Regarding the Fate of Dargok the Unkillable: Context

MacFawkes

Artisan
To the people of New Acarthia,

I know that there has been a great deal of discussion and some confusion about the recent decision to release Dargok the Unkillable. For the sake of providing clarity that as many people as possible can make informed opinions, I would like to provide some context about the events leading up to the controversial choices to release Dargok.

To begin with, let us look back to the beginning of the War of A Thousand Skirmishes. Small battles against the races of the Howling Woods had been a constant in our history for nearly 200 years, but it escalated to full war 12 years ago. A baronial knight, Dame Dreifan, abandoned her oaths and sought to kill infant ogres and orcs in their sleep, to “prevent the next generation from becoming a threat.” This action provoked the war with which we are all regrettably familiar.

When their leader, Dargok the Unkillable, and Acarthia's leader, Duke Jonathan Tiberion slew each other on the field of battle, it seemed as though the war might end, but after the Walk of the Dead in the year 415, Dargok's spirit was sought out by necromancers of Dargok's Chosen who took this as a sign to raise him in undead flesh that he might lead them once more. It was at this point that a spinner appeared to show us that something had gone wrong with the timelines; we were warned that time had taken a wrong turn, and we needed to fix the issue. Given that an ogre, a race of people who routinely revile necromancy, seemed to voluntarily accept the curse of undeath, this seems to corroborate the spinner's words. As I understand it, time-related events finally came to a head in November of 416, when a time quake device was built and used to “shock” the timelines back to their natural state.

Per the descriptions I have received from Sir Brom Albright, as soon as the timelines were fixed, Dargok saw what he had been turned into, despaired of his undead form, and turned himself over to the custody of the people of Acarthia. He waited in a magical prison until April, when his fate could be decided. As the Dargok who had committed the crime of necromancy was a being from a completely different timeline, it was decided by the gathered barons that we cannot charge this Dargok with those crimes.

During April's ducal gathering in 417, a high ogre by the name of Nogra from the Gnarltusk tribe demanded the return of Dargok, that they could put him to death for being an undead abomination. However, after the barons of Rivervale, Tiatar, Warchester, and Bayenna discussed plans with Her Grace, Duchess Ilianna Tiberion, we already intended to restore Dargok to mortality, and discuss further action after the fact; after all, there can be no true negotiation with the undead. Once Dargok was returned to mortal form, Baron Nordheim, Baroness Elavir, Baron Osborne, Sir Albright, and Lord Wolsey attempted to remove the link to his artifact weapon so as to leave it in the vault forever. For those who do not know, this weapon was the cause of Duke Jonathan Tiberion's death, and it possesses strange and powerful qualities that are likely necromantic in nature. We then discovered that the weapon is Spirit Locked and cannot be removed from Dargok the Unkillable's person, even with formal magic (which is the difference between a Spirit Link and Spirit Lock). The only way to destroy the sword, or remove it from Dargok, is through a specific series of actions, which the gathered nobility of Acarthia are presently addressing.

During discussions with Nogra and Dargok, the topic of reparations for war crimes was discussed. This war has been so long, and so many were slain on both sides, that it would be impossible to determine an appropriate response, especially given that the war was started by Dame Dreifan. For the sake of ending the cycle of death, Baron Nordheim, Baron Osborne, Baron Morningtide, and myself opted for an alternative.

Instead of forcing Dargok to face Acarthian justice, he has instead been sworn to devote his life to eradicating the necromantic faction from Dargok's Chosen, taking back the Howling Woods from the Epyxian invaders, and fostering peace with Acarthia; furthermore, he has sworn never again to use the blade that took Duke Jonathan Tiberion's life. The intention from here is to turn the Annex into a place where races that once warred might come together to discuss topics peaceably, that we might finally end this war. Afterward, the nobility or appointed representatives will maintain communication with Dargok and his people to continue the process of mutual aid, that we might all heal together.

I know that this is a hotly-discussed subject, and so I do not wish to discuss this via the dream realms, as I find the comparative anonymity provided typically does not allow for constructive conversation; however, I am happy to talk to people in person at our upcoming ducal gatherings, in the hopes of more open communication. Let me be clear that this decision has already been made, and the circumstances stand as they are; talking to me will not change that. However, if there are those who find themselves still confused, or in need of more information, I am happy to provide that as I am able. I will trust that the people of Acarthia will be mature and responsible enough to address their concerns face-to-face rather than to become involved in rumor-mongering and gossip. This was a very difficult decision to make, and the best we can do from here is to move forward honestly and responsibly.

If I am missing anything important, I invite the people of Acarthia to provide clarifying information as is helpful.

Thank you for your time and attention,
Baron Darius Rivervale.

IG: I'm listening Baron Darius. With your permission, I would like to speak with you more
in-depth on this subject in person.

Guildmaster Otaras,

I would be happy to speak with you about this, at your leisure. When will you next be gracing Acarthia with your presence?

I think that it is important to note that the necromantic weapon that Dargok used to kill Duke Tiberion was taken up by Dargok before he became undead. We believe it was given to him by Doomwing. This would provide evidence that Dargok had necromantic leanings even prior to his death, and I would very much like to know more about when and how he acquired this weapon.

As a clarifying point concerning the artifact:

Normally a Spirit Lock should be able to be removed through the use of Formal Magic, this case was an exception due to the artifact nature of what Dargok possesses. Furthermore, there was nothing discovered that suggested the true and permanent death of the wielder would not send the artifact to the registrar with the possessor.

Back