Roland’s Notes: Courts and War v1

Grayoak

Hello,

this is a bit strange, and I honestly hope I’m doing this correctly.

My name is Roland Tolstoy. For those listening to this who do not know me, I’m the sort of Adventurer Head of the local Celestial Circle.

I am reaching out into this… “Dreaming” for the first time to try and share my notes so everyone can be more or less on the same page.

And so any aspiring adventurers to HearthGlen can at least digest this information before arrival. Instead of being left in the fog and trying to pick things up as they come like my companions and I did.

(As this is an ever updating compilation of information, I expect to send updates as more information reaches me.)

So, without further ado:

The War At A Glance:

The situation at it’s basest form is that HearthGlen has 16 Fey Courts who encompass certain aspects of the land. Each has a Mantle Holder, or Representative for their faction. These will be listed after their courts.

They list as follows: The Fey Court of…
  • Conflict: Unknown.
  • Elemental Stone and Autumn: Unknown.
  • Twilight and Wilderness: Possibly a woman named Luna.
  • Justice/Judgement: Occord.
  • Elemental Ice and Winter: Unknown.
  • Knowledge: Syldra.
  • Balance: Light and Dark.
  • Artifice: Unknown.
  • Elemental Lightning and Spring: Formerly Levinia, Currently Syldra.
  • Dawn and Civilization: Dea
  • Noble Races: Formerly Ignatious, Currently Kormac
  • Peace and Harmony: Unknown.
  • Elemental Flame and Summer: Unknown
  • Monsters: Kormac
  • Confusion: a Fox Wylderkin who’s name I can’t remember.
  • Hospitality: Adalaide.
I know that looks like an imposing list, but as time goes on, we will have to worry about less and less. There is currently a 2 year competition between all of these factions. A competition that will decide who’s court will rule and and influence the Shard directly for the next thousand years.

For example, Adalaide of Hospitality won the last competition. Because of that, HearthGlen has been prospering in a thousand years of hospitality. If the Court of Conflict were to win, there would be a thousand years of conflict. Court of Peace would get Peace, Monsters get Monsters.

Adalaide opened the mists and invited us to HearthGlen so we can influence the competition as a wild card, with the hope that we would aid a Victor that is beneficial for the people of the Shard for this next thousand year period.

Rules of the War:

Now, goal of this war based around one Court collecting the Mantles of all the other Courts. As you might have noticed, this has happened twice now with the Mantles of Lightning going to Knowledge, and Noble Races going to Monsters.

Once a Court has lost its Mantle, they are bound by the laws (and Fey Magic) to not interfere with the competition, and therefore, us. At least until after the thousand year ruling period ends. In essence, that means that once a Court is knocked out, we don’t have to worry about them any more.

A Mantle Bearer also cannot directly attack Adventurers without first being attacked by them. Trust me, attacking them is not worth it unless you are prepared and you have the backing of another Court who can take the Mantle once you remove your target.

Special Note: As Adalaide won the previous competition, she is barred from participating directly in this one. This is why she contacted us and opened the mists before she lost power.

How Courts Gain Power:

This is something we aren’t entirely sure the exact parameters of, but I’ll try to outline what understanding we have so far.

Courts are directly tied to their… well, Court. So they benefit when we do something beneficial for them and damage them when we do something against them. Like Wilderness gaining and Flame losing when we stop a grove from being burned down by killing the fire elements doing it.

They also gain power when somebody does something related to it. More so when somebody with an Adventuring spirit commits said act.

Some are self explanatory. Conflict fuels Conflict. Peace helps Peace. Confusion helps Confusion.

Some courts have natural opposites. Ice to Flame. Stone to Lightning. Peace to Conflict. Monsters to Noble Races. Others don’t. Judgement, Artifice, Hospitality.

Those with opposites will gain power very quickly if their opposite loses their mantle. Since Lightning was knocked from the competition, we’re expecting a surge in power from Stone. And as Monsters has taken the Mantle of Noble Races, it’s expected they will rise in power quickly as well.

Current Events:

Adventurers, sponsored by the Fey Court of Knowledge, have taken out the Fey Court of Elemental Lightning and Spring by assassinating their Mantle Bearer. The reasoning can be expanded upon if asked.

The Kormac of the Fey Court of Monsters ate the Mantle Bearer for the Fey Court of Noble Races. Yes. He ate them. He has a habit of that.

