A drink while waiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonKitty

Scholar
Morrigan walks into the tavern and grabs a drink and bowl of soup before taking a seat at a table against the wall facing the door. Figured she might as well have a meal while she waited for Billin to arrive. They need to get started on forging the urn piece for Evo, he got her the specs this last gathering so now its time for her and Billin to get to work .

As she eats and waits, her mind drifts to the last gathering. Her heart filling with pain and hurt, and a small amount of anger as well. She still isn't quite sure exactly what happened on the evening prior to her return, but she would really like to know as never has this group of adventurers, most of whom she thought she could call friend and comrade, treated her with such open hostility before. And over an event that happened while she wasn't even around. Even Elspeth had yelled at her, within the first few minutes of arriving, with a vague threat to kick her out if "it" happened again. Though Elspeth yelling at her bothered her less than the other interactions throughout the rest of the day, those sliced deeper. Having implied accusations thrown at her accompanied with statements such as "you Oathsworn are all same" and "you know what you and your kind did", among others of similar vein, had taken her by surprise. She never would have expected those words said to her from those she had thought were friends here at the Lux. Through the half dozen interactions she did have that were pleasant, she had managed to piece together that it had something to do with fairies and their essence, but she had no details. Certainly none that would explain the hostility she faced and explain why some saw fit to label her as being responsible for whatever action occurred merely because she is Oathsworn, it all has her quite baffled. Some of her associates were quite vocal with their labeling, from others it was more subtle, the small gatherings of people talking who would either go silent when she came near or instead just give her a dirty look that made it clear that she wasn't welcome. It had made her question why she was here if most people don't seem to want her around and will so easily lay blame where it doesn't belong and based solely on something as general as race. Perhaps she had been wrong about them. This makes her sad to contemplate. And angry. Has she not fought beside these people enough over the many years, even saved many of their lives, to have earned the right to be judged on her own merit? Not simply seen as "Oathsworn" and therefore must surely act, and therefore also be guilty of actions, exactly as a few others of her race have.

Finishing her soup, she sighs at her dark thoughts and takes her bowl to the kitchen before sitting back down again to wait. She knows why she is here, she swore an Oath to Confiance to defend the Lux, so she will remain to fulfill that Oath. But recalling the treatment received a few days ago she wonders if things will ever feel the same. She no longer is sure who is a friend, or who was merely pretending to be. She shakes her head as if the physical act will make these unpleasant thoughts go away. What she does know is that the next time someone wants to accuse her of doing something she couldn't have, or insults her based on her race, they may be surprised to find that she will not let it slide as she did a few days ago.

With that decided, she turns her thoughts to the upcoming task at hand and takes out the sketch of the piece they need to forge to study it more closely while she waits for Billin, one whom she believes that she can still call friend.

Having received Morrigans letter, Billin makes his way to the Tavern. The roads of the lux are a little quieter than they have been, a little more subdued. Not letting that bother him, Billin keeps up his brisk pace. The time has come to complete that darn urn, one more step to dealing with their enemies.

Billin enters the the tavern and quickly spots Morrigan sitting on her own, with a bit of a scowl on her face. "I did not think I was late" the dwarf says as he sits across the table, "what is bothering you?"

Morrigan smiles at Billin as he sits. "Ach, you aren't late lad. I was merely goin over some comments made to me at the last gatherin in me head. Seems there was an incident regarding fairies, redcaps and gathering fae essence, which all occurred while I was out doing other things. But when I arrived back in the Lux commons area the next morning, there were a few of our adventuring companions that seemed mad at me for something and had some not nice words for me about being Oathsworn and how we are all the same. When I asked what I had done to deserve this hostility I got told that 'you know what you and your kind did'...the problem is that I don't rightly know what it was that I was supposedly to have done, as I wasn't even around when this incident occurred." Morrigan takes a break, shaking her head. "It seems that I am being blamed for something simply because I am Oathsworn. I had thought better of our companions, it was shocking to be judged so harshly for somethin' I clearly didna do as I wasn't even around to be able ta do it. So, I suppose I have been sittin here processing what occurred and what to feel about it."

She takes a sip of her drink and continues "But, I've decided that since I know I have done nothin wrong, I will simply wait and see if those peoples opinions change at all over the next bit. The whole gatherin was a bit divided over this incident, lots of anger towards each other and small groups meeting in secret, leavin people out of plans and decisions being made by a few on what to do about certain things. I know Magus Evo was trying to ensure that everyone was involved with what needs to be done and that everyone knows what is going on, but that isn't workin out so well I don't think, not based on this last gatherin. To many secret meetins and unwillingness to share information to make us feel like we are all working together to fight this evil we face."

