Alliance 2.0 Playtest Weekend (Sept 14-16)

In addition to the September Event being our Dragonfall festival, we’re going to be running our Playtest weekend for the 2.0 Ruleset. The whole Event will be played using the 2.0 Ruleset.

If you haven’t looked at it you can read through the rules here and check out the changes in bite-sized chunks on our Facebook page.

What does this mean for my Character?
Your Character will have to be rebuilt using the 2.0 Ruleset. You get to completely respend you XP (that’s 2.0 for Build) and you can play with all of your options now by registering at http://freeplay.alliancelarp.com/.
If you’re looking for help, we’ve created a forum post for suggestions.
You can also reach out to any of the staff members (including the Kalinthas Plot team) as we’ve been working hard to be familiar with the new rules set so we can make this a smooth effort.

Prior to the Event, we’ll post a link to the new database that will let you build your Character for the Event. The expectation is that you have your Character built prior to the weekend so we can focus on testing the game instead of Character building.

I don’t know these rules well, I’m worried about messing up.
It’s going to be a learning experience for everyone but we’ll all work together on it. None of us have run a whole Event on these rules, so no one is going to be perfect. We just want to give everyone the opportunity to have feedback before the 2.0 Rules are fully implemented

Do we get credit for this Event?
Yep. For all purposes this is a normal Event with the exception of the new rules.

What about Magic Items?
We’ll retag any Magic Items the follow the Standard Alliance Magic Item rules (including LCO items) under the 2.0 Ruleset. If you have items with nonstandard effects, they will not be accepted for this Event
Magic Item updates must be done through pre-registration. We will not be retagging items during Friday night Logistics.
The playtest package has suggested rituals to replace with your effects.

What about my transform, vacuum packages, or some other power?
Transforms, vacuum packages and other acquired powers will not function during the Playtest.
You are welcome, and encouraged, to maintain your makeup and your roleplay disadvantage, but we believe it’s best to learn the base rules without any additional complexity.
Additionally, any sources of skill renewal will also be unavailable, including plot bag pulls, deals, etc.

Goblin Stamps And Gold Spending
You'll have the option to spend up to 5 gold, or 500 Goblin Stamps on production items. Some of you will want newer suits of armor, or various production items. This is a one time playtest option, and needs to be included in your prereg.

We’ll be using the national monster manual.
Monsters at the Event will be significantly different from the monsters you’re used to encountering in our game. These changes are inline with the adjustments in the 2.0 Ruleset (we wouldn’t change the rules for you without changing them for the monsters).
We’ll make the changes to makeup to make them appropriate to our game but, stating is going to be a bit different.

Anything you use or do in this Event will still have consequences.
Resources used will still be expended.
If you pick a fight with an npc, those consequences will carry into future Events.

Production/Crafting
Be aware that use of Production Skills may come into play during your adventures (i.e. a Blacksmith could have the opportunity to repair something while others are fighting off monsters) these interactions will have a Production Point cost so Players with these skill may want to save some of their Production Points.

If you have questions, please post them here so we can help everyone out.

Last edited by a moderator:

What does this mean for my Character?
Your Character will have to be rebuilt using the 2.0 Ruleset. You get to completely respend you XP (that’s 2.0 for Build) and you can play with all of your options now by registering at freeplay-alliancedb.herokuapp.com.
If you’re looking for help, we’ve created a forum post for suggestions.
You can also reach out to any of the staff members (including the Kalinthas Plot team) as we’ve been working hard to be familiar with the new rules set so we can make this a smooth effort.

You'll have the option to spend up to 5 gold, or 500 Goblin Stamps on production items. Some of you will want newer suits of armor, or various production items. This is a one time playtest option, and needs to be included in your prereg.

If you have questions, please post them here so we can help everyone out.

I have a question. I fully intend to rewrite my character in a way that does not resemble his current build when 2.0 hits. I can see both the benefit of rewriting him as his current build for the purposes of playtesting the system, and also the benefit that I would have building him as a spellcaster to help me decide whether to do that when 2.0 rolls around. I also see the lore issue with suddenly becoming a full spellcaster for one event. What do you either need from me, or suggest I do?

-JT

How are you doing craftsman coin. I plan on putting just as much or more than I have now onto craftsman. Won't be that guy who just rewrites with 200 Craftsman but will be off from my norm.

Jared

I have a question. I fully intend to rewrite my character in a way that does not resemble his current build when 2.0 hits. I can see both the benefit of rewriting him as his current build for the purposes of playtesting the system, and also the benefit that I would have building him as a spellcaster to help me decide whether to do that when 2.0 rolls around. I also see the lore issue with suddenly becoming a full spellcaster for one event. What do you either need from me, or suggest I do?

-JT

Please play a build that would more closely resemble 2.0 that you think you might enjoy. Don't worry about the lore too much. We'll probably provide a reasoning soon.

I plan on doing a lot of craftsman just for coin to pay for my production. But they will all be reasonable and not far fetched from what pyke would actually do.

How are you doing craftsman coin. I plan on putting just as much or more than I have now onto craftsman. Won't be that guy who just rewrites with 200 Craftsman but will be off from my norm.

Jared

We'll pay out coin for Craftsman skills. If you are taking extra to just to make extra money with no intent of having a 2.0 character with Craftsmans, we'll consider that unsportsmanlike behavior and a violation of the spirit of the game. But, there's a magic item reason to have more Craftsman skills.

Jared I'm sure you're just looking to pick up a few more to round out Pyke. I'm sure that's fine.

tl;dr You really don't want to abuse our kindness in this situation, a lot of chapters aren't paying out on Craftsman for their playtests.

I plan making what I want to finalize at so with the Craftsman I get would be not added just for the play test. I'm upping my alchemy by near double and want to be able to just transfer my craftsman money into production.

I plan making what I want to finalize at so with the Craftsman I get would be not added just for the play test. I'm upping my alchemy by near double and want to be able to just transfer my craftsman money into production.

Yeah Jared of course, I knew you weren't interested in breaking the intent. I was just taking the chance to clarify for anyone who might be considering this as a chance to play a character with 200 Craftsman skills just for a quick money gain.

I'm deciding between two different ways to rebuild Collette when the official change comes. Is it okay if I choose one for the play test that's very different from the one I might go with?

I'm deciding between two different ways to rebuild Collette when the official change comes. Is it okay if I choose one for the play test that's very different from the one I might go with?
Collette with a polearm and mad fighting skills. Do it..

Absolutely. You can play any version of your Character you want for the Playtest. You can even play a version of your Character that you'll never play again.

Yes. Sorry my words got twisted a bit. Specifically, we consider it a bad thing to play a build that is lot of Craftsman skills specifically to just get a free chance at the income it brings. Cause that's not cool since there's a real cost to coin, and it's a bit cheesy to exploit the game like that.

It is very very cool to try something new, play a different build then your used to, or whatever.

It's pretty likely we're going to run the closer under the playtest rules too. So, while I cannot guarantee that will be the case, you'll likely get a chance to try out two 2.0 builds.

Yes. Sorry my words got twisted a bit. Specifically, we consider it a bad thing to play a build that is lot of Craftsman skills specifically to just get a free chance at the income it brings. Cause that's not cool since there's a real cost to coin, and it's a bit cheesy to exploit the game like that.

It is very very cool to try something new, play a different build then your used to, or whatever.

It's pretty likely we're going to run the closer under the playtest rules too. So, while I cannot guarantee that will be the case, you'll likely get a chance to try out two 2.0 builds.

Awesome! It will be fun to compare in October!

Back