2 Handed Hammer

So I've been doing my best to make the biggest 2 handed hammer possible. I've got the measurements down, it's semi built (I ran out of duct tape) but there will still questions I had regarding construction of such an awe-inspiring weapon...

I figured this is an uncommon problem, since most long weapons don't have such a significant weight at the end. I've seen polearms and 2 handed swords that were perfectly fine with the whip problem but this hammer is different. Can't exactly balance something that's supposed to have a large weight on one end.

For reference, I used 3/4 PVC since I felt 1/2 wouldnt have the strength to work. I wrapped several layers of insulation around it to get it up to 7/8s. The head is all open cell with some creative use of duct tape to hold it all together, measures 15 by 10 by 8. The shaft ends after 18" and the grip is max size at 22". The entire weapon from top to bottom measures 58". Whatever is past the grip will be covered with foam and a waylay tip, though I'd be REALLY impressed if you could lift it and waylay someone.

It isn't max head size, but it's definitely up there (1400 in volume, where max is 1728). My problem lies in reinforcing the pvc so as to prevent it from failing on whippiness. With a decent swing, I can clearly tell it goes more than 6" off true. Any suggestions or tricks that will cut down on that without increasing the weight significantly?

I can understand the whole safety issue with too-whippy. But I think it might not apply to something that is more like a pillow on a stick. That's actually a lie, it's more like two pillows thick. I'm not trying to get around the rules or bend them as I know safety is super important, I'm just trying to see what I have to do to get this thing to pass. Swinging something like this would just be awesome and fun, I just want to do it without anyone getting hurt and still be viable in combat.

Any suggestions or helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. Thankfully I've got some time to finish it.

And yes, I know. Actually swinging this thing for a period of time will most DEFINTELY make me exhausted and curse my stubborn ways. But if we don't have fun with what we do, what's the point? :)

This is entirely on speculation and not on any experience mind you, but wrapping the pvc itself in duct tape may cut down on the whipping. A layer of spiraling duct tape, and a layer of up/down strips may help hold the pvc in place.

If that doesn't work, I would say filling the pvc with spray foam may help stiffen it but not make it wacky brittle (I can see a weapons marshal failing this because of the added weight though... Actually it may be totally against the rules)

That's my best guess.

Well, you can't waylay people with two handed weapons, so I wouldn't worry about that.

But, honestly? PVC is pretty horrid for two handed weapons. Just in general. I would honestly look into kitespar/carbon fibre tubing for your core. Better rigidity, less weight.

If you're set on using the PVC, get a smaller diameter piece of the above and drop it down the center. Should reduce whip.

though it may seem cool at first, that oversized head at the end of that 2 hander is going to get you tired pretty quick. It's also going to make it incredibly difficult to perform any quick strikes.

Try to make your weapons as light as possible with as much weight towards the grip and pommel as you can. Remember, you have to carry this thing around and swing it all weekend long. A small light headed hammer will be far more effective than "a pillow on a stick"

I have built a max size two handed hammer (I think the head ended up being something like 24x6x12). I used a large piece of bamboo for the core and the weapon turned out ok. Keep in mind that you will have a very hard time swinging fast enough to land the blows, as they are easy to block. In a 1 on 1 fight expect to land 30% or less of your blows, and that is if they stay at a good range. If they get close it will reach the point where you can't hit them. I stopped using mine quickly, because while it looks cool, with the Alliance rule-set it is not an effective weapon.

Shades said:
with the Alliance rule-set it is not an effective weapon.

this is because within the Alliance rule-set you cannot use a hammer as it is intended to be used. It's a weapon designed to knock people around and break bones through armor. With a system that thrives on "toe-viscerates" the point of a hammer or even an axe for that matter is simply for reaching around shields and barely tapping shoulders. The best use of a hammer is a small head that is capable of giving you a bit of reach without being so large that it can easily get hooked on another weapon or shield because that is a good way to get dead too.

Dom said:
this is because within the Alliance rule-set you cannot use a hammer as it is intended to be used. It's a weapon designed to knock people around and break bones through armor.

The part where we're not actually trying to kill each other sure does take the fun out of a lot of the great weapons, doesn't it?

*wishes he could use a 2-handed sword for the giant arcing swings it was meant for, rather than using it like a short-handled spear*

On Topic, I am curious how your hammer comes out, and how well you can make use of it!

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I know this hammer is going to make me very very tired very very fast, but I don't mind the workout and I always have smaller weapons I'm able to use...if I can lift by arms by then.

I've hooked weapons on my smaller hammers/maces, unintentionally. I feel it will happen a lot more with this but I can't be blamed fully, you can clearly see that any protrusions on your weapon (axe heads and the like) are going to get caught should you swing the wrong way. And if you're uncomfortable fighting against such a weapon, then it did it's job :twisted:

Something I've noticed, with a sizable hammer like this, even a casual swing can break past a block. Your tiny featherweight sword doesn't have the stopping power to hold back all the force that the hammer is coming across with. I've done it before where a sword will attempt to block one of my hammer blows, but the sword just ends up pressed back against the shoulder. It's also highly unlikely that you can re-direct the blow as well which I'm used to doing to pole-arms and spears coming at my front or coming in real low.

Should you take it since I did hit both your weapon and continue past and hit your body as well? It's up to you. You won't hear me cry foul if you don't. The game is about fun after all.

Still, I agree that is not a truly effective weapon. But this hammer is supposed to be intimidating and it is "the hammer of my ancestors" (nothing special about it just that my whole family line has always carried it), so IG I've got a very good reason to wield it no matter the enemy. OOG I'd rather be carrying my long mace and short hammer since those are much lighter and easier to use in combat.

Still haven't finished it yet as real life has gotten in the way or grabbing more duct tape. I'll be using it at the next HQ event so I'll have some pictures up then and will report back on the overall useful/lessness of it.

Just be careful, if it's overpowering most blocks, that you're not unintentionally swinging too hard, especially if it's raining and the axehead's foam soaks up water.

the problem with a hammer head of that much mass is it will have a lot of "knock around" power built into your swings regardless of whether or not you pull your strikes. Also with that much weight in the head, it will be almost impossible to prevent whip unless you are using a carbon fiber or other super rigid core and now you are talking at least $25 worth of core for a weapon that most marshals will look at with a very skeptical eye.

Back