"So, there you have it, the source of my bother. Sorry to unload on you my friend, you've missed on even more than I have being busy down in your forge, but the mood around the Lux is not the most friendly at the moment and its a wee bit concernin really. Now, lets get started on this plan for the urn piece aye?" She pushes the sketches of the piece towards Billin so he can take a look. "We need to come up with a plan of action to forge this."

She sits back and drinks, giving Billin time to absorb her tale and take a look at the sketches.

Billin is silent as Morrigan tells her tale, and a while more as he thinks over the actions taken towards her. "That's not right." He finally says, " Were these new comers to the Lux and simply did not know what you have done for the land against Alzoon?" Shaking his head Billin continues, "I hope they did not say such things towards Stig, he might not have been as patient."
"It is concerning that all of Evo's work to include everyone seems to have been undone so quickly... but yes, to the matter at hand." Looking over the sketches Billin runs his fingers over the items in his beard in thought.
"With the odd shape that it is, I think making a cast would be the best way forward. Though I am not sure even my forge will be able to get dawnsteel up to melting temperature."

Morrigan nods at his words about making a cast and the melting of Dawnsteel.

"Perhaps that is where we should start first then, experiment to see if the forge can melt a small piece. Or perhaps soften it enough that it could perhaps be shaped by our hammers."

Finishing her drink, she smiles at her friend. "Would ya like to have another drink here, or head straight ta your forge? I'm willin to put the work and sweat in with ya to figure this out if ya would like my company for a while."

"Na, there will be time enough for forging in the morning" Billin says shaking his head, though he has a large smile on his face " let's stay here and have another drink."
Billin waves over to the bar keep for another round
"So what crazy antics have I missed these last couple of months, has Calen finally regained his sight?"

"Aye, he has indeed. Though he, along with a couple others who went through the mysts with him, have lost many of their memories of their time with us. As for other crazy things that have happened, let's see....Phalen returned I hear, only to be murdered. Diggs is now wanted I believe for questioning in relation to that event as he may know something about it. Twice now Hamish and I have taken a group to investigate a suspicious person, only to have that person ask for our help in committing a crime. First one wanted to rob a bank and the second the caravan carrying the HG payroll. Seems some would-be criminals are not that smart" she says with a laugh.

"More recently, we lost Samuel. And Ruki was killed during the night, inside their warded cabin. On happier notes, my younger brother Cameron made the journey to the Lux and I believe that he plans on staying around to help us. And a new Oathsworn brother arrived last gathering to help fill our ranks as well, he is straight from the North and is seeking name fame through battle for himself. He's come ta the right place if he seeks battles and attention. The Home Guard has acquired a couple new members as well."

Morrigan takes a drink while she ponders what else to bring her friend up to date on. "We still continue to seek out the things we need to start closing off the Dark Reaches, which we have acquired some like the Golden Apple and some poisonous plant which Phal needs to tend for a bit before we can use it. Had to go to the Plane of Plants for that one. I know there is more to get, but I am not sure I have the full list of all we need."

"That is a lot of deaths" Billin says looking deep into his cup
"But I did not know you had a brother, you must introduce us one of these days." Billin exclaims with a smile on his face "While others might not be liking Oathswarn at the moment, I have only had positive interactions with your kind. It is good that more are joining us."

"How do those criminals not recognize Sir Hamish?" Billin asks with a laugh, "he also does not hide the fact he is Homeguard."

Morrigan laughs along with him. "I have 7 brothers total. 4 older and 3 younger, Cameron being one of the younger. He was born next after me so we have always been close. And I certainly do hope that ya get ta meet him soon. It would be nice to have ya out adventuring with us again when your other duties allow, you've been missed by more than just me I am sure."

"Seven..." Billin says with disbelief . "I could not imagine having such a large family"
Billin takes a long drink from his cup. "I wonder if that is true, if I have been missed. Since visiting the nightmare realm I have had my doubts" taking another drink Billin continues "that is also a reason I have doubled down on my duties for Brighthammer, to try and work though those doubts."

"Doubts about what, Billin?" Phalaenopsis asked directly into Billin's ear, having quietly come up behind the Dwarf mid-sentence, "Also, hello, Morrigan, it's delightful to see you again. Do either of you mind if I sit down?" He was in his usual chipper mood, and holding an ale mug of his own, which he used to gesture to an empty chair at their table.

