Identity..?

Saro

Artisan
Hello Friends!
I hope the winter is not too cold for you. I am swell. Just a few thoughts that have been circling in my mind. It is hard to be an adventurer. You lay your life on the line for a town to be attacked the next day. Now don't get me wrong, I believe in serving the greater good. It's the only thing that provides me with purpose, however, when fighting bandits and banishing undead, is all you remember, it's hard to define yourself.
Many elves have a rich culture and family to think back to. All I have is my adventuring friends. My companions are at the stars in my sky. But I have no history. No instilled values to fall back on. All I know about what it means to be an elf is what I have learned among fellow adventurers.
Still I am lost. As if I am a boat stuck in the middle of the ocean. A small row boat with only a few core directions.
Am I even really an elf?
Sorry if this was too sad. I've just been feeling this very deeply since I have been away from my friends...
With Love,
Saro

P.S let's have a bonfire when we see each other again!

Saro,

If I may say something- what you have here is an exciting opportunity. A scary one yes- but also exciting.

You get to decide who you are- YOU get to say what you believe in and what you want. Your choices are purely your own. You step forward now- into the unknown with very little direction- except what your heart is telling you. Listen.

Perhaps it is hard when your history and sense of self are not as long lived as others- as a human I find many of my friends and allies have decades on me and will have decades after I am gone. It leaves me at times feeling- insignificant.

However -something you said has struck a cord with me- you said "I believe in the greater good. It's the only thing that provides me with purpose."- my friend you just found the star to set your course to. No matter what has defined you up to this moment - history has been written- you know where you want to go. Your path will not be straight and easy- none are- but you know it ....the greater good.

The battles you face and the struggles that will come - from the outside, from your friends, from your allies, yourself- will cause you to pause and again ask who you are. Good- question. Every step pause and reevaluate - every step make yourself!

You are not the history of the elves - they are a part of you - but you are a definition of yourself. Your choices make you who you are in this world. Your friends and fellow adventures will only be parts of you- ropes coming from your boat. Ropes that will pull you to them or set you from them... possible pull you down or speed you up- but they are only small parts. Because in time - my elven friend- the ropes will fall away- you may untie them or they may untie themselves - new ones will be added- and fate may untie them forever. I consider myself your friend - and my rope is tied to your boat- but you are long lived and I am not- so one day fate will reach down and remove me- but you will still be you.

So my recommendation is simple- trust your boat- although it may seem small in a big ocean- it is not - the ropes tied to it help it make it bigger and stronger. Your may feel lost- I cannot say you are not- but I can say the ocean has lights, set along your ropes to guide you. They fight the darkness with you and they guild you if you let them. Remember your friends boats are on the ends of those ropes - the lights theirs. And when they sit alone as you are now... they see a rope on their lost little boat, they look down it and see a light- and they know Saro is with them. Share the strength in the ocean.

Until we meet again- if you need me I am here - my rope and light yours . My limited knowledge at your disposal and my care never ending.

My apologies if this is long winded - perhaps I am lonely as well in this cold.

Yours In Service,
Cyn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sorrow,
As a changed man myself I felt something different growing up and couldn't find it till I changed my race. I finally know who I am and what I'm suppose to do. Took me many years to figure t out but you will find your way soon.

Pyke

Back