Most Popular Magic In Your Chapter

Draven

Count
I'm just curious:

In your chapter, do you experience a prevalence of once scholar type over another? E vs C vs Split (not counting folks who just get a little of one or the other, someone who wants to be a true dual-scholar).

What chapter is that, and what's the experience?

Oregon (as Im Logistics) tends to have a very even split of the two. Caster's outnumber pure fighters/rogues/scouts though. And a few of them still pick up some spells. We tend to see twice as many casters as we do melee classes.

I can't say for sure, but up in the Calgary chapter there seems to be a more or less even split among regular players (here meaning "shows up to almost every event barring unfortunate circumstances"), but among all players probably swings slightly towards Celestial.

Because dual-casting is illegal in-game in our chapter, I would also assume the number of split casters is either single-digit or in the low teens, if there are any dual-casting PCS at all. (I'm sure there are, I just don't know of any off the top of my head.)

I can't say for sure, but up in the Calgary chapter there seems to be a more or less even split among regular players (here meaning "shows up to almost every event barring unfortunate circumstances"), but among all players probably swings slightly towards Celestial.

Because dual-casting is illegal in-game in our chapter, I would also assume the number of split casters is either single-digit or in the low teens, if there are any dual-casting PCS at all. (I'm sure there are, I just don't know of any off the top of my head.)

Has that been generally well-received from a customer service standpoint?

I can't speak for all the others in Calgary. But I don't mind it. This law mostly causes some interesting Role Play situations from my point of view. There are a couple people who think us having this Law in our game is a stupid idea. But even though its illegal to have both magics. Characters have ways to use the other magics. Earth Casters can learn Read Magic and cast a couple scrolls, as well as use Celestial Magic Items as long as they aren't Evocation. Celestial Casters can use Earth Magic Items, as long as they aren't Curses.

Last edited:
I'd say you also can't tell which school your Bind spell was from

I fall into the seemingly small category of players who think it's a bit silly, but I'm not so bothered by it that I'm going to cause a fuss over it either in or out of game; most people seem to like that it's in place, for various reasons. It certainly leads to more cooperation between players of the different schools in general, and the changes coming in 2.0 should amplify this in a good way, based on what I've seen so far. Plus Expanded Enchantment basically renders the law more or less moot at a certain point.

I'd agree with it being a bit silly for that reason.

Also because I have issues with making basic game functionality outside of the universal setting constants like Necromancy illegal.

It's actually handled really well by everyone; there’s an in-game reason the law is in place, the caster guilds have a friendly rivalry of sorts going on, the PCs pick more or less balanced adventuring parties, and after a couple of events most casters have a mentor or two in their respective guild so they don't feel left out of much.

About the only frustrating thing for me is that my character doesn't want to join the Earth caster guild, and that limits his ability to learn new spells and spell levels, but I make due. :p

It appears to me that quite a few people in Calgary do not like this in-game law. As far I know , no one has done anything in-game yet to change it.

Edit: I mean to encourage in-game actions to make these things better and what I wrote may have appeared to mean the opposite.

What concern me more is the fact that created a negative impact in game that we barely had any healers for a while because our game's backstory creates a feeling that the Earth caster are to be watched and that the magic has nearly been outlawed.

Last edited:
It appears to me that quite a few people in Calgary do not like this in-game law. As far I know , no one has done anything in-game yet to change it. I hope that plot would be willing to work with anyone who would want to work on that. I am sure it would be easy but I hope they will make it possible.

What concern me more is the fact that created a negative impact in game that we barely had any healers for a while because our game's backstory creates a feeling that the Earth caster are to be watched and that the magic has nearly been outlawed.

Actually we have as many Earth Casters as we do Celestial casters. The Earth Casters "police" themselves more than the Celestials do to be honest. It's rather fascinating. There is a "perception" the other way, but rarely do the Celestials get involved other then bringing the matter up to the head of the Earth Weavers.

That is true the Earth casters are policing themselves quite a bit. It creates a very interesting dynamic. I should have mentioned that the earth and celestial casters are more balance in number now. Thank you Mythic.

Last edited:
Celestial pffft

So... erm... as an existing and mostly lawful minded dual school caster... what happens if I can get to Calgary?

Last edited:
I think MaxIron was more asking about what he'd have to do to bring his character to the chapter without being thrown in the stocks or executed for breaking the law? And I can't really answer that, but I'm sure either @mythic or @Lapaki would be able to. The question itself is slightly off-topic, though, so you might want to either make a new thread in our OOG section or message one of them directly. :)

So... erm... as an existing and mostly lawful minded dual school caster... what happens if I can get to Calgary?
You don't tell anyone you can cast Earth. :p

Lol. Just don't teach the other school to a Caster of Celestial or Earth and you are fine. ;)

Psst. I won't tell anyone if I happen to learn things. Haha

Back