Modern Javelin Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qworg

I've looked over some old threads here, and the recommendations for putting batteries in the head of your javelin appear to be overruled by the newer rules.

So, what do good modern javelins look like? Can you use alternative propulsion methods (spinners/atlatl)?

Thanks!

Due to battery acid, batteries were never intended to be in weapon reps. That was an example weight for comparison to give an idea for the maximum weight of the rep for safety purposes. Do not put acid in your weapons, please.

Javelins are a heavy thrown weapon between 24 to 40 inches and need to follow the thrown weapon rules, including no hard materials or core (page 82 of the Alliance Rule Book) and must be hand-thrown for safety reasons (no propulsion devices or methods).

I made mine out of 36 inch long pvc foam tubes and semi-circle shaped pieces of open cell foam for the heads, and that has worked pretty well with good accuracy to about 15 yards. I can throw them about 30 yards maximum, but the accuracy at that range is not as good.

If you'd prefer to have a little extra weight in there to get it to fly well, you can just make a little slug out of duct tape and whatever foam scraps you have around to replace the battery or whatever weight you would have used before. I'd put it in the front 1/3 somewhere, exact placement depending on your specific design. If the slug isn't secured well and starts sliding around inside, the worst that'll happen is the javelin won't fly well, and even if it somehow comes out and hits someone, it won't be that much harder than a thrown weapon anyway.

@OrcFighterFTW - "PVC foam tubes" are Sintra tubes (http://www.sintrapvc.com/)? Those seem pretty hard.

@KyleSchmelz - is a packet considered "hard material"? I've never built these before, but old threads on this forum talk about using actual batteries (which I always thought was a bad idea) or things like film canisters filled with water. Would the water filled film canisters work?

I'm pretty sure Peter is referring to this style of pipe foam (often used as insulation over PVC pipe), not foam made of PVC.

I would definitely consider film canisters filled with water to be "hard material". Also I play in Minnesota so I would expect those to burst if they get left out overnight, as thrown weapons are pretty easy to lose track of. I would say a packet or a few packets would be fine, but if you're using hollow pipe foam, I feel like it would be easier to just fill in a portion of the internal cavity with some extra foam.

As with anything dealing with weapon reps, the final decision is up to the local weapon marshal. If you're doing anything "non-standard", check in with your local chapter to be sure.

Another idea is to get HD foam to put inside the middle of the pipefoam. This will give a little weight and make it alittle firmer. Also run strapping tape up and down the middle of the pipefoam as well. These are both soft but help strengthen weapons.

Heya. :)

"PVC pipe foam" refers to 3/4" wall closed-cell pipe insulation foam.

Water in a film canister is what I used, it worked fairly well. I secured the lid with cement glue, and left about 1/4" of "play" in the canister. I never encountered a canister bursting, so I couldn't really say if they ever froze, though I doubt it. (being insulated, and all)

That said, every chapter will have its own standards and judgements on what it deems acceptable, so I would recommend checking with Seattle/Oregon (assuming that's where you plan on playing). The marshals there are shared, so what's good in one is good in the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back