A Quick Look at Some Rules

Arkade

Scholar
The Hold Rule
Anyone who sees an unsafe situation happening or about to happen can call a Hold in a fight. “Hold!” should be yelled so that everyone in battle can hear it—otherwise, it may be followed by another flurry of swings. When a Hold is called, stay exactly where you are and drop to one knee. Do not look around you or talk to people about anything not connected with the Hold. This is not a time to study someone and see if they are an NPC or a PC, nor is it a chance to look behind you and see if anyone is sneaking up on you. Please play fair and try not to gather information while the Hold is being sorted out...
... A Hold can also be called for excessive zeal on the part of an opponent. The infraction should be reported to a marshal. Repeated complaints will get a player removed from combat. A Hold can also be called if you are unsure about a rule that has an immediate effect on the battle. Do not call a Hold for minor rules clarifications; usually you can just ask someone while the battle rages on around you. “How much damage does that do?” and questions of that sort are encouraged. Holds should be rare. Understand that the game rules have been written in such a way to try to prevent Holds from being necessary except in rare out-of-game situations...
...If you see a crowd of people kneeling down, then they are probably in a Hold. Do not approach the group until the Hold is over.

The Blue highlights are the parts I think everyone is doing very well with. I really love the amount of patience I'm seeing players giving the newer players. This is the sort of environment that keeps people coming back for more.

The red highlights I think we can do better at as a whole MYSELF very much included! Sure, during a hold you can pick up some packets if the need is dire. Our holds are usually very fast, but it is the responsibility of those of us who have been playing for awhile to make sure everyone understands the rules. What prompted me to make this post was taking a look at myself and seeing were I fall short when LARPing. I kill the hold rule, I talk, typically stand, and if you asked me what the hold was about I probably have no idea. I'm CPR qualified, advanced DC, biological and radio-logical warfare qualified! I should know what is going on, I could help, to a new player, it probably looks like I don't care. Unacceptable. Period.

Lets all make an effort to keep doing the amazing job we are, and keep trying to do even better in the games to come. If you see me disregarding the rules, even if I'm 50 yards away from the hold and in imagination land 1000 miles away, keep me in check, please.

Also, when the reason the Hold was called is resolved, then the person calling the hold should call a Lay-on. First, ensure that everyone is ready to resume play, "Is there any reason for this hold to continue?", if not then, "Everyone up!" then call in a loud voice “Three . . . two . . . one . . . Lay-on!”

Back