A ridiculous number of questions about races and species.

FrankManic

Artisan
I find this rather confusing myself, having just come from my first event.

How do you tell a naked human, a naked gypsy, and a naked barbarian apart if they've all got gags on and you're trying to decide who to sacrifice to the Golden Serpent? When does a pattern stop being interesting and start infringing on another species? What about a barbarian that has feathers braided into his hair, or a scavenger that has feathers for hair? What if your human is colorblind and can't tell what colors he's wearing? What if the body doesn't have a head? What if you've just got a skull to work with, but you need to figure out which corpse is a Barbarian so you can get him back to the ancestral burial ground?

Why does a Barbarian adopted by city folk have a taboo against magic? how would he even know he's a barbarian, except perhaps for a vague preference for wearing little furry hats? Can humans and barbarians mate? Do their kids still have trouble with reading? What if they have twins and one decides to wear a furry hat and one decides not to? What would a Bedouin be? They travel like gypsies, but they fit the classic idea of barbarians as people from the edgs of society, so what are they? If mongols run around wearing fur, but one of the largest one of the largest empires in human history and actually invented their own written language once temujin realized how useful they were, do they count as human or barbarous? And on top of that one of the principle mongol dieties was a sky god who commanded lightning. Why would a barbarian attack a barbarian from another tribe for using sky magic? Are they still worried about starting a feud? Do celestial wizards ever blow into barbarian villages, blow a lot of people up, declare them selves king, and start teaching the promising kids how to burn people with their minds? If they don't, why not? How do barbarians negotiate land disputes?

What happens if you torture a Mystic Wood Elf until it becomes completely deranged?

If a grey elf doesn't feel any emotions how does it make value judgements? Is pleasure an emotion? Is anger? How does a grey elf form interpersonal relationships if it doesn't feel empathy when it's friends are hurt or joy when it's enemies are vanguished? how do any of them survive to adulthood if they're indifferent to their kids fate?

What's the difference between a Sarr and a scavenger, really? What it the sarr is one of the minor felines, like a serval or a fishing cat or something? And why do all scavengers have the same problems with property? Why does a bear scavenger have some of the same characteristics as a boar scavenger, a blue whale scavenger, a serpent scavenger, a moa scavenger, and a raven scavenger? What does a Sarr look like if you shave it?

Why do all dwarves wear beards? What if the dwarf comes from the tropics?

It seems like there is not clear distinction between a species, different races within that species, and the different cultures the individual members of those species might be part of. Like, are their cultures where different species interact in a significant way, or does everyone keep to themselves except when they meet in frontier adventuring towns? Where do all those different kinds of scavengers come from? Do they have significant, genetically stable populations, or do they just spring up from the earth from time to time?

How do scavengers get cloth to make their clothing, and how do they keep track of their sewing needles? What do gypsies wear when they can't get color fast dyes? Why are orcs violent? Is there a lot of competition for resources where they live? Are they still violent if they have enough resources?

How does a MWE who hates slavery and coercion interact with an Orc who wants to beat the crap out of everyone and make them subjects? And where does the king find anyone powerful enough to keep the adventurers in line?

Why does everyone like slaughtering kobolds so much? why do they go out and kill intelligent creatures all the time? What kind of social structures to kobolds have? what about Goblins? Why do they keep going near adventurers when all of their friends and relatives who have gone anywhere near adventurers have been slaughtered? And what do all the monsters eat when they can't get adventurer? What is High Ogre social structure like? Why are hoblings so acquisitive, and why does anyone trust them with money? Where does all the money come from anyway? Who is mining the ore, refining it, striking the coins, assaying them for purity, distributing them, and so forth? How does a kobold or a spider end up with cash money on him? What do they use it for? Why would they risk their lives to steal it? Do they suffer crushing emotional trauma as their kin are put through the meat grinder of adventuring?

Hi. My name is Frank and I like asking questions. : )

Bleyk said:
Wow. I think my head just exploded.

