Discovery beneath Atupal: The Moridi

koremorleth

Before the last gathering, a self-proclaimed treasure hun....excuse me, archeologist named Hiram McMillon, sent a request to all of us in Atupal regarding his desire to explore what he thought was a tomb of sort in the ground beneath where we landed Atupal two years ago. A small group of adventurers took him up on his offer, and delved into the caves and chasms beneath the surface of Gavaria. This is an accounting of what they found, courtesy of Atradimas, who updated me on what was found the following morning at breakfast.

Originally, Atradimas explained that they were simply looking for any treasures or trinkets that may remain behind. After all, who doesn't want to find something interesting and old in unexplored ruins? Instead, they discovered something that is far more relevant to our current situation than anyone could have predicted.

Long ago, before the founding of the Kingdom of Gavaria 500 years ago, there was an ancient race of beings who called themselves the Moridi, who appear as mushroom people, with fungal growths all over their bodies. There were a small number of these mushroom people, and they attacked the adventurers and were initially mistaken as undead by some. One of these beings, far more vibrant in the fungal growths on her body, was trapped in a Circle of Power that appeared to be powered by moridium. Her name is Lucreia Bolette. And this is what she told them:

She was the head scientist in a city called Rycena, which no longer exists. According to Lucreia, long ago her people made the decision to breed strigoi. From what I can tell after hearing this, it seems that long ago the strigoi were not as they are now. They were wild, unintelligent creatures, and the Moridi began to breed them in captivity, much like cattle or sheep or pigs today. The reason that they decided to do this is because of their blood. As we know today, the strange substance known as moridium is quite literally strigoi blood, and it has powerful magical potential, though on its own it is not magical.

The Moridi held a vast, expansive empire that, according to Bolette, covered nearly the entire peninsula, albeit underground. And this empire was entirely powered and sustained by the blood of the strigoi. By moridium. The Moridi bred strigoi to harvest their blood to power their empire. Unfortunately, that was their undoing. The strigoi perhaps developed some sort of base intelligence and rose up against the Moridi, causing the destruction of Rycena, the capitol city of the empire. However, the rebellion of the strigoi was only the catalyst for the destruction of Rycena. Lucreia Bolette, in an attempt to quell the uprising, unleashed a gas that destroyed the clutch that rebelled and the Moridi who were trapped inside the city. And Lucreia, as you will see from the scraps of her notes, does not regret her actions.

Atradimas described her as genocidal and a lunatic. Though initially she appeared an innocent, as she went more in-depth about her actions it became clear that she was not innocent. She claims that her colleagues trapped her within it for the horrific deeds she did. It's unclear how long she has been there. The Circle appears to sustain her life, she requires no food or water to survive, and it's unclear if the moridium circle was her own doing or the actions of her colleagues to keep her alive until she could stand trial. At one point, Gregor placed a hand into the Circle to retrieve items from within and pass a notebook to Lucreia, and he recalls that it felt like "[his] spirit was being rendered apart." It's unclear if this is caused by Lucreia or the Circle itself. Because she's been trapped for so long, she apparently wanted to try to kill herself to end her suffering. But she learned about the recent developments regarding the strigoi of today and changed her mind. Whether that was wise to tell her remains to be seen.

But what is most troubling, is that Lucreia is the one who created the original gas that Countess Thorn turned into a fog to attempt to destroy the troglodytes in Atish. And how the strigoi gained their intelligence. Below are Lucreia's notes that were found, which will provide context and further information for and about what has been written here thus far.

Lady Kore of Puxil Cove

Last edited:
Excerpts from Lucreia Bolette's journal

1 day after the fall of Rycena
If anyone finds this, know that I did what I had to to save the remaining Moridi. To those that did not flee the city in time, your deaths will slow the strigoi for the others. I was clever enough to have a safeguard in case the strigoi ran amuck, and I thank the Sovereign for not paying close enough attention to my designs. I did what I had to. The city had to be purged. I did my fellow Moridi a favor. I gave them a quick death. To the strigoi, I gave that clutch extermination. To any that got out by the surface, may the shifting fortress make your foolish choice swift. To those that fled by underground, forgive me.

From the description here, Rycena must have been located beneath the mountain that the Protean Retreat resides upon, just south of where the town of Fluga now resides.
6 days after the fall of Rycena
10 of my most trusted assistants and 20 specimens managed to escape the carnage of the rebellion. Too many. We bred too many. Even with their short lifespans, they hatched too quickly from the latest clutch. We became too reliant on their blood. Who would have known the entire city would fall to a wave of insects. 500 years of civilization destroyed in a single night.

The Moridi Empire lasted for 500 years before it fell to the strigoi. From the fall, we don't yet know how many years lie between our time today and then.
18 days after the fall of Rycena
We lost another assistant. We're down to 8. Apparently they thought my suggestion to supply the remaining specimen with creatures of great power was foolish. We lost to the strigoi once, why make them more powerful? He can certainly continue his side of the debate at the bottom of the gorge, should he survive the 1000ft fall.

34 days after the fall of Rycena
The results were incredible. The strigoi's blood nearly quadrupled in potency. Not only that, but it seems to be able to hold/absorb magic to be used for daily uses. After multiple rituals that failed to take hold, I have discovered that these strigoi produce Moridium that can store: Spirit Walk, March of the Untiring, and Spirit Recall. Phenomenal discovery. To think it took a dead Sphinx, a dead purple dragon, and a handful of small fae to do it.

Atradimas confirmed that the fae Bolette is referring to are the Taugs.
88 days after the fall of Rycena
My associates are worried about the test of a new gas against the strigoi. It's very clear the 20 specimens of this generation won't be killed off by the gas that killed them in Rycena. That is where this new formula comes in. There was a flower that grew in the cracks of stone that had a remarkable resilience. This is something I need to test.

90 days after the fall of Rycena
We lost 5 of the strigoi. They didn't die, they mutated, well, then we killed them. I didn't kill them. My assistants did. Apparently the large gem-like growths weren't just cosmetic but also came with increased growth of the creature and the restraints to their rigs buckled. Oh I wish I could have seen how powerful they could have become. I will make note of this for future uses.

360 days after the fall of Rycena
I don't know how I missed it, but one of the 15 remaining became a Queen. I didn't think one would just emerge. I was worried I'd have to go to Rycena to find new eggs or any remnants. Perhaps with a new generation of strigoi we can unlock further abilities with their blood. It's quite wonderful.

371 days after the fall of Rycena
There were survivors. Moridi survivors. 2 of my assistants are dead. I fear they will lead them back to this lab with whatever research they had on them. I'm so close. The unlimited potential of this batch's blood. I can't let them die here. One day, something new will come to this land. Those Gryphons can't keep watch forever. I'm letting the Queen go. May she grow, produce, die and give way to generations upon generations of strigoi. MY strigoi. Remember my name. I, Lucreia Bolette, created Strigoi Batch #00231, the perfe----

The entry is abruptly cut off here.
2 years after the fall of Rycena
The subjects are becoming rather adaptive to their unique conditions down here. While not ideal, it's the best that can be done until those left within Rycena die off until their new spawn in 100 years. It was foolish to think we could breed so many of them for their blood and not have them rebel. That's certainly The Sovereign's fault. If he had let me just introduce a new specimen for them to adapt, it would have dulled their senses.

These are the journal entries of Lucreia Bolette. The woman who, by her own admission, created the strigoi of today.

Transcribed by Lady Kore

Last edited:
Back