A Letter Arrives from Through the Mist.

Paige

Artisan
You find this letter in several places, posted to the tavern wall, handed to you by a concerned local who found it on a dead body near his fields, or recited to you by a strange bear looking golem who can do nothing else but recite the letter. It reads as follows:

To the worlds of contentment and justice,

It is my hope that this letter find you in times of prosperity and vigilance, for it is with humble earnestness I seek your aid. Should this letter be received in the wake of its courier’s demise, know that I will find forgiveness for whatever may have transgressed if it means that my message has found you. Those intended to spirit this correspondence knew the dangers they may endure, but understood the vital nature of this letter. I eagerly wait with genuine hope to hear of your response by the height of this summer.

For decades have I studied the mists seeking to understand how worlds so different can be connected. The same sky rules over all the lands, the same sun, and more importantly the same moon. It is from the moon I have discovered the means to partially manipulate and temporarily open the unyielding mists that surround this land. Though it will drain myself and my resources greatly, I am determined to open a path into the lands that I call home five days from beyond the new moon late in the 8th month.

In the lands that I come from such information would be met with laissez faire disinterest at its kindest. Most suffer from a keenly honed mixture of self interest and malicious detachment from the needs or concerns of others. I can only hope upon hope this is not the case with you. I have surveyed and scoured many lands, and though your lands seem to have strife and trouble of their own, the noble races in there seem to remain virtuous and prominent. This could not be farther from the case where I come from. Our lands are similar in that they are carved into kingdoms, but that is where the similarities end. My lands are ruled by the morally bankrupt and truly depraved. The kingdoms that hold sway in my homelands abuse and pervert magics as well as cavort with powers you have shown the sound judgement to resist.

We suffer under five kingdoms, each dripping with the blood and essence of those they have oppressed to gain the domination of our world. They have found a tenuous stalemate which lingers on far too precise a balance for any one of the kingdoms to move significantly against the other without inviting their own doom. This balance is predicated on the idea that none are willing or able to stand in defense of those who are murdered, enslaved or worse. Our small resistance stands against these injustices, but in this balance our rebellion suffers. The treasuries of these gluttons bulge with the wealth they have accumulated from those they have abused and impoverished on their march to power. Such wealth and power is more than our handful of honest men can ever hope to overcome. For many years we have scoured the lands, hoping for an opening that has not come.

Please. Hear this plea. Yet not for my sake. I may die before you ever read this letter but the struggle will still rage on. Please. Think of those you love. Think of how far you would go to save them. Please. Help us stand and protect the innocent from their own depraved leaders. Help us stop the abuses of the defenseless at the hands of the very people who were tasked with protecting them. Please. Do not abandon us. Our only chance at life is in your hands.

Franklin
Leader of The Resistance
Liberator to the Five Kingdoms

Back