About UL

what is the difference between a Carbon core and a Fiberglass core? is it worth it to upgrade to carbon? and what size cores would be good for a longsword for carbon?

i use fiberglass now

During Wyrdcon, I was introduced to a 6 foot, two handed hammer made of a carbon fiber rod with a kevlar coating. This thing was no heavier than any other weapon but the whip factor was all but non-existant. I'm trying to find out where they purchased this thing but if you're going to make anything 5-6 feet, I would suggest finding this stuff and using it.

I was thinking about a carbon two hander, but I need to have an idea of how thick or thin the core should be

1/2 to 3/4 in diameter is the size of the kitespar used, is that accurate? i will believe you if you do say they should be the same diameter, it would just catch me by surprise

What I meant to say is that a 3/4" kite spar would be best as it would be the most rigid for a 2 handed weapon. If you had to go with something slightly smaller (such as a 5/8" diameter) that probably would work as well - it's what I use for staffs but I don't have a large head on the end nor swing it from one end of the weapon. I think that a 1/2" might be just a little too wobbly for a 6 foot weapon.

that is a great two handed core. i use that for my polearms, and they have turned out great

i know what diameter kitespar to use, i am looking at graphite, because i don't wanna drop $30 on a failed attempt at graphite weapons without knowing that the core i got can be used to build safe weapons.

i've been told that outerdiameter kitespar .606 is all you need for the longest polearm, and my .745 OD are great. but you only need .505 OD for two handers, i have made 5 of those and they are great weapons. you get a little whip, but not much at all, and it will be lighter than .745

I assume that is the point of the graphite core. i guess i could just guess, but the way i see graphite cores would be that you don't need as large a core to serve the same purpose as a kitespar core, and that's how the weight is shaved off

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=144&

This stuff is da bomb for making two handers with. It's perfect length for a max length polearm or staff and if you put a little tape over the spot you want to cut can easily be hack sawed down to any length. Fifteen bucks plus shipping gets you a two hander core that will last at least 8 years (and counting on mine, will let you know if it ever breaks!)

Most of the pole style weapons I make/donate are of the .606" and they aren't whippy at all.
You need to build up the handle a bit for taste's but works wonders even out to max length.

Why the diff. between cores of 2h and polearms?

Back