International visitors

Hi,

I'm from a group of Australians who will be in the Washington DC area during August. We'd love to come to Alliance Gettysburg event on 14-16 Aug if this is to run -- the event pager currently says "TBD". I've tried emailing some people from the contacts page for this chapter over the last few weeks but haven't heard back as yet.
Does anyone know if this event will be running, and if you'd be alright for a couple of Aussies to attend? We run our own pair of LARP campaigns here and have been involved in playing or running events for over a decade. We'd love to come and see how a much larger system works, and pick people's brains about game styles and ideas if you're willing.

Any info anyone can provide would be appreciated.

With thanks,
Megan
Chimera Productions
VIC Australia

Hello!

My name is Angel. I am the customer service representative for the Gettysburg chapter.

As it stands the event is still running during this weekend. The only reason we have the TBD on there is incase the camp needs us to change it. We will give everyone notice if it does change.

We hope to see you there. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Angel

Thanks Angel

Could I first ask if there is any public transport to nearby the camp? As we are travelling far and wide in the US we won't have a car for the entire time and may need to come by train or bus to the area. We are happy to arrange for a taxi to and from the nearest stations, but I really have no idea how to find out if trains/buses run in the area from nearby cities (Washington DC in particular).

Also do you know how soon/close to the event the details will be confirmed? We are finilising all our travel plans now and just need to know if we do need to be in the area or not to make it to the event.

Thanks again.

Megan

Hey Megan,

How many of you are planning to attend? My fiancee and I live about 40 minutes from the GB site in Lancaster, PA. I'm not certain about the reliability of public transport closer to site, but we happen to have an Amtrak station about 5 minutes from our house and could offer two (maaaybe three, if we squish hard and pack light) additional players room in our car. We'd also happily bring you back to the station after game. :)

If there's more than two/three folks, let me know. If one of our other team members drives separately, we can possibly cart more.

Thanks guys. At this stage it will be not more than two people, and more probably just one. We have only limited time while in the USA and want to make the most of what we have by splitting up to visit various LARPS over the weekend of the 14-16 Aug. I have found many games running at that time -- there are as many LARPs running on that one weekend as we have in the entire state here in a full year! So we are trying to send one or two individuals to each event so we can get ideas of how different groups run. If we had the chance all of us would head to an event every weekend we are there but it's just not turned out to be practical.

So I'm looking to arrange for one of us to make it to Alliance Gettysburg, and if someone is able to offer a lift from the nearest train station or other public transport then I will get Mark to get in contact with you. He is eager to see a chapterised LARP system, something we are only just beginning to investigate for our own game here. Thanks Joe and Kris if you are willing we might take one of you up on the offer when we can work out where we'll be on that Friday 14 Aug. We have a hotel in downtown Washington until that day, so if I can get Mark onto a train or taxi to somewhere nearby to you that would be awesome.

I'm sure this info is available elsewhere, but just a couple of quick questions. Is the event catered/food provided in game or will participants need to bring their own? And is there indoor accommodation or tents available to borrow/hire? We are mostly staying in hotels through our trip and won't have any pillows, mattresses or sleeping bags etc with us. We would be happy to hire any extra gear anyone is willing to throw in for our use, and would be looking to hire weapons as well since I doubt that the airlines would look kindly on us brining our own into the country :)

Megan

Megan,

There is sleeping areas. I'm sure we can all try to pitch in to try to get you some sleeping gear.

As far as gameing gear are you or Mark going to try to PC or NPC? If you PC you have to provide your own costumingand game gear (in most cases). If you NPC all game gear would be provided to you.

Megan-

I would highly suggest NPCing as it will give you a much greater feel for the game than PCing a single event at low level.

As far as sleeping materials go I can accomodate an extra person on that front, particularly for this time of year. I might be able to assist more if I have some idea of what is needed. Again, let me know.

Joe Siegel

I have a few extra sleeping bags that can be brought along for use as well. I will bring them along just in case. (2-3 worth)

Hi all, Mark here.

Kris- happy to take you up on a lift as while in dc we are staying 5 minutes away from union station. I would just need to know where i am getting off.

Yes I want to NPC, mainly because I as want/need to see more of that side of the game.

As Megan said, I don't have camping or sleeping gear with me. So anything i can borrow or loan is very mutch appreciated!

Do I need to bring food as well?

Thanks for the help
Mark

Mark,

We run a full tavern with 3 set meals, Breakfast Saturday and Sunday and Supper Saturday, we also have food available throughout the day.

With that if you have any special dietary requirements let us know, but we can not always accommodate everyone.

Hey Mark,
If you can get to the Lancaster Amtrak station, we can grab you on our way. It'll be about 6PM/1800 if that works.
Not sure if you can get here directly from DC -you may need to transfer, but it shouldn't be too rough.
I'd also suggest peeking at train times on Sunday so we can figure out what we're gonna need to do as we have plans that evening. :)

Got it. Im booking a bus to get to lancaster. Just working on what time i will be there.
As for returning, i am getting a hotel back in Lancaster for the sunday evening so dropping me there whenever should be fine.

Sorry for the delay. I have unfortunate news in that I can't come. Turns out i screwed up my dates and am not available for the weekend. Thanks to everyone who tried to help and i hope your event is spectacular - Mark

Back