I am Noob, please dont smite me

Hello
My name is Ryan and planing join your guys on 27th . i never larp before only give this try cause two Online friend is also trying out larp party of newbies =D

i have cosplay before and played few Roll20 board games and RP online mmo's but. i never thought million years i would larp. the times i seen larp-ing either at con or internet find it bit funny (( don't smite me)))
but since friends want to try it. i going give it chance.
I am bit scared of pro people on few things
I dout ill remember all rules and how to play . without some kind of help and other reason is costume. only have few weeks before event to get costume worries me plus i am very low income
i going go see if i can find wig/beard for dwarf costume tomorrow then maybe head to home depot for weapon parts but clothing part of costume may be lacking would goodwill be place to find stuff?

char build is this:
dwarf (if i can find wig/beard)
one handed blunt 3pts
shield 6pts
critical attack x2 6pts

my social anxiety, is very high with trying this out.
so any help or tips you guys can give me be nice, i been reading pdf over and over and each time i see photo of you guys. i get nervous

Hey man just a small tip, take blacksmith no matter what, especially as a dwarf you want it but if you want to refit you armor (which you will, ALLOT) you gotta have blacksmith, you could always ask other people but it's way easier to refit on your own

Hey Ryan,

Glad to hear you are interested in joining us! We’re always excited to have new players and would love to see you come out to the upcoming event!

If you are planning to attend this event and haven’t gotten the rules system all figured out yet, don’t worry about that; our other players will be glad and excited to help you get everything figured out when you arrive on site! In addition to the Rulebook, I would suggest having a look at the following document: Alliance Quick-Start Rules. It's a shorter guide to our game designed to get new players a basic understanding of the rules without having to dig through the entirety of the excessive and convoluted fluff of the main Alliance rulebook (believe me, I think it's long and tedious, too). It was written by a player in the Seattle chapter, but the rules are nation-wide so that shouldn't really matter, but if there are any Seattle-specific things mentioned in there (which I think there were at the very end), just ignore those and look for similar Southern Minnesota information instead.

Just as a reminder, if you (and anyone else with you) are planning to attend (either as a PC or an NPC), remember to let the chapter staff know as soon as possible via the online registration form! More information about the event can be found here, if you hadn't already found it.

All in all, while it may seem daunting now, the Alliance SoMN community is one of the most friendly, welcoming bunch of folks you'll ever meet and I'm sure you'll be glad you came out to meet us. :)

Hi Ryan,

I was pretty much the same when 2 of my friends brought me out for a weekend, years of cosplay and Pen&Paper but nothing like Larp. The rules do take some getting used to, but it's not as complicated as it appears. Once you see it in action (likely before game on a few of us can give you a 101) it makes more sense.

Costuming for your first game doesn't need to be too extravagant, and as a Dwarf, the requirement is just the beard (you don't have to get a wig). You can find some good costuming at a Goodwill like a coat, some shirts that look in style; the same with pants. So no need to sweat over that stuff for a first event. There are people who bring extra armor that you may be able to use as well.

I would definitely, as a Fighter first game go:
Blunt Weapon 3 build
Shield 6 build
Blacksmith 2 build (you can use Blacksmith to refit Armor, which is very important)
Remaining 4 for x1 Crit Attack.

You get a rewrite after your first event, so you can change Race, Class and/or Build if you'd like.

Look forward to seeing you come out!

- Ryan (You'll find we have a lot of Ryan's in this Chapter)

Hi Ryan!

As some suggestions for an easy basic Dwarfy costume, here's some quick and dirty suggestions to 'Looking Like An Adventurer For $Cheap'.

First, Goodwill's a good place to start, especially if you're a smaller guy. Great way to get stuff that's already got some wear on it. Walmart is another inexpensive way to find most of this stuff. You'll want to go looking for a few things :

Belts : Belts are always useful. Something wide with a simple buckle would be best.
Pants : Again, think earth tones. Jeans really suck for outdoor play and stand out a lot, but corduroy or canvas pants are common and inexpensive. In a pinch, cotton sleep pants or sweatpants are viable.
Long-sleeved T-shirts : You'll want two, in earth tones if possible. Get them oversized, as it will look less modern. Don't worry if the arms are too long, but if possible get something that hits you at mid-thigh.
Henleys are fine as well, and often easier to get without the elastic at neck and wrist.
Shoes : Something that isn't white, isn't obviously modern, and you're okay with running around in the woods in. A lot of players wear combat or hiking boots, so long as they aren't glaringly modern nobody's going to give you any guff about your footwear. After all, it's safety gear too! :)

Once you get home, if the shirts have obvious elastic, you can take it off with scissors and just fold the edge under and hand-stitch it with some brown embroidery floss. If it looks a bit rough, that's actually for the best. I like to do one that will hit at the wrist, and then another over it that's cut off just below the elbow for a layered look. It's warmer that way too, which is important for the next few months. Something like this : http://magpieb0nes.deviantart.com/art/Easiest-Tunic-Ever-529754823

For a top layer, I'd suggest a simple tabard, if you're not going to make armor. Easiest way to get a winter one going is just to pick up a piece of fleece in a color you like without any modern patterns. You'll want it to be at least twice as long as your shoulder to your knee, and as wide as your shoulders. Fold it in half to find the middle, cut a head hole out so that the two long sides will be in front and behind you, throw it on, and belt it over the top of the tunic and tabard both.

A belt pouch is super handy as well, I carry one of these : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QU357Y/ref=twister_B000KZEEYS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
It's cheap, and while modern, isn't distractingly so.

A hat of some kind never hurts as well, even if it's just a solid color bandanna.

i am 6ft 4inch so hopefuly i can find somone that fits at goodwill. thanks for costume idea's i havent hand stitch before so dont know if i can make anything out of fabric, going hit up few places today if i not pull away with work. i saw beard/wig at party city online going see if they have it store , highly dout it then maybe ill head to good will take walk around for idea's

my costume for far.
not going use all parts of this set. but some. may cut off sleeves bit to tight around arms
http://www.partycity.com/product/ad...om=Search&navSet=robin hood&bypass_redirect=1
wig/beard combo
i might just do beard part and try add few more brads or something
http://www.partycity.com/product/nordic+god+wig.do?navSet=279676

i got few m mats for weapon 1/2" (( didnt have 5/8" )) round pipe with pipe instulation then some foam padding / duct tape / electrical tape. i going try make a weapon . if i fail i hope i can use loaner at site i heard about. may temp to make shield too
didnt get to go to goodwill cause i spent 160 today and out 200 i have =D

so my temp on weapon is pretty bad. i read PDF guide and look at images it has but seem very confusing and missing steps or better way to explain steps. ill bring my weapon but most like going fail and ill have to take loaner. Next is temp to make shield >_<

What weapon/weapons are you planning to use? I might have extras depending on what you need, and if I don't have them, someone else probably does.

Back