Changes in nobility

There will changes in the responsibilities of each of our nobles. This is more of a division of labor than any real change in what we are doing. We have some details to hash out before it goes up but will get it up here soon.

Who are the current nobles?

-Gideon

Current nobility consists of baroness alhana, sir neo, sir karstark, baron gareth and myself. Although Gareth has yet to be seen in Ardik.
Several others have honorary lordships or ladyships.

This will be edited and added to in the coming months.
Warden - army, police and national security
Magus - matters of magic
Consul - foreign governments
Parliamentarian civil matters, presiding over trials and law making
Marshal - judges and special investigators
Steward - make laws
Citizen - vote for stewards

The Warden of Ardik.
The warden is primarily focused on the defense of Ardik as well as the enforcement of laws.
The Magus of Ardik
The responsibilities of the Magus include the oversight of all magic guild, placement of circles both permanent and does that last only five days. Also any investigations dealing with strange Magics. Matters of Magic (Enchanter's Domain)
All circles lasting longer than 1 hour must have a responsible party reported to the Consul or an appropriate circle master. Said party is accountable for all activities relating to their circle.
All circles laster longer than 5 days require pre-approval from the Consul or an appopriate circle master.
All greater circles will be assigned a circle master. In addition to activity responsibility, they must maintain a list of all invested members, and ensure someone is availabe for public utilization of the circle within a reasonable time frame, generally considered to be 1 hour. All citizens have the right to utilize circles for identification and resurection, standard fees apply.

The parliamentarian of Ardik. The responsibilities of the Parliamentarian are to oversee the Senate, collection of citizens taxes, and all internal issues within Ardik. Civil Issues (Parliamentarian's Domain)
Each citizen of the realm, regardless of status, is to pay taxes equalling not more than 10% of annual income, to a max of 10 gold per year.
Taxes are in August and render and individual in good standing for remainder of the year.
Administrative pay will be dispensed at the end of the year, not to equal more than taxes individually paid.

The consul of Ardik. The consul is responsible for all negotiations and dealings with foreign governments. This includes peace treaties, declarations of war, trade deals, and alliances.

Marshal responsibilities
Marshals can be selected by either the nobles or the senate. Stewards of the senate can select a marshal to investigate any specific issue. Marshals selected by the nobles can act in place of a noble in matters of law. This includes the right of summary judgment. Although after a decision of guilt, if the Marshall believes that death is an appropriate punishment a noble must be involved.

Steward responsibilities
Will meet regularly to discuss and vote on changes to the law. All laws or changes to laws must be submitted for discussion at least 1 month prior to any vote. Veto of any law requires 4 nobles to overturn said law.

Citizens responsibilities
All laws or changes to laws must be submitted for discussion at least 1 month prior to any vote. Veto power must be enacted at least 3 days before any scheduled vote.
Laws already in existance cannot be vetoed, they must be voted on for change or removal.
The vote for Stewards will be held the august market gathering of the year. Candidates must apply no more than 1 month in advance and no less than 1 week in advance.
A Stewards term lasts from new year to year.
No Stewards may serve two consecutive years.
The Steward must be a citizen in good standing.
Only citizens in good standing (taxes current) may vote for a Steward. Paying taxes places you in good standing for the remainder of the calendar year.
Privileges of citizenship. Priority resurrection. Free identification of magic items at the Celestial circle. Only citizens can be invested with in limited or permanent circles. Free access to teaching provided by the nobles or their agents. No charge for erecting spellcrafted circles of power.
Access to town resources, like the town box. It also grants you the right to set up shops, farms and other businesses.

Fees for non citizens
Magic item identification 1 gold per item
5 day circles 5 gold
Spellcrafted circles 2 gold per market day
Shops farms and other businesses 1 gold per month

I do not like this.

Is this coming from the Empire, or something that is being created by the adventurers?

What is the difference between a spellcrafted Circle and a 5-day circle?

-Gideon

Maybe I'm mistaken but A spell crafted circle last as many days as the amount of high magic you put into it. A circle put up without any sort of extender only last five days?

The empire asked that we codify our power structure. This is our attempt to do so. Becoming a citizen and paying the 10% or 10 gold, that money will go to the townbox. So that we can buy things we will need like planar gate and asylum. Ritual of woe, gift of life.

You are mistaken.

A battle cast circle lasts 1 hour.
A spell-crafted circle lasts 5 days
A ritually cast Limited circle last 5 years

Would you care to be more specific about what you don't like?

At it core level, I do not think adventurers should hold legal sway over other adventurers. Nobles do paperwork, adventurers do work.