V from the Fey Court of Artifice has began making an Earth based Magic Item for the to be used by the town. Construction is ongoing and will probably need help from us later on.

The Fey Court of Confusion has recently brought us on the “Second Lock of Three Locks that are also Keys” in a quest for us to find the “Greatest Prize.” I’d assume there was only one more puzzle for us to solve, but I’m hesitant to assume anything with this wily fox. At least the prizes are decent and the puzzles are fun.

We have also been contacted by the Mantle Bearers of Balance, Monsters, Dawn/Civilization, and Twilight/Wilderness. Results of the meetings have varied, but no open conflict as of yet.

Conclusion:

If you have any questions, now is a good time to ask them. I’ll try to monitor responses as well as I can.

Good Luck, and Don’t Die.
~ Roland Tolstoy

Last edited:
Roland my friend! I'm glad I'm not the only one who's found themselves wandering this "dreaming". The fox interested me quite a bit, his name was Sylvarus I believe. And the locks are also doors, he mentioned something "great for you great for me" lay behind the locks/doors. This means he either knows and wont tell us, or doesnt know himself.
Confusing indeed.

Im not sure if this V is the Artifice court's bearer,at the very least they are a representative with little regard for the consequences of their actions. I do not think she is one to be trusted, she sees us more as lab rats than as allies.

One last tidbit I will mention is a theory I have regarding these "mantle bearers". They pull power from our actions in HearthGlen. But not just ours, any and all changes to the land can affect the balance of power (the man in the towers machine for instance could/will empower artifice).
My theory is this: I believe there are SPECIFIC actions that adventuring spirits (and mayhaps all those in HearthGlen) may take that would empower these mantle bearers greatly. For lightning it was ritual magic, V mentioned her unending want to create *new* devices and magics. I think we need to be careful in our actions moving forward.

That being said I will be doing all I can to further understand these mantles and the courts, im not mych of a bookreader like you Roland but if i can get in front of someone important enough ill find some information. The mosts are fickle but im sure ill see you all again, stay safe.

~Jorgunn

Roland my friend! I'm glad I'm not the only one who's found themselves wandering this "dreaming". The fox interested me quite a bit, his name was Sylvarus I believe. And the locks are also doors, he mentioned something "great for you great for me" lay behind the locks/doors. This means he either knows and wont tell us, or doesnt know himself.
Confusing indeed.

Im not sure if this V is the Artifice court's bearer,at the very least they are a representative with little regard for the consequences of their actions. I do not think she is one to be trusted, she sees us more as lab rats than as allies.

One last tidbit I will mention is a theory I have regarding these "mantle bearers". They pull power from our actions in HearthGlen. But not just ours, any and all changes to the land can affect the balance of power (the man in the towers machine for instance could/will empower artifice).
My theory is this: I believe there are SPECIFIC actions that adventuring spirits (and mayhaps all those in HearthGlen) may take that would empower these mantle bearers greatly. For lightning it was ritual magic, V mentioned her unending want to create *new* devices and magics. I think we need to be careful in our actions moving forward.

That being said I will be doing all I can to further understand these mantles and the courts, im not mych of a bookreader like you Roland but if i can get in front of someone important enough ill find some information. The mosts are fickle but im sure ill see you all again, stay safe.

~Jorgunn
It’s good to hear from you Jorgunn! I hope you and Aoife are doing well!

You two missed one hell of a fight with the Fey Court of Lightning. We exhausted all of our fresh resources and strength from Dinner. It was an even fight right to the end. If it wasn’t for our supply of healing, some mend armor spells, and our ability to take out the lightning elementals quickly, I doubt we would have survived. As it stands, I almost had to have a life spell cast on me.

But the day was won!

Anyways, I like your theory on the specific actions. If you learn anything, please let me know. I’m focusing on educating Cathrine for the time being.

As for V, mantle bearer or not, I don’t sense any ill will from her. I’ve met dwarves and Selunari with similar tendencies to get so caught up in an idea that they don’t really consider possible side effects. The Dwarf I mentioned before when speaking with V, an inventor and craftsman named Verknenovokutlumbetyevo Protonvonchevsky, is very likely to do that.

I believe she can be trusted in the fact that she means well and just wants to invent. But anyone dealing with her should be aware that she isn’t able to see the future. Unless she has a magic item for that. I gotta ask Occord if that’s against the rules next time I see him, because that could be useful.

Back