Ages - common knowledge or FOIG?

James Trotta

Spellsword
Diversity Committee
I'm not sure about the new rulebook because I downloaded mine onto a computer 5,000 or so miles away but in my old rulebook it has some specific information about some races, general information about others, and not much about the rest. So I know high-orcs and high-ogres start off young and die young. I know Dwarves can live a while but not exactly how long when compared to elves. And I don't know anything about hoblings.

Would it be useful to have a little chart of races, ages they reach adulthood, and typical lifespans? Or is some information specifically withheld to force people to find it IG?

All I know is that my elf's player is aging a lot faster than the elf.

Scott

James,
I know often times that they are in the race packets, but the drawback to that is usually you get the race packet after you've already made the character.

Hope this helps,
-Ali

Yeah, my elf seems to be a few centuries older than he really is...
Duke Frost said:

Scott

Yeah I guess my question is do we want players to have to get the race packet to find this stuff out?
zehnyu said:
James,
I know often times that they are in the race packets, but the drawback to that is usually you get the race packet after you've already made the character.

Hope this helps,
-Ali

I think of race this way:

In Game most people know what races are normal or short-lived (Humans, High Orcs, Wylderkin, etc.) and which are long lived (Biata, Elves, Stone Elves, etc.).

As for spesific ages, a person would have to check out a race packet, although there may be some people IG that can tell you.

I don't think race age is some dark secret that cannot be revealed. It all depends on the character's willingness to give out that information.

Jim

Duke Frost said:

Scott

Yeah, and my Foxkin is in damn good shape for being elderly. :D

Here's what the Rule Book says (starting at page 38):

Barbarians have the same life expectancy as a human.

Biata live a very long time, like the Stone elves from which they are descended.

Dark elves are capable of living for great lengths of time.

Spores are the youngest, living only a few mere decades. Thorns’ and Reeds’ average lifespans tend to be about a century, while Barkskins’ lifetimes are closer to those of the elves.

[Dwarven] life span is much longer than that of humans and other races (up to 500 years or so)

Elves also have very long lifespans. They mature at the same rate as humans until they reach their late teens, and then they age much more slowly and remain in maturity for many years. An elf that appears old is very old indeed.

[No mention of age under gypsy, but it's generally understood that they age at the same rate as humans]

High ogres have a very short life expectancy compared to other races, and they mature faster, so that your starting player may only be four years old!

[No mention of age under high orc, but it's generally understood that they age at the same rate as high ogres]

[No mention of age under hobling, but it's generally understood that they age at the same rate as humans]

Mystic Wood elves have no official documented life span. For all intents and purposes, they seem to be immortal and never seem to die of old age, but instead of accidents, battles and other causes.

The sarr, as a race, can live for as long as eighty years. Due to their society, however, very few live past the age of forty.

On average, stone elves live to be approximately 1200 years old.

[No mention of age under wylderkin, but it's generally understood that they age at the same rate as the animals they are based upon]

So in conclusion, there are guidelines but not tremendously strict ones; a starting character should never be very old though because otherwise you would have to explain why you don't have more skills.

However I would like to say, its not unreasonable to have an Elf or other long lived race you play be 100+ or whatever. You could have easily spent your whole like doing non-combat related things skill wise. Just try to be able to either learn as much as you can about your society so you can at least "fake" knowing stuff, or have some sort of traumatic memory wipe situation or something.

Realize it is a bit weird if every elf out there is like 50 or younger... that's really young for an elf/dark elf/mwe/stone elf...

Dreamingfurther said:
However I would like to say, its not unreasonable to have an Elf or other long lived race you play be 100+ or whatever. You could have easily spent your whole like doing non-combat related things skill wise. Just try to be able to either learn as much as you can about your society so you can at least "fake" knowing stuff, or have some sort of traumatic memory wipe situation or something.

Realize it is a bit weird if every elf out there is like 50 or younger... that's really young for an elf/dark elf/mwe/stone elf...

I disagree with that last comment. The book says that elves and other long lived races mature the same rate as humans and then slow down. (Otherwise you'd be changing elven diapers for 25 years or so).

In Ashbury, for instance, our Duke (a biata) is younger than 50 years old.

25 years of diapers... *shudders* elven parenthood would be rough if that was the case.

I look at it this way: elves/biata/MWEs aren't in a rush to learn things, because when your lifespan is measured in centuries rather than decades, you don't have to cram in all your learning. When you start adventuring, it's learn (and apply said skills) or die. Shorter lived races may try and learn quickly, but you can't wield a sword (or wear untold pounds of armor!) until you're physically strong enough. You can't learn to channel the magic necessary to cast spells before you're mentally strong enough.

Someone was explaining her reasoning for her elf's age to me a few weeks ago. She said it made sense that her elf was in her early 20s when she first started playing, because she was so inexperienced. Now it's kinda funny that her elf is in her mid to late 20s (which is still VERY young for the type of elf she plays) and she's got a big spell block and all sorts of rit levels. She didn't really think about that when she started.

I guess situations like what lauren is talking about are what I'm saying might be nice to avoid. Ending up with characters that are 30th level or around that and then finding out they are like 29... seems a bit odd. I just feel like it doesn't nessisarily make sense for every character out there to start "young" since in the case of elves and longer lived races, the span we get to play them is such a small bit of their IG lives that there would be no older characters at all if you didn't have some people that started more old to middle aged characters.

I wasn't trying to say that elves would be in diapers for 25 years or anything, that doesn't make any sense. But I also don't think it would make a whole lot of sense if almost every adventure elf or other long lived race "somehow" was less than 100 years old...

And the rulebook also doesn't really talk about bringing 10th level or above characters that have been blanketed up that high, which is definitely something that people do and or happens from time to time...

Wraith said:
Duke Frost said:

Scott

A foxkin eh?

(Intrigued since I play a Foxkin).

Dreamingfurther said:
I wasn't trying to say that elves would be in diapers for 25 years or anything, that doesn't make any sense. But I also don't think it would make a whole lot of sense if almost every adventure elf or other long lived race "somehow" was less than 100 years old...

Well, according to most folks, adventurer's life spans are shorter than normal folks because of the dangerous situations they put themselves into. This could justify the younger elves being the adventurers. These dangerous situations also cause them to have more experiences that would increase their power. As an example: I, personally, would expect an elf adventurer that was 250 years old spent a great deal of that time coddled and slower learning in comparison to the experiences the adventuresome lifestyle would give them.

But that's just how I've viewed it.

Fearless Leader said:
[No mention of age under wylderkin, but it's generally understood that they age at the same rate as the animals they are based upon]

So if I play a roach do I get a racial Regen? Hehehe ;)

lol AWESOME if so I will totally play a roach... :D

Dreamingfurther said:
lol AWESOME if so I will totally play a roach... :D

Roaches can get into the grain, so Ondreij would so automatically squash that roach without even thinking - he would just need one of those giant shoes like hang outside of the shoemaker's shop.

Gilwing said:
Fearless Leader said:

So if I play a roach do I get a racial Regen? Hehehe ;)

No but you can run around for two days without your head. ;)

kitsune85 said:
Wraith said:
Duke Frost said:

Scott

A foxkin eh?

(Intrigued since I play a Foxkin).

Yeah, he's been my main for five or six years now. Haven't been able to play him because his fighting style is a lot more active than my battered knees will currently allow.

Back