duel they accept if the challenger is beneath their station.

This is all assuming that you wish to pursue the chaos of armed duels. They are by nature pursued by those who place honor and personal glory above the Law and the betterment of society. Order is what brings wealth and health to society not lawlessness pursued by those who believe their might makes them right. That is the fundamental reason that anyone who places personal well being before that of the kingdom and society as a whole rots the core of it all and damages the well being of us all.

High Magistrate Oliver Stillroot

Last edited:
How about contests of fortitude AKA The Sweet Science AKA Drinking Contest? It is a time honored and sacred right in the Northlunds that any Dwarf can challenge any other to a drinking contest. From the great High King Seamus O'Dell to the lowliest tanner. Of course there are consequences if you prove to not be a worthy match and thus waste the time of those of rank and/or title.

~Draco Ardel

Last edited:
Mr. Ardel,
Fascinating idea! If you don't mind further indulging my curiosity, is it considered good form to utilize your people's ability to resist the effects of such substances during a contest of that nature?

--Evangeline
Curator at the Fairfax historical library

Of course! The only allowed means for altering a dwarf's ability to drink are their own natural ability and what food they have for the initiation meal. The initiation meal is when both opponents eat a meal of their choice together as a sign of good will and faith before the competition begins. There are strategies too numerous to list here about ability use timing within the contest and meal combinations.

~Draco Ardel

Back