General Meeting Notes (3/12/17)

Cory Walker

Scholar
These are my notes from the meeting, posting per request. If there is something I missed, feel free to post here and I will add it.

Camp?
  • Girl Scout Camp (where out game has been held for the last few years) is closed and we are not sure if it will open again.
  • All other camps in our area are twice as expensive.
  • General Meeting was called to discuss, feel out our player base, and make a united decision regarding camp and our game.
  • Likely going to be tent camping this season, which Thetford acknowledges sucks for travelers especially.
  • Questions were asked about the Boy Scout Camp; it closed October 2016. Thetford has tried to contact them as well, but both Girl and Boy Scout camps are owned by the locale rotary clubs.
  • Cassidy said that her family has 21 acres of land (land if currently for sale), still would have to tent.
  • Tory's lead was too expensive (paintball area)
  • We are considering tent events and then maybe splurging at the end of the year for one of the expensive camps for our closer.
  • Summer suggested both IG and OOG auctions to help with funding; everyone agreed was a good idea.
  • Thetford check two hour radius out of Traverse in regards to camps
  • No one was against tent events as long as their were bathrooms/porta-potties.
  • If we are tenting with no structure (tavern building or pavilion without electricity), there will be NO TAVERN or FOOD provided. Will be up to PCs feed themselves or someone might see incentive make some extra coin (by sharing or making food).
  • With tent camping over cabin camping, we (both PCs and the NPCs) will feel the seasons more (the colder spring and fall temps plus weather)
  • Was asked about the costs of events; overall the group was cohesive about keeping the price for events the same for this season
  • July Event? We could have events in July again if we wanted (before we were not able to do because that is when the Scouts used the camps) or have community day. IG/OOG auction was brought up again for this event.
  • Thetford asked what everyone's travel distance was. Matt B said about a hour and half for a local chapter. We are also limited how far south we can go because of Alliance South Michigan.
  • Thetford will work on finding tent sites and get a schedule posted soon.
  • With tents, there will be no rogueing tents. Questions were asked about wards, and yes this lose their value for the time being until we get a site with structures.
  • Also with tents, will not be combat by them (strings/trip hazards).
Plot
  • Revising the 2017 IBGA Policy (will be updated on forums and website soon)
    • Being limited to one action; craftsman may help in this action but no longer yield an extra action.
    • IBGA will 90% of the time result in IG plot and/or encounters; this is your way of letting us know what you are especially interested in and wish to explore. Or if you wishing to speak to a specific NPC.
    • IBGA deadline will be two weeks before an event. Plot team usually meets in-between events and have lives outside of larp that sometimes last minute IBGA responses get hard.
    • You will only get a IBGA response if you are attending an event; the purpose of these IBGA again is create plot and mods that you are interested in. If you are not attending an event, please refrain for submitting an IBGA.
    • Still have to pre-reg in order to submit an IBGA. Most of plot team gets notifications when pre-reg forms are submitted. (Winter/Opener IBGA will be excluded, but again please only submit an IBGA if you are planning on attending)
    • IBGA will be submitted through our website soon, similar to pre-reg.
    • Brigit brough up the idea of intent (of your IBGA) box, which sounds like a great idea
    • There will be winter/opener IBGAs; Cory was waiting until after general meeting and some of his concerns before working with the plot team. Expect some postings in April for you to react to or to submit IBGA of your own choosing.
  • PC Town (related to camp);
    • brought up the relation of camp(s) changing with the town changing. That the mists shifts and forces PCs off what buildings, circles, and walls they had build over the year exposing new ruins of the area.
    • Everyone seemed to like the idea
    • Circles were the main concern; plot will work to resolve these in plot ways.
    • The portal would be the center part of the mist shifting and would still be there.
  • The Mists and Mist Effects
    • Cleared up there was never an obliterate given or on the Mists list; pure PC rumor that ultimately ended up scaring other PCs from traveling in the Mists;
    • With that said plot team learned it's lesson with Mists effects and look to the opener for deal with that (Cory wouldn't say more about that)
    • Mist will still affect travel, but probably similar in ways how it did to first half of least season (might not get to the correct destination or mist travel encounters
  • Grouping up
    • Mods going forward are going to be tailored and written for about 5 players with various skills
    • Discussion about how the game is a lot more fun with playing with others.
    • Bring someone you might not bring along or is new; you might just make their event awesome by doing so.
    • The Mists is more likely going to be the limiter
    • With that said, if you are frustrated and can't get anyone to go on your mod, talk to Cory or Thetford.
  • Night-time difficulty and Monster Camp Cut-Off
    • At nighttime, things are going to be more difficult both IG and OOG.
    • OOG: Tent camps are very unlikely to have outside lights
    • IG: This is when difficult encounters and monsters tend to spawn from the Mists.
    • OOG: Plot team is usually trying to get out a lot of things out both Friday and Saturday nights, that sometimes get muddled/slowed down by PCs (not intentionally) seeking more personal or side plot.
    • There will be better pacing and foreshadowing this year of the bigger fights or problems coming (unless there is a reason for there not too, like a giant mist monsters coming from the Mists)
    • There will be a Monster camp cut off; monsters need sleep too! New camps, lack of light (and the safety concerns with that), and lack of knowledge of the camp all reasons.
    • But Monster camp will start earlier. Instead of things not starting backup around 10 to noon, things likely will start back up between 8 to 10. Aim is to make the best time of daylight as we can.
    • There were concerns about losing play time; is the same amount of time
    • Might be play time on Sunday mornings as well

