Alliance MN

Jorundr

Artisan
I dont want to post on their local boards it seems like some of my posts get removed without some sort of notice there.

so..

Most Important questions
1) I know there has been a build cap in that chapter since its inception, what is the cap?
2) when will the cap be raising or removed?
3) how do I handle a build cut on my character should I choose to come play there?
4) Do I gain build based on the XP I'm at while at your game or my total xp in the dbase?

Secondary questions as follow up
5) Is there any funky LCO rules I need to be aware of.. I mean are you all accepting production tags and normal skill made items?
6) Stance on alternative core weapons, not just UL core weapons
7) Policy on UL shields vs. Wood or Metal shields
8) If there are non-standard effects being used do I have to accept them or can I elect to flee the area / module before hand?

I'm not sure why your posts who be removed Jorunder, Roycifer is the only one with access. I'll try to answer your questions as the General Manager, but be aware that Roy is the final word.

1. The Build cap is currently 105
2. As per Roy "Not soon"
3. Build cuts are not legal under the current alliance By-laws
4. Blankets would be applied by your home chapter and should be equal to your actual build (Question is quasi-moot since we cannot accept 'cut-downs'

5. Production and normal tags transfer without restriction.
6. We tend to discourage making weapons light, just for the sake of making them lighter as we feel it promotes charging and unsafe combat. Weapons are rating on adherance to Alliance guidelines, the overall 'shape' of the weapon (ie new, rundown, damaged) and the heft of the weapon. It is not unheard of for weapons to be refused due to insufficent weight. To sum up, if you are using alternative cores, it should be as similar to standard materials as possible for both weight and 'whippy-ness'
7. Roy will have to fill this one in, I haven't seen any examples of alternate shields in MN yet.
8. Non-Standard effects are generally described at PC-talk at the beginning of the game, but unless its an extreme/significantly damaging effect, I don't see offering special warning on a per-module basis. However fleeing a module is nearly always possible.

* isn't that been the cap for like...ever? Local players aren't higher then that total now? Not trying to be passive aggressive or anything mainly just curious

2. As per Roy "Not soon"
Isn't that bad for business? I guess I just thought by slowly increasing the build cap you would attract out of state players... which gives the chapter more money for better props and site. I understand BP caps for a while until all the local players caught up...but surely by now they are all well over the 105 cap.. which means your really just discouraging out of state players to come to your game..

at that point why even play a national game?

so you build a new character?....guess it seems overly complicated compared to doing a build cut. I'm a earth guy in one game and a celestial guy in another game.

4. Blankets would be applied by your home chapter and should be equal to your actual build (Question is quasi-moot since we cannot accept 'cut-downs'

7. Shields: Mainly referring to Wood, Construction Foam, Corrugated Plastic, Corrugated Foam

==========

Thanks again Lurin I appreciate the response especially how fast they are mate. I look forward to chatting with you in a few weeks at Chicago.

Lurin said:
6. We tend to discourage making weapons light, just for the sake of making them lighter as we feel it promotes charging and unsafe combat. Weapons are rating on adherance to Alliance guidelines, the overall 'shape' of the weapon (ie new, rundown, damaged) and the heft of the weapon. It is not unheard of for weapons to be refused due to insufficent weight. To sum up, if you are using alternative cores, it should be as similar to standard materials as possible for both weight and 'whippy-ness'
Out of curiousity, do you list anticipated weight ranges?

We don't, typically on the few Lightweights we've seen we compare them to a comperable weapon made from 'standard' materials

Actually I can vouch for the fact at least at the February game, (I don't know if there were allot of older players missing from that or something.) that I don't believe there are any players even over level 7 or 8.

From the Dragon's mouth:

Jorundr said:
* isn't that been the cap for like...ever? Local players aren't higher then that total now? Not trying to be passive aggressive or anything mainly just curious

***** Until we have have ample staff and "homegrown" players experienced enough, the cap stands. If you REALLY want to participate in the spirit of OUR game, then I suggest NPCing or creating a secondary PC from scratch.

2. As per Roy "Not soon"
Isn't that bad for business? I guess I just thought by slowly increasing the build cap you would attract out of state players...

****** And run the risk of getting "rolled" on our home turf again? Hell, no thank you. Besides, "business" is okay, and is heading in the right direction.

which gives the chapter more money for better props and site.

