A Call to Arms! Drive the Serpents back!

Fade

Those of you who were present at the Theater of the Dead will remember the room showing prophecies. Waters running red with blood, the spread of a cult of snakes, and rise of a massive serpent from the sound. Last year, you will remember the incursion of serpent folk into New Acarthia. These creatures slowly work their way in to the trust of the folk, eventually transforming them, body and spirit, into scaly abominations who serve their master, Umbracylle. This is the same serpent who attacked us in Bayside, who we imprisoned in the spear for a time. They operate in the shadows, relying on our complacency and lack of action to claim lands for their master, spreading his influence.

After a recent expedition to the Eastern portion of Bayenna, we found these rumors are anything but false. Serpents have been corrupting the townsfolk in cities on the eastern border. Riverside, Sunnyside, and Hillside have all gone quiet, not sending any word. It is not just Bayenna, but all the baronies of Acarthia feeling the pain of these attacks.

They shall go no further. This stops here.

No longer will we sit idle while these monsters take our people and our lands, corrupting them to the will of some undersea tyrant. They will not take our lands and our people from us.

I am calling upon the good citizens of Acarthia. We need your help. This is a threat we must face together, lest we fall piece by piece to scaly claws. This must not be something spoken of in sequestered circles, and you, as citizens at risk, have the right to know what threatens your lives and very spirits.

Those who have accepted initiation have been changed on the spiritual level, and their bodies display signs of discoloration and growth of scales about the neck. Their blood has become black, and they have no fear dying for their overlord. These people have forsaken Acarthia and chosen to follow this serpent lord, killing those they once called friends and family. They are the enemy.

The more advanced serpent folk are immune to common steel, and must be defeated with magic or elemental energies wreathing your blades. They seek to corrupt, so they will aim to capture combatants with charm spells, to enslave them to the will of their leader, and use them in few rituals.

They mark trees, and use their influence to tip the balance of who controls the land, amongst the land bond and ley lines. Within these trees, they imprison spirits of powerful individuals, and from their branches, they hang the corpses of those who would resist. These trees are corruption made manifest, and must be burned when seen.

Serpent folk gather around statues they use as crude altars. The location of these statues is critical to our success. I am offering a reward for each person who finds these statues and reports them to us, once the location is verified. Do not let your blood touch the altar. I believe this is part of their transformation ritual.

I am raising the banner of Acarthia, as a call to action. Join with me, with the other baronies, with the common folk; with Acarthia itself. All in Acarthia, warrior, scholar, and craftsman alike, will be needed to destroy this threat. Let us drive these abominations back to whence they came.

We have stood against the terrors of the Howling Woods. We have stood against Dreadrot and his creations, and risen from the ashes of a civil war. Doomwing himself would not deter us. We will not fail in the face of Umbracylle.

Primo Victoria

Baron General Egil Nordheim
Baron of Bayenna
General of the Armies of the Duchy of Acarthia

Back