Alt Characters- Orc

Sryah

A couple of friends are working on alternate characters and will be starting orcs we would like to start a team called the Death Bringers and they would all be from the same clan. I was just wondering if anyone else was interested in joining us. We would be coming in game over the next year starting at this year's lowbie, so you would have time to get your stuff together. It wouldn't be a team that dealt with all the politics so much as became a fighting machine, more of a mercenary type set up. Anyone if anyone is interested let me or Tim know.
-Marissa

Many people had talked about a lowbie but i hadn't seen it on the schedule so i thought it might not be scheduled yet. And if there isn't one there should, it was just about the best event i went to in HQ last year. I was just going to start mine then and then tim was gonna come in with his later. But we'll see. Maybe we can still convince people to do a lowbie this year?

If there is one, the level cap should be "Kotuals current level" so he can role with the orcs at their first event ^-^

There is no low level event scheduled for this year. We are already running an 8 event season (9 if you include the kids event).

Last year's low level event was also not well attended, largely due to the fact that there are very few people whose primary characters are under the cap (and apparently people didn't want to make secondaries or tertiaries).

We could raise the cap, but once you raise it much higher than 8 or 9, it's really no longer a lowbie event, which kind of defeats the purpose.

If somebody has an interest in trying their hand at writing a lowbie event I'd be glad to speak with them about adding one next season.

heck 15 is still kinda low in Hq. what about a caped event thats not "lowbe" but kinda lower then ubber maybe 20.

Thread jack ended

Go go Team orc :D

Tim

its ruff being a low level newbie

Cant say that enogh

FW

Frank Wiccan said:
its ruff being a low level newbie

Cant say that enogh

FW

::shaking head:: honestly dude. i mean no offence to you personally, but starting to wonder if you are even having fun playing or what... You post comments like this constantly.

We were all level 1 once. We were all new once. I meet low level people all the time. i meet new people all the time. Do they tell me, "man, this is rough?" No. They say things like, "this is so much fun!" or, "wow that thing scared me / almost killed me / etc." Which is the same things I said when I was new and level 1.

If someone doesn't want to play a lower level character and/or wants to know more about the game, I tell them NPC.

NPCing is great. NPCing is fun. NPCing is free. NPCing is probably the answer to global warming.

As soon as I can find an event I am not going to be so wrapped up in because of my PC, I plan on NPCing. Cause I miss it.

Maybe someone can write some low level modules and encounters? Let the low level players and newbies get more involved?

a thought.

~Erica

AllianceNJ said:
Maybe someone can write some low level modules and encounters? Let the low level players and newbies get more involved?

a thought.

~Erica

Is there a guide to writing stuff like this? I hear about "fishbowls" and other such things, but as someone who knows nothing about how the plot teams and monster desks work, how do you know what you are allowed to write? how do you know what types of monsters should/can go in these? And lastly, is there a format to adhear to when writing and submitting something?

On the alliancelarp website, Mike V has posted some sample modules which ran which were very popular.

I would recommend asking whatever chapter you want to write for, a sample module, and use that as a shell/template.

I wouldnt worry about monster/stats because the monster desk can do that for you, just have a general idea of what type of monster/effect you want.

I find it best to follow the rulebook for effects, especially for low level modules. Too many "special plot effect" things are hard to write for blind, and to get approved.

Even if you dont know how to write a module but submit some story ideas, the local plot committee can help you flesh things out (provided they have the time -- prolly not good to do it during the "nero season in full swing").

Hope this helps
~Erica

Robb,
As far as HQ goes, feel free to PM myself or Michelle; we can set you up and give you the logistics of what to write in.

Usually, you can write the initial piece in whatever format you're comfortable, although there is a format we eventually paste into that makes the piece easier to read for the weekend.

The following is essentially some of HQ's 'setup'. Every Plot team can be different. We break ours down into a couple of different types of writeups.

The Fishbowl: (So named because they used to be picked out of a fishbowl) these are short little vignettes that interact with the PC's. Example, the commoner coming in to sell their wares; the Kobold coming to steal the crown of the Baron *shifty eyes*. Essentially, these are short one shots that are for the PCs to either solve or interact with.

The Encounter: this is a 'more important' fishbowl, and is usually tied to into some sort of plot (be it weekend arc, or longstanding arc). They are something the PCs interact with, but is not quite like a module. Example: The Magistrate comes into town looking for some specific PCs to give them integral information to the weekend plotline.

The Module: These can be one shots, or a bunch can be linked together to form one part of a story arc. They usually involve some sort of "Hook" (Someone or something that gathers 6 players to a location/meeting place/area). The magic number 6 is usually due to that being the default party number, based on APL. A scaled module usually gathers those 6 adventurers' levels, and divides by the amount of people in the party. (Subject to change based on the amount of people in the party) A module is usually a beginning/middle/end story. Example: Little girl comes into town; some goblins stole her dolly. PCs follow her to go to where she last saw the goblins. PCS choose to roleplay with goblins or beat goblins down to return dolly. Treasure is either on the goblins, or potentially if roleplayed little girl gives them something as a thank you.

The Wave: Essentially a combat writeup, with motivation for the NPCs to be there , or for the PCs to do something while fighting. Example: A necromancer unleashes his creatures upon the town. Pillage and kill. etc.

I know this isn't a lot of information (given I'm at work and typing when I shouldn't be..) but I hope this helps to give a little bit of insight into what goes into plot's writeups. This doesn't include writing up longstanding arcs, or what a weekend writeup would entail, but these are the short pieces to what go into a weekend.

-Ali
AHoP

To continue the Thread-Jack:

We DO write lowbie stuff at HQ, as well as most of our modules being scalable to almost any APL. What I have noticed happening over the past season that messes that up:

1. Mixed APLs, either a low-level player going on a mod with a much higher APL group (I have no specific problems with this), or a High level player "babysitting" a lower level group. (This bugs me)

2. Low level groups passing off a lowbie mod hook to a more experienced team. (a big WTF moment for me)

3. The impression that "low level" = "low challenge". We ran a split wave battle at the Troll weekend and a small but vocal minority hated it because it was a tough fight and required them to expend skills/production to survive.

#1 is hard to fix, people want to play with their friends, and having higher level characters take smaller ones under their wing makes the game more fun for everyone and should be encouraged.

#2. Avoidable. Trust your plot comittee, we're not going to throw an unscaled mod at you without warning you first. If an NPC is looking for a non-specific group of adventurers, it's usually safe to assume that it will be statted to your APL.

#3. Discouraging from a plot perspective. As a plot writer my job is to provide challenges for the players to overcome, not to just have NPCs walk up and hand them treasure. Perhaps we should start a survey about what people feel should be the appropriate challenge level for the game. I can throw softball plot if I have to.

-toddo ;)

Toddo... are you implying, in some fashion, that softball is a less hardcore sport than baseball? I'm shocked and appalled, and will be writing customer service to complain about you. Volubly. Every day. On the hour. Every hour.

:twisted:

What about scaling a weekend befor anyone pays. Say its all made for apl 15 then post that it is a alp 15 weekend. Dont tell people what they can or cant play. But then people might bring a Pc close to that level. Or they might npc or whatever. If people bring ubber pc Mcthunderfist then they can get the "high level" mods if they are not getting the good hard fight that they are looking for. And If you want to make it a harder fight for " X " fight then you know to make it apl 18 or 19 (because its a alp 15 weekend ).

People might also stop feeling a need to min max as much if they see that there is a end in sight as far as apl goes. As it is right now its a arms race that some people had a head start on.

Im just trying to get some ideas out there fine tune as needed or file them in the round file.

Tim

Back