Fortress clarifications

Ken

Artisan
ARB Beta 2 said:
This spell provides its target with limited immunity to weapon attacks. The spell will last ten minutes or until the target breaks the spell’s physical requirements. The target of the spell must plant his or her feet and raise both arms above the head without crossing them. Moving either foot or lowering an arm ends the spell. Any body damage taken also breaks the Fortress. The target may touch-cast spells (on themselves only) but may use no other Game Abilities without breaking the protections of the Fortress. While the Fortress lasts, the target is immune to weapon blows of 10 or less.
  1. That's lower-case weapon, not Weapon Qualifier, so does this protect against physical delivery Poison-qualifier attacks?
  2. Not all weapon attacks do damage. Does fortress block swings like "Weapon Sleep" on the basis that 0 damage is less than 10, or do they go through on the basis that there's no damage number involved?
  3. Repel immediately ends Fortress if taken (due to loss of feet-planting), correct?

1. That is likely an oversight, it should be Weapon Qualifier attacks.

2. No, Fortress stops Weapon blows of 10 or less. No damage is not lessdamage than 10, it is simply no damage at all.

3. Yes, any effect that causes the player to break the physical requirements ends the spell. That could include Repel, Shackle, Web, Sleep, Stun Limb, Fear, Turn Undead, and potentially something else I'm not thinking of. Losing the stance because of an effect does not waive the requirement to hold the stance.

Upvote 0
1. By my interpretation, it would work against poison-qualifier weapon attacks; this is consistent with other weapon defenses that also block poison-qualifier physical delivery (Evade, Weapon Shield, Parry).

2. I agree with Dan; the first sentence is a summary (and a copy-paste from 1.3) of the effect. The final sentence is what dictates what the “limited immunity” actually is.

3. Yes, as Dan stated.

Upvote 0
The wording on Desecrate is much more clear and indicates that Desecrate prevents Weapon delivery, not weapon based attacks.

I am, like Dan, certain that the intention of the spell was to prevent Weapon delivered attacks dealing 10 or less points of damage, but the wording doesn’t support that.

It’s a first level spell, it protecting against a specific delivery, under certain circumstances, makes sense, but it’s probably worth clarifying the wording with something similar to how Desecrate is presented.

Upvote 0
Back