Last edited:
New Rules
  • Jesse G and Mike V didn't like some of the new rules and used veto power
  • Not the whole thing, but certain rules were the cause of the veto
  • Don't know when new rules will be in or if ever
  • Playtesting is still needed with the new rules and as new rules are drafted to replace ones veto'd
  • Discussed maybe Sundays morning playtesting some or even targeted bubble mods
  • Lengthy discussion regarding magic items in relations to the new rules
  • As it stands now, we are very likely playing with the current rule-set for the next two seasons; probably more.
Misc
  • Transforms: Every chapter has them. Currently alliance as a whole is okay, but that could easily change. Ideally would work with regional chapters to make this process as seamless.
  • We need to see Alliance Chapters grow and expand; player (counting both PCs and NPCs) and has set attendance goals. Traverse City goal this season is 25 players an event.
  • Unfortunate event that losing our main camp, as it will make hitting these attendance more difficult
  • Discussed these attendance requirements; centered around smaller rural areas compared to larger cities
  • Growing includes staff positions
  • Potential penalty for not hitting our attendance goals could result in our alliance chapter being closed
  • Did a PR event at Cadicon (a convention in Cadillac, MI). Discussion about a table at C4 (convention in Traverse City). Discussed doing events at libraries (Cory did one in Cadillac teaching teens how to make larp weapons). If we do PR events, we need more then already staff helping represent the game, as only two people showed up in costume to represent at Cadicon.
  • Discussion about survey. Thetford liked the idea and would get together with Cory & Dave.
  • Interested on out of game get togethers to help build our community. Overall everyone seemed receptive.
  • Discussed staff incentives, may be a Staff LCO List and LCO List. Thetford is open about making incentives to make you want to be a staff member.
  • Discussed invading another chapter either early or late in the year.
  • ADDED: Need more marshals. Discussed PC Marshals, as long as they aren't directly involved and don't mind.

Last edited:
These are my notes from the meeting, posting per request.

• Thetford asked what everyone's travel distance was. Matt B said about a hour and half for a local chapter. We are also limited how far south we can go because of Alliance South Michigan.

I wouldn't stress about this, if something comes up.

• Mods going forward are going to be tailored and written for about 5 players with various skills
Meaning an IG cap on the number of people that can go on a mod? What is the motivation driving limiting group numbers?

• We need to see Alliance Chapters grow and expand; player (counting both PCs and NPCs) and has set attendance goals. Traverse City goal this season is 25 players an event.
  • Potential penalty for not hitting our attendance goals could result in our alliance chapter being closed
Is this count goal something new, or has it always been around? 25 Players average, or as a mark to hit once? What is the current average?

