Alliance racial requirements and updates

PirateFox

Scholar
Hello, Alliance Denver, from your local racial coordinator!

With our winter break winding down, I wanted to get a few items back at the forefront of our minds before we head into the 2018 mod day and season. Some of these are brought up each year, while some are new items for 2018.

First off, please take a moment to skim over Dani’s amazing post from 2014, linked below. This post does an amazing job of summarizing the requirements and a few key points of most Alliance races. I’ve got some items beneath the link that are new, changed, or need extra-special attention.
https://alliancelarp.com/forum/threads/racial-refresher.28899/

New items for 2018:
  • High orc/ogre ear tips: This isn’t technically new, as it was introduced in 2017, but did you know that in Denver, all NPC high orcs/ogres will have pointed ears? The players have this option, too, and are encouraged to use elven-style pointed ears. This distinguishes high orcs/ogres from non-high. We strongly encourage even traveling players to use this option to be clear in what race they are playing…and so other players don’t think you’re a monster, since somehow in-character we can tell the difference.
  • The high orc race packet is done! If you are creating a high orc character or already have, please contact myself or logistics for a copy of the packet.
  • Dark elf color palette has been updated! See post: https://alliancelarp.com/forum/threads/dark-elf-makeup-requirements.36832/
  • All races now have racial lands within each human territory or barony. This will allow a bit easier method for characters to be created as having come from a place that might otherwise be listed as predominantly controlled by humans. More information on this will come out soon. EDIT: Apparently, this either never happened or never got back to me...we'll just have to ignore the racial territories thing, I guess.
Needing attention:
  • Mystic Wood Elves, it has been brought to plot’s attention (and they brought it to mine) that in some cases, the national racial requirements are not being met. We really don’t want to have to crack down, especially when it comes to roleplay. The following are requirements that may not be waived for any reason or excuse:
    • “…are opposed to slavery and anything that removes free will.” (ARB p45)
    • “Mystic wood elves as a race are required to demonstrate and implement a personal hatred of the use of any artificial means to induce restriction of their freedom or the freedom of others.” (National race packet p4)
    • The only exception to the above in the rules whatsoever is use on oneself, as that is a willing choice. Even then, there is the implication of debate as to whether that it crosses the line into slavery. If someone is using a charm/etc on someone else that is recognizable as a sentient living being, there is no allowance for a MWE to look the other way. Be a good MWE, and smack your slaver friends! :)
  • All races: Please be aware that the national packet always wins when there's a conflict with local culture suggestions, unless stated otherwise. This has come up a few times, where ambiguity has been used to try and bypass game rules using a phrase or implied allowance in the local culture packet.
  • Be mindful that if you are playing a race with “full coverage” requirements, this is always active. There have been no new complaints, so this isn’t scolding anyone, I just want to make sure we start the season on a good footing. If you play a sarr, wylderkin, orc, ogre, dark elf, or stone elf, you are required to keep all real skin covered in some fashion. We’re not policing a skin spot slipping. We’re policing someone with half their face or belly-riff showing, and not covered in makeup. Players have been great about this in 2017, so I expect this will be good again in 2018. Scarves, under armour, and other costuming are your friend!
If you have questions, concerns, need a packet, etc, shoot me a message!

Last edited:
Back