A Letter to The High Vindicator of The Earth's Chosen

A modest scroll case arrives at the fortress of the Earth’s Chosen in Old Rathfall- a wooden tube embellished on both ends with a six-petaled flower, bound by an off-white ribbon two-finger widths across tied into a simple bow. One of the tail ends of the ribbon is marked, addressing the scroll it bears to High Vindicator Constantine. Opening the tube releases the fragrance of a solemn incense dappled with the gentle, sweet notes of lilacs and roses in wistful bloom. Contained within is a rolled scroll made from what appears to be dozens of meticulously dried and pressed hydrangea flowers in the full range of the cooler colors of the twilight rainbow- how so many individual florets could be pressed and laminated together to form a solid, flat sheet of papyrus is a mystery.

The scroll is sealed with an ivory waxen disc stamped with a lotus flower in full bloom nestled atop the bosom of a stylized heart pierced with a thin dagger. The courier says it came from across the mists: Atupal, the floating city near Passwall in Gavaria. Upon breaking beeswax seal, the following is penned in a flowing script of deep, indigo ink:

Greetings to you, Your Excellency, High Vindicator Constantine,

I wish you good health and fortitude; may That which turns back the darkness ever illumine you and your endeavors.

It was an honor to be in your audience after the Tribunal; thank you for taking time to speak to me and to allow me to share with you about my journey. I am grateful to you for both your magnanimity and candor; it is providential that Earth’s Chosen has come into your command, and now benefits from your most condign leadership.

Please forgive me if my impressions are misguided; I felt as though we reached several moments of profound, mutual understanding over the course of our visstiduinous dialogue. Though, by your generous forbearance, I am no longer bound by oath to the Earth’s Chosen, there are many instances in which our paths parallel, and it is precisely that synchronicity that I wish to continue to explore. It seems to me that the Teachings of The Way are very much compatible with the values of The Earth’s Chosen, at least it would appear so on the surface. I would be most grateful to continue our ecumenical discussions, so that we might delve more deeply together to what extent The Way and The Earth’s Chosen are perhaps concordant.

It is no secret that The Earth’s Chosen optics have been tarnished heavily by the baleful misdeeds of your predecessor, Vellano the Betrayer, especially among The Unbounded Community. In my heart of hearts, I want to believe that his treachery and machinations were his and his alone, and not symptoms of a wider rot. Nowhere was this belief more affirmed for me than in our conversation, especially in the way your eyes lit up with such sincere warmth and excitement when I handed you that Missive- a rarity among stone elves, from what I understand of your lineage. It is for that heartfelt reason that I am open to being a close affiliate and ally, and might advocate for you and the Earth’s Chosen to my Unbounded peers and superiors. From what I have heard, the Adventuring Community will be spending more time in the Grimere Expanse in the future. It will take much effort on our part, but if you are willing to accept my support, perhaps we can change the reputation of The Earth’s Chosen among the Unbounded.

I know that at The Feast you will be very busy attending to delegates and dignitaries from many lands, but it is my hope that you might spare some time again for me, even though I hold no worthy station other than my commitment to purity and service. I truly did cherish our conversation; rare and few are the times when I can share my overwhelming enthusiasm for making the world a better, pellucid place for the sake of Others, and feel that inward effervescence reflected back to me in another...

May the Earth ever blossom before you,
Housemother Adlao- HM

As you read the last words, a pristinely preserved stemmed rose of the softest shade of lilac flutters gently to the ground, seemingly tucked into the scroll case as well where you did not see it at first, perhaps.

Last edited:
Back