Looking forward to the new season. I think a lot of people really enjoyed the closer, and are excited for what's next. If getting a schedule for the whole season is proving difficult, give us a few dates, like the first two events, so people can better prepare for tent Larping.

-Joe

Meaning an IG cap on the number of people that can go on a mod? What is the motivation driving limiting group numbers?

Most of my concern was around this. I have more then 5 friends in my group. On top of friends outside. This policy seems like it'd enforce having to pick the best for mods, and leaving people behind. Especially new players, who might want to join. Kind of further reinforcing a cliche behavior we need to break, if we're going to increase attendance. Is this something you want to consider not being strict about?

It isn't a hard cap, just an ideal goal.

There is some variance between a larger group and most of town. Problem we sometimes run into with large group bordering on town is then that requires us to dedicate multiple npcs/runners and other people fall through the cracks. Flip side is we have some people that are one-sie and twos-ie also tying up a runner and sometimes another npc. It is certainly a fine line to balance. If you walk into the Mists with 9-10 people, to storm a castle, you might for example get divided up and one group might be storming one side and one the other, for example.

In another example you have 8 people who go off and do a mod, while 3 other are in the tavern doing nothing while waiting; in the past you might have invited them to come along. But then again maybe 3 from the group of 8 could break off to help them or go on a mod. Which would be more cliche breaking?

Ultimately our goals here (and will be while I am head of plot here in Traverse) is to make the PCs feel like heroes (or villains). This is easier to accomplish in smaller groups then most of town. Most of town going, average character level varies greatly that it never feels tuned perfectly that it falls somewhere in the middle; high levels plow through and do most of the work and monsters end up being a serious threat to the low levels. This should help with monster camp turn around with makeup, costuming, and less variable stat/explaining. Last season our PC to NPC ratio averaged 3 to 1. Our PC to Runner was between 5~9 to 1.

We are just trying to avoid either extremes if that makes sense.

Regarding the attendance goal, it is new. I had done a rough spreadsheet (more looking at the terms of npc to pc ratio and runner to pc ratios), so 25 isn't out of the question for this season, just harder with losing the camp and roughing it. Again these are rough numbers (done mostly off prereg), all last year, and some of the NPCs were here for a few hours type: May 36, June 28, August 28, Sept 26, Oct 32, and Nov 47. Travelers make a good portion of our PCs and we are more worried about roughing it affecting travelers desire to travel.

As to dates, I know Thetford is working on it. It should be posted soon, but looking like our opener will be in June. Glad to hear about our closer and excited for this season, we are excited too!:)

Honestly, while its not ideal, roughing it for a few events could be a lot of fun! I would have an excuse to make my recipe for lembas bread, and if a few of us want to splurge, we can have a period style feast! Imma learn to spitroast!

Please nobody get too upset by the notes. It is seeming like a bad thing to have posted them because most of the topics were better discussed in person. Most of what we brought up we were looking for feedback from players on how to make things better.

I am always free for a Hangout call or Skype call with anybody so if you have questions or concerns that hinder your happiness with this season please let me know. Many times talking in person is much better than trying to convey things through text on a board.

Most of what I am talking about is concerns people have voiced to me after reading this post. All the staff wants to make the game as great as it can be for all you. So please let us help you in any way possible :). I love hearing honest feedback from you all :).

So I was re-reading the notes, and I have a few things to add from my point.

1. If I'm informed ahead of time, I would not mind coming to a convention or something in character.
2. I know we have a few people in dagorhir that are in alliance, perhaps we could reach out to them more for the possibility of members?
3. What are requirements for staff? I could see myself being interested! I love coming to play, so I would love to be involved in making it happen!
4. Cherry fest? Could try to advertise there like Dagorhir does in the parade?
5. I myself am interested in the auction ideas, both IG and OOG. Would LOVE to be able to donate money and get some cool stuff out of it!
6. Are we doing a yearly membership thingy this year like last year? If so, to raise more money, perhaps we created another tier thats higher? Like donate x amount more, get some form of perk? (nothing game breaking. Like more gobbies or a SUPER SPECIAL SNACK)

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is more than willing to help out with both time and money. PUT ME IN COACH!