"Whether or not I am needed or even wanted with our merry band of adventurers" Billin says with a half smile. "By all means, join us, Morrigan here was just catching me up on things I have missed and telling me about her brothers."

Phalaenopsis sat down, but pouted for a moment. "Aw, not even a flinch? Oh, well." He took a drink, and giggled to himself, "I'll have to work on being quieter, I think. But to your point, I'm quite happy to see you out and about and going on adventures, although at this point I get the feeling that it's just nice to see you out of your forge for once." He stuck his tongue out in jest. "Which is fine, I get the feeling my research has kept me rather confined to the libraries in recent months, as well. Seclusion buddies!" He giggled to himself again.

"Your brothers?" He asked, looking over at Morrigan, "I met Cameron a few months back, he's very lovely. Much taller than I was expecting, but I can't tell whether you're the short one or he's the tall one in your family. It's kind of amusing the think the former, knowing you could probably pepper everyone with arrows before they could crack a joke about it."

Last edited:
Morrigan smiles at Phal as he arrives and sits down. "It is nice to see you out of your library Phalaenopsis! Well then allow yourself to be amused, for it is the former as I am the short one, all of me brothers are taller than I. Though Cameron is one of the tallest being roughly the same height as our eldest brother Alastair. The others vary in height between Cameron and I, if I recall it would be Malcolm, Tavis, Feandan, Breac and then Gawain , from tall to short. Gawain is the youngest brother and the shortest out of the boys. But you're also right in that I could get a few arrows in 'em before they bugged me about it!" she laughs at the thought.

"I've been trying to catch Billin up on some the news around the Lux, but I know that I do not know everything in the works, only parts of it. Still I'm trying to do my best but there is a lot that is going on."

"I hope I get to meet the whole clan someday, then. They sound like a good bunch of folk." Phalaenopsis tapped his mug to the table as a substitute for the usual 'cheers' motion, and giggled again, but his face dropped when talk turned to news.

"News... Well, I had a talk with Ruki a few nights ago, and... he wasn't doing too well, but I think I at least got him sleeping through the night. I suspect he's still very much on edge, but there's not much I can do about that unless he wants a Hallucinate." The Tari Nor tilted his head back and forth, mulling over his drink, before concluding, "But maybe it's better if he doesn't drink one; it takes practice to make sure you have even a little bit of control and don't make a bad mood worse, you know? No sense giving him one if he's just going to experience horrors."

Calan wanders into the tavern with an empty wineskin tied to his belt. off to the side, he notices a face he recognizes and waves at Morrigan. Calan tacks down a barkeep to refill his provisions. once he has everything filled he makes his way over to the table Morrigan is sitting at.

"Why hello, Morrigan, I hope all is well with you." Calan looks carefully at the dwarf and the Tari Nor. he can't identify either of them but when he looked at the Dwarf an image of that dwarf having his neck snapped by some vile creature sends a shiver up his spine. the pit of his stomach twists but the Dwarf seems fine so it had to be a different Dwarf perhaps from the forgotten shard.

"Who are your companions? pardon me for saying so but you sir have a beautiful set of horns." Calan leans forward to inspect them closer while absentmindedly feeling his own horns.

"Don't you recognize me Calan?" Billin asks, then remembers what Morrigan had told him, and his face falls a little. "Ah, so it is as Morrigan here said."

Setting his mug down Billin stands to greet his friend. Offering his hand he continues, "Allow me to reintroduce myself, I am Billin Silverton, Master blacksmith, Artisan smith of the Hammer Outfitters, and Master of the Dawnsteel Forge here at the Lux. It is a pleasure to meet you."

Calans smile slightly straightens out for half a second seeing Billin’s reaction. So this was the Dwarf from that memory.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, again. That good sir sounds like a mouth full. I will do my best to recall it all. What brings you all to this fine establishment?.”

Last edited:
"Billin The Blacksmith is really all you need to remember. As to what brings me here, just discussing how best to fix the urn that will hold a dragon's soul."

Calan laughs “ I love how you casually say you’re repairing something powerful enough to hold a dragons spirit like it’s no big deal.”

Calan looks at everyone at the table .

“Mind if I take a seat for a moment? I wouldn’t mind becoming better acquainted. That is as long as I’m not interrupting.”

Calan reaches into his side pouch and pulls out some dried fruit and chews on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back