A Proclamation through the Mists

Aden Corso

(OOG: I realized that my original posting of this was in the OOG Big West forum. I figure this is a better place for it. If it's not, let me know.)

A voice carries through the Dreaming, tinged with the unmistakable hint of Mist...

I am Aden Corso, Gentleman of Court, a Mist-Traveller from the far and newfound shard of Aetheria. Of late I have had the privilege and honour to meet many of you, fighting at your side and uncovering the plots of the Immortals of Sanctum, and fates willing we will meet again one day to recall fondly our triumphs there and seek out new adventures and new wrongs to put right. However, during the course of our unwilling visit, I found myself the victim of a number of troubling and disheartening thefts. While some of the articles were indeed recovered, a number were not. In reaching out to you now, I am concerned with only one of those, an item which every adventurer in Sanctum has seen and become familiar with - and which was used to safeguard many of your very lives.

I am speaking of the grave-marker of Dioder, wielded to shield innumerable people from harm in our assault on Cidra's fortress, and which I purchased at great cost (great to me, at least, or any other travellers from my shard) to aid the people of my homeland. You see, Dioder's stone allows the user to cast a protective Ward upon a number of dwellings. Aetheria has only recently become peopled by large numbers of Destined, and there are precious few among our people who have the ability to create their own Wards. The dangers and evils of our world are many and varied, and a peaceful night's rest is often a luxury that very few can afford otherwise. Dioder's Stone would have gone a long way in correcting that by protecting those who would be the most vulnerable to the dangers that come every night, however, it was stolen from the tavern, where I had often and loudly proclaimed it to be for the use of the other visitors of Sanctum to protect themselves against any voice and area spells utilized by the strange inhabitants of the Immortals' realm. In leaving it there I was undoubtedly too trusting, but I viewed the needs of my fellow adventurers to be too great to do otherwise. At great cost to myself and my companions in Aetheria, I have learned the price of such largesse.

To the thief, I would say this: If your need is greater, if you hope to use it to protect those who otherwise cannot, keep the stone, though I cannot imagine a more desperate situation than the people of my shard must endure every day and night. Indeed, if your need is greater, than I wish you had spoken up, so that we might have had an opportunity to come to another arrangement as opposed to vile theft. If it was stolen out of greed, I hope you feel unending shame, and I hope that every time you use it you are haunted by the thoughts of heroes and innocents dying in their beds because you wished for a few more gold coins.

To the rest, if any of you in your many and varied shards encounter the one who has stolen Dioder's Stone, I hope you bring the thief to justice, and you then send me word so I can be at peace at it having been done.

Here I close this message. I am Aden Corso. I thank you for your patience in hearing me out in this fashion, and apologize at the interruption of your dreams. Know once more I would proudly stand alongside any of you in the face of peril. Until such a time, I shall remain your humble servant.

Back