1. If I'm informed ahead of time, I would not mind coming to a convention or something in character.
Thanks! We do try to post in the forums or our facebook groups (are you members of both groups?) of events, reminders, or calls for help.

2. I know we have a few people in dagorhir that are in alliance, perhaps we could reach out to them more for the possibility of members?
If you know any that are interested, get them to the game. Biggest thing I can recommend though sometimes is to get them to place (at least the first session) whatever side of the fence (PC or NPC) that you are playing so they at least have on familar-ish person.

3. What are requirements for staff? I could see myself being interested! I love coming to play, so I would love to be involved in making it happen!
It depends on the position. I will try to get Thetford to post a list of positions. If you are interested in plot, I can send that to you.

4. Cherry fest? Could try to advertise there like Dagorhir does in the parade?
Not a bad idea.

5. I myself am interested in the auction ideas, both IG and OOG. Would LOVE to be able to donate money and get some cool stuff out of it!
A big key to these auctions also includes wanted donations. Things that go really well are quality costuming, pouches, bracers, jewelry, or custom stuff. I have also seen things be donated (by fellow players) go dirt cheap and not raise as much money as the donator hoped, these items tend to be more out of game items such as metal swords or board games.

6. Are we doing a yearly membership thingy this year like last year? If so, to raise more money, perhaps we created another tier thats higher? Like donate x amount more, get some form of perk? (nothing game breaking. Like more gobbies or a SUPER SPECIAL SNACK)
Chris will work out season passes (soon). Can always donate cash for goblin stamps. It has been brought up about other chapters doing goblin point mini-packages and is something we have yet to discuss.

Are the attendance goal numbers, PC + NPC or PC only numbers?

Is there anything we can do now to help?

Do you need help pricing out the play no play packages(It's kind of late in season but, you know)?

Would money now help? Can I pay the season pass price from last year? Would that help?

There's a few of us who are anxious to help out anyway we can. So let us know instead of letting us sit with idle hands.

Is there anything we can do now to help?

Do you need help pricing out the play no play packages(It's kind of late in season but, you know)?

Would money now help? Can I pay the season pass price from last year? Would that help?

There's a few of us who are anxious to help out anyway we can. So let us know instead of letting us sit with idle hands.

Last that I know of, we are still working on settling site and trying to avoid as much scheduling conflicts as possible (which is hard this late in the year; trying to avoid Somi and Chicago events as well personal scheduling conflicts of staff members).

I am pretty sure Thetford will get schedule, season pass, and site information out soon™. We do appreciate all the offer of love, support, and aid. I know April 21st we are going through our costuming, so their might be donation requests shortly after that for monster camp. Wish I had better answers, but will flag Thetford to this post and see if he is able to provide any answers.

Plot - PC Town - Suggestion about the circle concerns: They are all located nearish the portal, which will remain as the mist shifts, perhaps the circles remain as well. OR. Each area has circles, but they would have to be a: found and b: figured out how to enter. This provides fun "conditions" that change each event. One event perhaps only blacksmiths can freely pass in/out and use the earth circle. etc. Sucks if we have no blacksmith with healing arts... plot would have to watch the pre-regs and judge accordingly. In the long run, having a multitude of circles in the area would be a nightmare to keep track of, so utilizing this route would also require a reason for short term circles. OR. For this season, make an lco effect that due to the proximity and fluctuation of the portal/mist all limited circles act as greater circles (cannot be extended). Anywho, we have options. I'm sure the plot team will come up with a good one.

Nighttime Monster Camp Cut-Off - I totally get the safety and sleep side of it. What I don't want to see, is bam, 2am, go to bed. If npcs are still ramped up, let them come out as RP characters? Even if they don't, pcs, this is a GREAT time for things like, parties/bonfires, dragon poker, etc. Gogo community bonding!

Food - I strongly urge everyone to group up and plan meals for their group. No one wants to live on pb&j all weekend (except you, you monster!). We have quite a few travelers and things like grills take up space. Maybe try to incorporate a local with resources into your dinner party? I hate seeing people go hungry.

Will someone fill me in on what's happening the 21st... since monster camp is in my basement? Thanks!

Back