I once killed a physicist that way. about two hours into describing the flavors of quarks he got a sort of amused look on his face and just collapsed.

Bleyk said:
Wow. I think my head just exploded.

im in the same boat. my brain imploded though

FrankManic said:
How do you tell a naked human, a naked gypsy, and a naked barbarian apart if they've all got gags on and you're trying to decide who to sacrifice to the Golden Serpent? When does a pattern stop being interesting and start infringing on another species? What about a barbarian that has feathers braided into his hair, or a scavenger that has feathers for hair? What if your human is colorblind and can't tell what colors he's wearing? What if the body doesn't have a head? What if you've just got a skull to work with, but you need to figure out which corpse is a Barbarian so you can get him back to the ancestral burial ground?
[sarcasm]The gypsy will make noises with an accent and the barbarian will curse the name of sky casters after he eats his gag. [/sarcasm] :p
As soon as you can't tell one race from another at a glance. Exceptions are made with darker races at night. (Dark Elves, Sarr, and certain Wyldkin all looking alike at night.)
Both of them are violating race costuming by having another race's unique features on.
You'll meta-game not wearing ridiculous color combos to maintain verisimilitude.
[sarcasm]The gypsy skull will have attracted local fungi to make a colorful rainbow sunburst on it. The barbarian skull will have a thin jawline due tto all the time he spent cursing the name's of others while he was alive.[/sarcasm]
FrankManic said:
Why does a Barbarian adopted by city folk have a taboo against magic? how would he even know he's a barbarian, except perhaps for a vague preference for wearing little furry hats? Can humans and barbarians mate? Do their kids still have trouble with reading? What if they have twins and one decides to wear a furry hat and one decides not to? What would a Bedouin be? They travel like gypsies, but they fit the classic idea of barbarians as people from the edgs of society, so what are they? If mongols run around wearing fur, but one of the largest one of the largest empires in human history and actually invented their own written language once temujin realized how useful they were, do they count as human or barbarous? And on top of that one of the principle mongol dieties was a sky god who commanded lightning. Why would a barbarian attack a barbarian from another tribe for using sky magic? Are they still worried about starting a feud? Do celestial wizards ever blow into barbarian villages, blow a lot of people up, declare them selves king, and start teaching the promising kids how to burn people with their minds? If they don't, why not? How do barbarians negotiate land disputes?)
His body would just feel different growing up and he would have a gut instinct to stay away from celestial magics. [Insert puberty joke.] (In reference to buying racials.)
Yes.
If they choose to be Barbarian over Human, yes.
Everything works out?
Choose one and run with it.
They are barbarians that wasted build.
Because it violates their beliefs regarding sky magic. The heathen scholar should burn.
Yes.
It could happen, but he'd have a hard time teaching them without them trying to disembowel him in his sleep.
[story]They arrive on the land they believe is there own and demand everyone else get off. Stare-down continues until someone starts throwing coppers at them saying they were looted from their slain ancestors. Then a fight ensues until one side wins.[/story]
FrankManic said:
What happens if you torture a Mystic Wood Elf until it becomes completely deranged?
You now have a deranged Mystic Wood Elf. Congrats!
FrankManic said:
If a grey elf doesn't feel any emotions how does it make value judgements? Is pleasure an emotion? Is anger? How does a grey elf form interpersonal relationships if it doesn't feel empathy when it's friends are hurt or joy when it's enemies are vanguished? how do any of them survive to adulthood if they're indifferent to their kids fate?
They don't make value judgments. Stone Elves make logical conclusions.
