A Call for assistance

Tom H

To my friends, companions, and allies who may have been heading to Nordenn:

There is an energy of some kind shutting off the Reclaim from the rest of the world. So far, no method of breaching it has been found to work- even to attempt to speak to those of my court who are trapped inside of it.

It is possible this is nothing more than a "random magical happening," and precautions are unnecessary. It is also possible it is the first stage of an attack by unknown forces. We will prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and expect something in between.

We will continue to gather in the Baronial Capitol as planned- it is next to the Reclaim, meaning our intentions to honor His Excellency need not be put off just yet. However, there comes the matter of the chance that we will be leaving to go into the Reclaim. Should that happen, a few things need to be explained....

THE RECLAIM IS A FREEHOLD.
This means that the Reclaim does not tithe either tax or persons at arms to the Duchy- even though the number of Vansir who enlist by choice exceeds the "tithe of arms" rate regardless. It also has the right to enforce its own laws, be they not contrary to the laws of the Barony, Duchy, or Kingdom.

This is very, very important.

My people (rightly so) have made the practice of Celestial Magics- called "Sterngaldr" in our native tongue- illegal on the Reclaim. This applies not only to the casting of magics, but to the possession of items created from or able to call forth such magics- enchanted items, wands, and golems included. In addition, each person "knowingly" or voluntarily invested in a Ward or Wizard Lock is guilty- to cast a Ward or Wizard Lock with an "unknowing" or involuntary investiture is a charge of assault requiring the caster to pay an Honor Price.

Five years ago, when the Tournament was held within the Reclaim, an exception was made for those items that could not be left behind- you were not convicted for merely bringing a spirit linked item with you. However, the item must remain in its sheath or in a pouch- brandishing Sterngaldr items showed an intent to use it, and thus removed the legal protection. While I cannot speak to the Skalds to guarantee such leniency again if indeed we must move swiftly into the Reclaim, I expect that I shall be able to secure it. After all, the Heroes of Ashbury were quite understanding last time, with only one issue being brought to trial- an issue regarding an item in the possession of a non-wizard where that item just went from "dual school" to "sterngaldr only" just a few months ago, and they didn't realize it.

I know that, for many of you, these laws will seem silly, will seem restrictive, or will seem unjust and unfair. I ask you to remember that these laws where put in place by a people held under the heel of a race of Celestially infused slavers for so long that the very name of the world we came from is lost to us. For so long that even written language we use is in Giantscript, as all traces of our ancestral one were lost. A race of evil beings so bent on our destruction that a dozen centuries later they still hunt us and will see us ended.

These are the laws of my people, of my fathers, of my birth. While I recognize the penalties are slight enough for those of power to pay them without a thought, such actions will be viewed as a dishonor to myself and my race. While I will accept the help of any and all who would find strength to examine what is happening if we have the chance, I would ask any unable to comply with these laws to stand back and simply wish us luck instead.

In Honor and Valor,
Count Ulthoc Crownsmith

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Law Regarding Celestial Magic
in the Vansir Reclaim

All "call forth" magic is illegal. Casting any magic from scrolls that are not Ritual Scrolls is illegal. Eldritch magic spells, except for Circles of Power, are illegal. The penalty for the first offense of a Non-Vansir is an Honor Price. For the second offense the primary casting hand is cut off. The offender must remain without the hand for one day. Having it restored prior to that will result in it being cut off again. The third will be death by execution. Further offenses will be additional deaths. For Vansir, the punishment is more harsh- first offense one is labeled a Varg and executed.

Using magical objects known to be Sterngaldr in nature will be considered as casting Sterngaldr.

Sterngaldr objects found on you will be destroyed, but you will not be charged with "casting star magic", you just have your objects taken and destroyed.

The Honor Price of a common person is 3 cattle or horses, or 6 gold coins.
The Honor Price for an "Adventurer" is 5 cattle or horses, or 10 gold coins.
The Honor Price for a Craftfolk- someone who makes goods for a living such as an alchemist, potionmaker, or blacksmith, is 10 cattle or horses, or 20 gold coins.
The Honor Price of the Warrior Caste is 10 cattle or horses, or 20 gold coins.
The Honor Price or Cheiftains is 25 cattle or horses, or 50 gold coins.
For Skalds the Honor Price is 100 cattle or horses, or 200 gold coins.

Bear in mind that positions of power from other lands will be accorded the respect (and so the legal stature) appropriate in the list above.

To further clarify, as some friends have asked other questions- and I'm more than happy to help try to keep everyone as "legally effective" as possible-

Q: Objects of Magic such as could be created as either Earth or Celestial Aspect such as Arcane Armor, and Magical Cloaks and Banes, how is it held?
A: Objects that are known to be of celestial nature should not be brought into the Reclaim. Understand that this is an "honor system": our abilities to identify magic items are fairly limited, and no one is going to insult you by patting you down for magical devices.

Q: Am I to understand objects created with both schools of magic are wholly allowed? Particularly if the Celestial aspects are those such as Cloaks or Banes which could be created via either school?
A: When the laws were written, items could only be one or the other- and for obvious reasons we don't run into many "dual school" situations. My assumption would be carrying would still be allowed, so long as the offensive components were not used???

Q: How is Celestial High Magic viewed? If one alters an Eldritch magic such that it is summoned forth by strictly magical or elemental means?
A: Magics summoned by Elemental means are actually acceptable. The Vansir historically have very strong ties to the elements- so much so that our strongest vow calls on four of them directly.

Q:Using High Magic am i allowed to throw elemental damage?
A: Any effect which is purely Elemental in nature (as in, does not require the use of Celestial spells or celestial rituals to create) is entirely legal.

Also, and additional legal clarification: I have been informed that Wands are no longer created by use of a celestial ritual- that anybody can make an "elemental energy focusing stick" for minimal cost and channel energies through it. Very interesting. I will make a case with the Skalds that any "new wand" that is not further enhanced to deal more damage or contact more elemental planes is simply a use of Elemental energy, and thus should be allowed.

I wish to thank Wizard Nathan, Wizard Simon, and Wizard Raven for their assistance in building further clarity in this situation. Patience and understanding are the hallmarks of friendship, and I thank you.

Also, please understand that I cannot in all certainty agree that these will be the rulings made. As the Reclaim is a Freehold, the Skalds are under no obligations to accept these "conditions" on the law- they will have the final word. While I am a former Warchief as well as the Baron and the son of a war hero, that doesn't give me any more say in our laws than anyone else- it just means I know those passing the judgments personally.

In Honor and Valor,
Count Ulthoc Crownsmith

Back