**** No, it attracts TANKS in an environment that is usally scaled for 50 - 60 Build characters, and THAT causes members to QUIT, and never come back intothe game, which, to me, is far, far more devastating on many, many different levels.

I understand BP caps for a while until all the local players caught up...but surely by now they are all well over the 105 cap..

**** We have some, yes... but if 10 15+ types show up, and want to go on a "coin run," the locals are basically SOL. That's ALSO that many more PCs added t the mix as opposed to how few NPCs we may have on hand at the time. So unless you're playing at our level or helping out as an NPC, you're really NOT helping by bringing in higher level PCs.

which means your really just discouraging out of state players to come to your game..

***** Only certain ones, the ones who don't seem to still "get it," yes. As I said, join MN, start fresh, have fun. Show up just becasue you want to be a powergamer... naw, stay at home or go elsewhere for that weekend.

at that point why even play a national game?

****** Why should the game always cater to the whims of higher level PCs?

so you build a new character?....guess it seems overly complicated compared to doing a build cut. I'm a earth guy in one game and a celestial guy in another game.

***** No, its not "overcomplicated" at all -- you just start out at 1st level again and work your way up.

And... your comments have been done away with since you don't seem to able to be able to read the threads correctly. For example, if I ask for a "Roll Call" on MINNESOTA players, to find out how many MINNESOTA players I have online, I surely do NOT want to see, "Hey, I play in Chicago."

Dig?

Mystery solved, then.

Dreamingfurther said:
Actually I can vouch for the fact at least at the February game, (I don't know if there were allot of older players missing from that or something.) that I don't believe there are any players even over level 7 or 8.

We had two of the "old gurd" show up in March -- 10th and 13th, respectfully, despite a divorce and a spouse recovering from a stroke. We have a few others, but, unfortunately, all but two are Staff/NPCs, myself included. We've been an isolated chapter for a lonnnnnnng time, and only as of two years ago were we even getting ANY tranfer PCs over from other Chapters, and before that we only had PCs come over from Colorado and Montana.

That alone should tell you something.

I fully intend to see some of our higher level players return to the game in the months to come, some which may be able to allow us to raise the cap ever so slightly.

Until then, though...

Hey, I was up there from Iowa with three other of the players from that group a three years back. :) You've even got pics of us on your site, although I'm pretty sure I'm the ugliest Biata ever to live in that photo. :mrgreen:

From the Dragon's mouth:

perhaps when you thought Jorundr....you were thinking Jörmungandr Loki's middle son.. the Norse Sea Serpent in light of the dragon's mouth comment.

I deleted my response, no good can come of the words I'd type publically I'll drop you a PM

I do assume that if any of us that do call MN our home level up highish (close or just over 10) that we would still get to play those characters right? In any case the only thing I don't like so much with a low level game is not having Life spells, just means you have to play smarter so as not to die. ;)

Jorundr said:
From the Dragon's mouth:

perhaps when you thought Jorundr....you were thinking Jörmungandr Loki's middle son.. the Norse Sea Serpent in light of the dragon's mouth comment.

***** Uh... no, again, it had NOTHING to do with you...

I deleted my response, no good can come of the words I'd type publically I'll drop you a PM

***** Oh, what, you're going to tell me how much more you know of the game and all that? If so, just further proof we don't need you around anyhow.

Dreamingfurther said:
I do assume that if any of us that do call MN our home level up highish (close or just over 10) that we would still get to play those characters right? In any case the only thing I don't like so much with a low level game is not having Life spells, just means you have to play smarter so as not to die. ;)

Exactly. Makes you think a little more about what skills you have, what you don't, and makes you a little more conscious about the life you're currently on if there isn't any "quick fix" available. A little bit of realism, anyone?

The high level spells and skills add a whole new dimension to the game, don't get me wrong. But so does playing the "little guy", especially in a group of equally small "little guys".

Even the hero started out at level one.

jnelson said:
Dreamingfurther said:

Exactly. Makes you think a little more about what skills you have, what you don't, and makes you a little more conscious about the life you're currently on if there isn't any "quick fix" available. A little bit of realism, anyone?

The high level spells and skills add a whole new dimension to the game, don't get me wrong. But so does playing the "little guy", especially in a group of equally small "little guys".

Even the hero started out at level one.

Very true and well stated. =)

Dreamingfurther said:

Rest assured, yes, you may and can.

And we've already got you covered I-G on the Life spell part of it. (The flip side is that you're not going to be facing six Death Knights at time or some such, either.)

Back