Dragon Mage

Sswanson

Artisan
Owner
Marshal
Wisconsin Staff
So I’ve heard conflicting answers and thoughts so I figured I would ask here:

what’s the requirements to be considered, or called, a Dragon Mage?

/listens intently

From the Player's Guide:
Dragon Magic: A spellcaster who can cast Formal Rituals as if they were standard spells. PCs may never possess this skill and only the most powerful NPC characters will ever possess it.

From the Player's Guide:

Thank you for your reference but I'm not looking for dragon magic, I'm looking for what the requirements are to call myself a Dragon Mage. I know at least a 4 column of each school is required and some amount of high magic in each school. I'm trying to find out what the numbers are exactly.

Also, there are effects in game that mimic these abilities in subtle and controlled ways. For instance, SF's Tidings allow this in the form of:

Wisdom of the Ages
  • Spell Awaken 3/e
  • Spell Silence 3/e
  • Cloak Command 1/e
  • Cloak Protection 1/e
  • Cloak Alteration 1/e
  • Activate Lore 2/e
  • Activate Vision 1/e

If I recall from 1.3:

8 column primary, 50 ranks formal
4 column secondary, 25 ranks of formal

Though could be completely wrong

This is why I ask questions! :)

I've now heard your one, both schools at 4 column and 30 high magic, both schools at 4 and 15 high magic and both schools at 4 and 25 high magic

Its probably the 2 4 columns and 25 each. Shadow mage is 50 and 4 column

My prior experience is from a much earlier version of the game so i suspect that the requirements have gone up.
You need at least 10 ranks of formal magic in both schools, and you were not allowed to spirit forge or race change at any point in your character's history. , you also had to cast a particular ritual that required 9 levels in each school and had a huge chance of backlash. It took a solid 2 hours of casting time so it required a double permant circle wich required a absurd amount of components and ibgas aimed at research.
It was pretty much the magical mount Everest and i have only met one person who pulled it off, and he only got to play with the ability when his transformation went active wich was maby once per year if he was a good little munchkin.
Honestly i think there are better ways to ubermage particularly under the new system.

So, because I like crunchy math estimations, like to look at things realistically, and hate myself in equal parts, I did some estimations based on the above prerequisites.

Assuming a prerequisite cost of 4 column and 25 high magic in each school, purchasing the required skills (including educated, first aid, healing arts, and read magic)would cost 461 build, (assuming no racials interacted with any of those skills).

For a brand new character, who took advantage of buybacks to start the game at 45 build, it would take roughly 576 blankets from that point to get to 461 build.

Assuming the person were able to make lightning strike and had goblin stamps/dragon stamps to make it happen, a person could make 128 blankets per year (2 per weekend x 52 weeks a year plus 12 monthly goblin blankets and 12 monthly dragon blankets). At this rate, the prerequisites listed above could be met in a mere 4.5 years of continuous play.

Ouch.

If it was easy, everyone would do it... You are missing the option to be getting 12 NPC blankets as well, assuming they NPC 12 events a year.

RAW a player character can never truthfully call themself a dragon mage, as the instant you actually have that ability, your character becomes an NPC. You could perhaps call yourself capable of dragon magic, but you're still missing some catalyst to actually cast dragon magic.

I just wanted to hop in as a very, very old school player and say that Ryan B is correct. Remember it was Formals as highmagic wasnt a thing. Also Formals were 4 build each for a scholar and you didnt get any bonus to having them.

It was also an unobtainable goal as a PC could NEVER be a dragon mage or a shadow mage.

Yup. You're welcome to call yourself a Dragon Mage at any point.

This may not go well for you if you can't back it up. ;)

Back