A Letter to House Idris

A letter arrives at the Estate of House Idris in Five Bridges via courier- a simple wooden tube bound by jute cording addressed to The Countess. It contains a rolled scroll made from what appears to be woven grasses, and sealed with an ivory beeswax disc stamped with a lotus flower in full bloom nestled on top of the bosom of a stylized heart pierced with a thin dagger. The courier says it came from across the mists: Atupal, the floating city near Passwall in Gavaria. Opening it releases the faint fragrance of solemn incense dappled with the gentle notes of lilac and rose. Upon breaking waxen seal, the following is penned in a flowing script:

Greetings to you, your most honourable Ladyship, Countess Idris,

Thank you for your presence and advocacy during the Tribunal Proceedings during our last visit to Rathfall. It brought me much gladness to be able to see you again after our first meeting at the Etiquette Course. My heart is filled with such joy when we speak; it is a gift for which I am truly grateful. May the Earth be ever bountiful in its boons to you and your House.

I am writing to you for guidance regarding how to continue my service to you and your people. I am unfamiliar with the correct procedure to go about a request to purchase, lease, or rent property in Rathfall, specifically within Pauper’s Launch. Would you be willing to steer me in the right direction, or assign one of your aides to help me understand the process?

In my recent visit to Rathfall, it seemed to me that Pauper’s Launch was the location where I could be of the most service to the community given my line of work and experience. I was hoping to establish a sister clinic and service center there, a new branch of The Gloaming Rose which was founded in Atupal, Gavaria. In order to set up, I would need no more than the equivalent of a small wooden cabin to start. I would be able to make whatever payments necessary to acquire or build a facility- my Shoppe has done well the last couple markets, and I can afford this expense in order to better serve Rathfall during the times the Adventuring Community crosses the mist to visit.

The Gloaming Rose would offer basic health care to those who cannot afford, shelter and care for any orphan or lost child in need, food for the hungry, and guidance to those who seek to better themselves through education or employment. We also are a contact point for Common Folk to enlist aid directly from The Unbounded for more dire or serious matters, such as deliverance from bandits or undead hordes, or looking into instances of necromancy or powerful curses. As we learn more about the systems for communal support already established in Rathfall, we will help those in need with following those systems. Additionally, we will fill in the gaps of coverage so that our line of support is complimentary instead of redundant.

Also, I believe that the Unbounded Community will be tilting our efforts to and fro between Gavaria and The Grimere Expanse over the next season. With that in mind, I was hoping to hire someone reliable to continue serving those in need at the new branch of The Gloaming Rose in Pauper’s Launch (if approved) while I am away in Gavaria. Would you be able to direct me towards someone who could recommend reliable Commonfolk who are looking for work? No prior experience would be needed; I can teach them the art of caring for others, and pay them a good monthly salary for their work.

Lastly, I was so moved when you motioned for including The Unbounded in the dialogue for Prison Reforms. This is a subject very dear to my heart; The Way teaches us to always seek the Redemption of The Villain, to build social structures that promote equity, and to show others that Justice and Mercy are not an opposing dichotomy, but are simply two sides of the same coin; too often, the means of those in power undermine the spirit of their goals. If we are to build and protect a Society of Peace and Flourishing, it must be upon a stable foundation of Compassion for the weak and wayward in order to be sure and lasting, not on the fragile crutches of fear and oppression. I am eager to participate in the collaboration of good, sustainable updates to your current prison and justice systems that will prevent past atrocities and allow even the most hardened criminal to transform into a good and healthy citizen of your realm. To that end, I will gladly endeavor for the good of all of Rathfall.

Thank you for your time and generosity.

Wishing you the providence of peace and good health,
Housemother Adlao- HM

((I realize that the Countess might not respond directly; any form of follow up from Rathfall Plot will be appreciated!))

Last edited:
At first the courier would have difficulty getting anyone to agree to send on the letter to Countess Idris.

The messenger was given a list of excuses by the estates guards and servants to why they would not personally see the message brought to The Countess. That she did not take messages unless they came in a certain way, she was preparing for the feast, she was too busy with her dancing lessons, she was traveling, the tip wasn’t large enough, The Count could get jealous seeing his wife receive such a message and on and on.

The diligent courier was about to turn back with the wooden tube unopened when a voice called out for them to stop.

A guard in obsidian armor accepted the tube and inspected the carefully wrapped message.

“Come back when the Dawn star is at its highest point and if The Countess has a reply it will be waiting for you.” A pouch of velvet was handed over to the courier that jingled with coins before they returned to the inner estate.

The same guard in black was ready for the Housemother's courier. A simple rolled parchment is tied with a few gold and royal blue ribbons. The guard would hand off the message without a word.

Upon unrolling the parchment these words were written in a silvery ink:

Dearest Housemother Adlao,

Your tender words have moved me to tears. It is an honor to know a soul as kind and thoughtful as you. Each word your write is full of love for others. I so look forward to seeing you again and to answering your questions to the best of my ability. I find that will be done best in person.

Would you do me the honor of joining me at my estate? I would be so pleased to talk to you more there. Also, I would love to offer the services of dance lessons to you and the other unbounded. Before our feast there will be an invitation to learn a few traditional dances. It would make me so happy to see you there.

I believe you would look beautiful in the House Idris colors. The yellow and blue ribbons are for you as a small token of the start of our friendship. If you find the one named Star, please offer her this invitation and ribbons too. If more of the unbounded would honor me in joining with my house then I will offer this small token.

All are invited to the dance, even those that do not wear my colors. I hope to be as open as your heart.

Until we meet again,

Countess Idris of The Five Bridges

It’s dusk by the time the return letter arrives in Atupal, Gavaria. She thanked the courier by giving him few spice rolls she had baked earlier that afternoon in addition to his pay.

The last rays of the sleepy Winter Sun cast a hazy ribbon of deep orange across Adlao’s writing desk through the bubbled-glass pane windows of the Gloaming Rose. After finishing her read of the reply, she handles the letter fondly as she rolls it back up and carefully ties the blue and gold ribbons back into a bow. Adlao opens her letter drawer below the desk to stow the scroll away next to many other bound scrolls bearing waxen sigils of all kinds: some of blood reddish maroon, others of pale greens, or sparkling silver. She pauses for a moment, closes the drawer instead, and with Scroll from House Idris in hand, walks over to her cot in the corner of the room.

Under the meager bed is a plain pine storage box which she pulls forward, and she begins to take out neatly folded piles of aprons, veils, blouses and skirts of many different shades and hues until she finds what she is looking for. She holds the ribbons from the Letter against the pieces of the dress ensemble she has laid out on her bedspread and smiles, humming to herself a song she once heard at a Ball long ago somewhere else far off in memory.

Last edited:
Back