Maybe.
Yes.
They assist others and receive assistance back to form a logical alliance for survival.
Just because you're indifferent about raising children, doesn't mean you won't raise them. Stone Elves mate for reproduction and to abandon the resulting child would be illogical.
FrankManic said:
What's the difference between a Sarr and a scavenger, really? What it the sarr is one of the minor felines, like a serval or a fishing cat or something? And why do all scavengers have the same problems with property? Why does a bear scavenger have some of the same characteristics as a boar scavenger, a blue whale scavenger, a serpent scavenger, a moa scavenger, and a raven scavenger? What does a Sarr look like if you shave it?
Sarr have branched off and "evolved" separately from the Wyldkin race collection. (Ergo different racials.)
Unsure.
Because almost all animals have the same problems with property.
Because they are all scavengers.
You won't see it, you'll die well before then.
FrankManic said:
Why do all dwarves wear beards? What if the dwarf comes from the tropics?
Distinctive racial make-up.
He still has a beard.
FrankManic said:
It seems like there is not clear distinction between a species, different races within that species, and the different cultures the individual members of those species might be part of. Like, are their cultures where different species interact in a significant way, or does everyone keep to themselves except when they meet in frontier adventuring towns? Where do all those different kinds of scavengers come from? Do they have significant, genetically stable populations, or do they just spring up from the earth from time to time?
Races from different lands will interact differently. (Considering they most likely have a degree of variation in their local race packet.)
Hell if I or they know.
Sometimes.
FrankManic said:
How do scavengers get cloth to make their clothing, and how do they keep track of their sewing needles? What do gypsies wear when they can't get color fast dyes? Why are orcs violent? Is there a lot of competition for resources where they live? Are they still violent if they have enough resources?
They buy/sew/steal it and they take someone else's if need be.
[sarcasm]They spontaneously combust into a series of colorful fireworks.[/sarcasm] :p
They just are.
Depends.
Probably.
FrankManic said:
How does a MWE who hates slavery and coercion interact with an Orc who wants to beat the crap out of everyone and make them subjects? And where does the king find anyone powerful enough to keep the adventurers in line?
If the Mystic Wood Elf knows, they won't.
He's the king, he'll find someone.
FrankManic said:
Why does everyone like slaughtering kobolds so much? why do they go out and kill intelligent creatures all the time? What kind of social structures to kobolds have? what about Goblins? Why do they keep going near adventurers when all of their friends and relatives who have gone anywhere near adventurers have been slaughtered? And what do all the monsters eat when they can't get adventurer? What is High Ogre social structure like? Why are hoblings so acquisitive, and why does anyone trust them with money? Where does all the money come from anyway? Who is mining the ore, refining it, striking the coins, assaying them for purity, distributing them, and so forth? How does a kobold or a spider end up with cash money on him? What do they use it for? Why would they risk their lives to steal it? Do they suffer crushing emotional trauma as their kin are put through the meat grinder of adventuring?
Because they are an annoyance of a lesser goblinoid/lupine (I forget which) race.
They have nothing better to do, are hired to, or they need resources.
Whoever isn't taking a nap is in charge.
/shrug
Plants, wildlife, and non-adventuring humanoids.
No idea.
Whoever trusts their gold to a hobling better not want that gold back.
The kingdom mints it.
Miners, forgers, and minters in locations that the kingdom keep secret.
He killed a humanoid with some or was given it to kill something else.
*Stares into gold* Shiny......
Very.
Yes. I personally fried one's brain with emotion-link. BEST RP EVAH

