2020 National Event FAQ

Kitaruen

Knight
Site and General Information
Q: When is 2020 National Event?

September 4th-7th (Friday evening through Monday morning).

Q: Where is the 2020 National Event being held?
The event will take place at Camp Pokanoka:
N 2703rd Rd,
Ottawa, IL 61350

Q: What is the cost of Nationals and how do I pay?
The cost for PCs will be $125, and the cost for NPCs will be $40. This helps us cover the cost of the site and food for the event. More information about payment can be found over on the pre-registration page for the event: (link to be added shortly!)

Q: What is the best airport to fly into for the event?
Both Chicago O'Hare International Airport and Chicago Midway International Airport are about equidistant from the site, about 1.5 hours away (plus maybe a little more, depending on traffic).

Q: What are the sleeping accommodations of the site?
The majority of sleeping will take place in primitive cabins that host 4-8 people in beds. The cabins do not have electricity, so it may be a good idea to bring a battery-powered light for nighttime. In addition, there is one larger building with 24 beds with electricity that is reserved exclusively for players with medical needs. There will be no sleeping space available in the central hub building of the event. Part of the registration process will be requesting who you want to bunk with. We will meet those requests to the best of our ability.

Q: Is tenting allowed?
Absolutely! There will be some designated areas on site where you can set up your tent(s) if you would like.

Q: Are there showers on site?
There is a large indoor bath house with showers!

Q: What meals are included with my event fee?
It is our plan to include breakfast, lunch, and dinner on both Saturday and Sunday of the event, as well as some light snacks available at other times of the day. There will be no formal meal provided on Friday evening or Monday morning. Our wonderful kitchen staff will try to accommodate most food restrictions/allergies based on information received in player registrations, and if we are unable to accommodate for it for whatever reason, we will contact you and work with you to find a solution. Here is the menu: (link to be added shortly!)

Q: Will I be able to use the kitchen and/or refrigerators for personal use during the event?
The kitchens and refrigerators will not be available for public use. If you have a medical need for such a thing, please e-mail nationals2020@chicagoalliancelarp.com and we will work with you to find a solution.

Q: As a traveler will there be any help available to me? Loaner gear? Ect?
We will have a travel committee with several volunteers providing loaner reps of armor and weapons to those who request aid. These same folks will help out by receiving shipments from out of town travelers. We will also have limited ability to host travelers who have travel plans not sync up perfectly, AND we will have a couple volunteers acting as shuttles between the airport and site. There will be more information posted about this as we get closer to the event here: (link to be added)

Logistics and Magic Items
Q: How do I pre-register for Nationals?

Information on registering for the event can be found at the following page: (link to be added shortly!)

Q: What is the cut off for pre-registration for Nationals?
The pre-registration deadline will be August 20th , 2020 (which is 15 days before the event itself).

Q: What magic items are allowed for Nationals?
Players may bring an unlimited number of Restricted items. Players may also bring any combination of LCO items with up to 20 standard ritual effects. For the purpose of counting rituals effects, the following will not be counted: Permanent Duration, Spirit Link, Spirit Lock, and Preserve Duration. Staff Member rewards are excluded from this cap. Staff Members are responsible for ensuring their item tags which are above the cap are marked appropriately by their Logistics Team.

Q: How will True Empowerments on magic items work for Nationals?
Additional effects from True Empowerments will only function in the chapter that they originated in and will NOT function at the National Event. Please note that this includes True Empowerments from the Chicago chapter (since the event is technically a National Event and not a Chicago event, even if it is hosted in Chicago). If a character casts a True Empowered ritual at the National Event, it will will not generate any effects lasting longer than 5 days that can be used in another chapter.

Q: Are workshops allowed at Nationals?
Unfortunately, since the National Event is happening in a unique in-game location, regular workshops cannot be used unless you buy one specifically for that location (and understand that it will most likely be lost after the event). However, if you have a workshop enhanced with the Workplace of Convenience “Mist-Touched” ritual effect, it can be used for the National Event!

Q: Can I use my chapter's Goblin stamps for Nationals?
Goblin stamps from any chapter may be used for production items, but must be spent during pre-registration. Goblin stamps from any chapter other than the Host Chapter may not be spent after pre-registration closes. Following the event, Goblin Stamps from any chapter may be used to blanket the National Event.

Q: Is there an age restriction?
All players must be at least 14 years of age. And have a waiver signed by a guardian/parent if under 18.