The overall population of the town was about 18 people last market day. You've listed 7 roles. One of which needs to serve as a consul having multiple members.

I do not like the concept of citizens and non-citizens. If an adventurer comes to town to help, they should not charged for magic item identification because they haven't been here before.

You're paying 'administrative pay' to a bunch of people who aren't doing anything but restricting people. If you can give me some examples of how any of these noble roles help grow the town, I might be more agreeable.
I'm not sure what the tax money will be used for, you say 'buying planar asylums' but that will be based on some nobles' preference.
What qualifies income? If I get paid 100 gold to fix the planes but I had to buy 95 gold worth of scrolls to do it, am I taxed on 100 or 5?

If we have to satisfy some qualification of the Empire, then we should do the minimum required, or not be a part of them.

Adventurers don't do well with bureaucracy.
-Gideon

Maybe I'm mistaken but A spell crafted circle last as many days as the amount of high magic you put into it. A circle put up without any sort of extender only last five days?

Rits cast without an extender are now base 1 year. You have been around to long dear Havok.
Magus/Consul/Enchanter are used interchangably, you may wish to edit for clarification.

I would actually prefer some outside force acting as the Mayor of Ardick than an adventurer.

-Gideon.

Rits cast without an extender are now base 1 year. You have been around to long dear Havok.
Magus/Consul/Enchanter are used interchangably, you may wish to edit for clarification.

Respectfully, no circles of powers last a year (let's ignore extend battle magic). Circles are either 5 days, 5 years, or permanent.

Circles of power rituals don't require an extender ritual because of their nature.

If we have to satisfy some qualification of the Empire, then we should do the minimum required, or not be a part of them.

Adventurers don't do well with bureaucracy.
-Gideon

If we do not rule ourselves, the Empire will rule us. And they have the means to do so. The populace as a whole decided to leave the Valdanian nobles in charge, so we are dealing with the bureaucracy side of things.

Even with all of the above, we do not yet meet the minimum requirements. It is a work in progress.

If we do not rule ourselves, the Empire will rule us.

In my opinion, that is preferable. At least if it's tyranny the adventurers can rise up together to deal with it. When the waters get muddied, it's much harder to see clearly.

I'm not sure I gave the townsfolk a choice Alana

Respectfully, there is always a choice.

-Gideon

First, do I look like someone who pushes paper?
Second we thought that some adventurers might want a voice on how things are handled. You don't need to or have to participate. Citizens have an official Voice. Noncitizens do not. If you're not a citizen and don't have your own circle of power to identify an item in, And you don't want to pay to have it identified give the items to somebody who is a citizen and don't pay.
Thrid, unrestricted and unregulated adventurers do stupid things. For example make deals with Genesis, play with dangerous artifacts. And generally get themselves into trouble. as to administrative pay we thought that some type of reward for being involved would help encourage people to do so.
Fourth, when I say buying a planar asylum scroll. That is so if you wish to try to fix the planes but that cost doesn't have to come directly out of your pocket or mine we all donate to the common good. When I say donate I mean it. You're choosing to donate if you wish to become a citizen.
Fifth, as to the 10 gold or 10%. I watched as everyone in the town last market they collected 10 Gold plus, during the destruction of despair. If every adventurer collects that much over the course of the year, that would be 60 gold. 10% =6 gold. If you're feeling that it is unfair about how much you are being taxed on you can feel free to discuss it with the nobles and we might change our decision. As long as you can justify what you're telling us.
Finally, as to the empire. We have two choices. We can either govern ourselves or they can do it for us. So we chose to do it for ourselves rather than become part of the empire.
As a sidenote, what do the nobles do? I realize that you have not been around very long. So I will explain. At least one of the Nobles has been at the spear point of attacking every major conflict the adventures have ever seen both here and in arden. I will gladly relinquish my place at the point of that spear if you wish to take it.

I would argue that placing yourself at the spear-point was the work of Adventurer HaVok, not Noble HaVok.
I am not trying to diminish your accomplishments, just trying to point out that they happened without oversight already.

I am just one voice, and I suppose we disagree on things. That is fine.

-Gideon

I suppose I could lead from the back. But how can I ask other adventurers to do but I'm not willing to do myself? When I was just having a member of the house the games not sir havok. Not lord havok or baron havok. You can have no doubt that I place myself in front of others, because that's the only way I can do my job. You see a separation between havoc the adventure and havok The noble. There isn't one. I have no idea why the king chose me. I can only assume it is because I try to do what is right. My job as havok, Member of the house of games was to keep my people safe. I did that by putting myself between them and whatever was trying to kill them. As a Lord and a noble I do the same thing just now I have a bigger group

Back