some of those questions arent so bad, and have answers. But there are so many of them i dont think any one can focus on a particular one. I recommend you try asking one or two questions at a time. otherwise your unlikely to get an answer. No one is going to answer 50,000 questions at the same time. At least no one I know.

Jevedor said:
some of those questions arent so bad, and have answers. But there are so many of them i dont think any one can focus on a particular one. I recommend you try asking one or two questions at a time. otherwise your unlikely to get an answer. No one is going to answer 50,000 questions at the same time. At least no one I know.
Beat you to it. :lol:

I stand corrected.... some people will answer 50,000 questions...

I think I owe Libras several cookies now.

Good questions if a bit of a wall of text.

Libras covered the specifics fairly well but I'd like to adress some general themes to the questions.

Overall a key question seems how to reconcile racial stats and culture. they are two different aspects that standardly interact but don't Have to.

the first aspect is stats, also makeup requirements. To keep Races recognizable makeup reqs have been instituted. Its an OOG reference to ensure recognition. the fact is that the races actually have racial traits that go beyond dress or accent but those can't be simulated as easily Each race woudl still be recongnizable as thier race due to build and skintone etc or some such though it would require an OOG call (of course this is a mixed age game so no naked gagging should be actually taking place). Similarly all fwarves have beards etc. This is also covers the racial stats (resists extra costs etc) everyone is one race or another and they all share those traits. A Barbarian can learn celestial magic but would have more trouble than a human, even if raised among humans this continues through all the races and is a system balance game it doesn't make sense necisarily but its how it is.

The other aspect is the RP requirements these are more guidlines and can be adjusted based on experiance and or background for a character though there will be expectaionts from others that you will follow the herd, you don't have to. An individual Barbarian can be fine with celestial magic his tribe wouldn't be and other barbarians will not trust him any more than any other celestial caster. this goes right down through all the races Stone elves evn could be emotional (representing mind magic gone horribly wrong perhaps?) but as a race they are driven by logic and reason not emotion. You should take into account what is in your chapters racial packet but you don't need to obey it absolutely just make sure your background explains the differences.

Now in general you should take seriously the Racial RP elements and use them in your character if you don't want to RP any of the RP traits look at another race that better fits what you see your character behaving like. Exceptions shouldn't become the rule is a good guidline.

A further note on Stone Elves (grey elves) and pleasure: Pleasure implies happiness, which is an emotion. Stone elves are not indifferent. They can be satisfied with a favorable outcome. It doesn't make them happy, but they recognize that it is good. The other side of the coin is dissapointment - when something turns out wrong, a stone elf recognizes that it is bad without being upset about it.
Only when you play a stone elf do you realize how many words in the english language are based on emotional responses.

Aslo with stone elves as I recall its not strictly determined if its that they feel nothing or 'only' express nothing.

For instance the vulcans from which they have been clearly ripped off :) feel as much (some argue more) than any other race but they don't allow themselves to express the feelings.

FrankManic said:
I find this rather confusing myself, having just come from my first event.

How do you tell a naked human, a naked gypsy, and a naked barbarian apart if they've all got gags on and you're trying to decide who to sacrifice to the Golden Serpent?

The human is the boring looking one, the gypsy is the one who whist being naked and gagged and tied to a chair is looking at you wondering when foreplay is going to be over, and the Barbarian is going to be the one frothing at the mouth and is about to beat you to death with your chair.

And Mr Angrydurf, what makes you think this is universally a mixed age game? IIRC our resident stone elf efficenado cant play in her closest chapter yet because its 18+. Soon though.

I didn't say universally mixed age I know some chapters are 18+ but several (I would guess most) are mixed age hence my comment.

Not to mention even in 18+ games gagged naked prisoners I would think shouldn't really be happening. By this I mean of course actually having players strip down saying that they have been stripped is all fine and good but at that point you do have the defining garb to be able to differentiate OOG.

This seemed to be about the section mentioning Barbarians and Wylderkin wearing feathers.

Libras said:
Both of them are violating race costuming by having another race's unique features on.

There is nothing wrong with either race wearing feathers, as long as the Barbarian doesn't have feathered eyebrows and the Bird Wylderkin are obviously birds.

Angrydurf said:
For instance the vulcans from which they have been clearly ripped off :) feel as much (some argue more) than any other race but they don't allow themselves to express the feelings.

The thing to remember is that Vulcans CHOOSE to supress emotions. Stone elves HAVE TO DO IT. Why? FOIG hehehe

Picked one that I liked.

FrankManic said:
What it the sarr is one of the minor felines, like a serval or a fishing cat or something?

There are Serval and Caracal Sarr in the NJ chapter. Ocelots and Lynx aren't very big when compared to Lions and Tigers, but there are Sarr versions of them in many chapters as well.

Wildescent. *nods*

Back