Q: Are pages allowed and what rules do they follow?
Absolutely! We encourage everyone to play and will be using page rules as found on the following page: (link to be added shortly!)

Ritual Casting Restrictions
Q: What rituals can I cast at Nationals?
All Ritual Scrolls and Catalysts from any Alliance chapter will be allowed to be cast at the National Event with the following notes:
- No LCO scrolls from any chapter may travel to or be cast at the National Event.
- Ritual scrolls from multiple chapters may be cast within a “batch”.
- For catalyst-required castings, the correct catalyst must accompany the scroll, and both scroll and catalyst must come from the same chapter.
- Permanent Duration scrolls from any chapter do not travel to and cannot be cast at a National Event. Preserve Duration scrolls may be cast as usual.
- Boost Duration scrolls from any chapter cannot be cast at a National Event.

Q: How will the Copy Formal Scroll ritual work at the National Event?
The resulting scroll will be of the chapter which issued the Copy Formal Scroll ritual. The created scroll will not be available at the National Event and will not be taken out of Treasure Policy for the chapter who must issue the scroll. The National Event logistics team will inform any chapters that need to issue such scrolls after the event.

Volunteers and Donations

Q: Can I donate to Nationals? Are there any Dragon Stamp rewards for donating?
Absolutely! More information on donations for this event can be found on the following page: (link to be added shortly!)

Q: What are the rewards for NPCing?
The base reward for NPCing is 50 Dragon Stamps. There may be additional Goblin Stamp rewards from participating chapters as well, and we will update this posting to include that information once it is finalized.

Plot Information
Q: Who is the Head of Plot for Nationals? How can I contact the plot team?
The Head of Plot is Alexander Thompson (Gandian Ravenscroft on the forums). You can reach out to the Plot Team at nationals2020@chicagoalliancelarp.com.

Q: Will there be any in-game plot information posted about the event beforehand?
Absolutely! Keep an eye out on the in-game forum located here: https://alliancelarp.com/forum/forums/fortannis.11/. Some live-action plot hooks have also been provided by the National Plot Staff to chapters that they can deliver to their local players in-game if they so choose (and we hope that they do it!). Furthermore, the Plot Team will be including an in-game research opportunity for players to investigate before the event (similar to In-Between Game Actions, Downtimes, or whatever your local chapter refers to them as), granting you a bit of extra information about the setting and situation before the event. More information on that will come at a later time!

Q: Does the National Event take place in the in-game setting of the usual Chicago chapter campaign?
This event takes place within a unique section of Fortannis and does not take place in any pre-existing chapter location. More information about the location of the event will be given through the aforementioned plot hooks!

Last edited:
What are the age restrictions? I have two 17 year olds that would like to NPC, and a 15 year old who would also NPC/Page.

What are the age restrictions? I have two 17 year olds that would like to NPC, and a 15 year old who would also NPC/Page.
All players must be at least 14 years of age, and if under 18, they must have a waiver signed by a guardian/parent.

Our specific Page rules for the event will be posted soon!

What time the site will open Friday to start setting up campsites, and when will site close Monday?

The site will be open to players starting at 6:00 PM on Friday, and we will be off-site by Noon on Monday. If this timetable changes, I let you know.

As Regional events are considered National for all purposes of determining rewards, generating treasure, etc. Would a True Empowerment from a previous regional event (marked as national) be allowed to transfer in? (I appreciate y'all making empowerments limited to 5 days)

In the interest of keeping all incoming magic items "standard" and balanced for this event, True Empowerment effects from a regional event will not be allowed to transfer in. The rest of the item's effects may be used as normal (assuming it follows the other listed Magic Item rules, of course).

Important update for LCO magic items about what rituals and items may not count towards the limit: Players may bring any combination of LCO items with up to 20 standard ritual effects. For the purpose of counting rituals effects, the following will not be counted: Permanent Duration, Spirit Link, Spirit Lock, and Preserve Duration. Staff Member rewards are excluded from this cap. Staff Members are responsible for ensuring their item tags which are above the cap are marked appropriately by their Logistics Team.

Magic item policy for Nationals is part of the bylaws and this reflects the changes the owners together just passed in order to reward folks who have served as staff, and to in part reflect the reduced power of 2.0 magic items.

are there any precautions being discussed for Covid-19 and how can we as players assist in this.

The National Event staff is monitoring the situation, and we will keep you posted on further developments as we confirm them.

Back