Amnesia Silliness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheakhan

Adept
I considered this, and while I can't immediately see the point in doing so, I couldn't find anything suggesting it wasn't possible:

If I feed an Amnesia to a person who has just been resurrected, are they unaware of their having died entirely? If so, does the time they spent as a spirit count in the 60 minute period?

I would say the spirit time counts, but only because it's a much easier thing to track for the player than the last hour their character was alive.

I would have to disagree only because the amnesia is on the body being a greater command. Plus, you do not remember the time as a spirit anyway.

Sure, but it's 60 minutes, not "60 minutes alive." Because, ultimately, it's hard enough to figure out how long an hour ago was when you take it (I rarely look at the time, even when I can), much less when you've been dead for fifteen or so minutes, if not longer.

True enough. Hence the amnesia BEFORE death. I can see that for sake of ease with all of the timed effects we have.

I kinda expect that the question was given in the event an assassination did not go smoothly, and the target died before the Amnesia could be delivered.

That's one option. I hadn't considered the reasons you might want to do this.

So is it pretty clear cut that you can make a person forget resurrecting, and foggy on the matter of spirit time counting?

I considered this, and while I can't immediately see the point in doing so, I couldn't find anything suggesting it wasn't possible:

If I feed an Amnesia to a person who has just been resurrected, are they unaware of their having died entirely? If so, does the time they spent as a spirit count in the 60 minute period?

Hey,

I wanted to contribute to this conversation. The time you spend as a spirit and resurrecting counts as part of the time for purposes of how far amnesia will erase. You have the same mind (and same memories) as you had when you die resurrected unless some other effect tells you so. An amnesia could erase part of a memory before you died.

An case of such an event is if the person suffered a traumatic experience just prior to the resurrection and wanted to forget it. An example of this is being commanded (by any effect that would compel you to do so) to kill your best adventurer friend, and then the thing that compelled you in turn killed you.

I hope this contributes to the conversation,
Michael Duetzmann

So its not 60 minutes of memories, its 60 minutes of time.

Correct. The spirit of the rules tend to interpret any measure of time to be subjective to the game world not your own personal experience. A resurrection story for example can be an expression of untold amounts of time, but the marshal in charge of your resurrection is still the one holding the stop watch.

Hope that helped,
Michael Duetzmann

In general, it works far better to Amnesia someone just before killing them (resurrections take 10 minutes, and you must be dispelled within 10 minutes for the Amnesia to be gotten rid of). If you mess it up and can't Amnesia them, and then run to the Earth circle and hope they res, you will probably be disappointed to find that Spirit viewing that circle as "hostile" and resurrecting someplace where you aren't.

But if they DO happen to resurrect there, you still have to worry about the person performing the resurrection, plus getting into the circle to attack your victim a second time, then you have to get out of the circle. If you're able to do that, you'll likely have to amnesia the person recognizing you in/out, assuming they even let you out (a circle is a great jail).

Even then, you'd still have to worry about them being Dispelled within 10 minutes; characters know they have been Amnesia'd, and I've seen characters ask to be dispelled even after they res, "just in case".

You could have an accomplice, of course, to let you in/out of the circle, or even administer the Amnesia in your absence to an unsuspecting victim, but you should probably trust them. A lot.

Last edited:
True. I see it being more useful for countering trauma than covering up a murder. Though in either case I'd hate to see someone cheese it, or the opportunity pass due to not having someone available to res the target.

I see.

A lot of people don't wait to resurrect to Amnesia a trauma! haha

True, I think it'd be hard to accidentally kill someone, so that'd be the ideal method. ;P

Ever had a rear guard healer throw a death into the backside of your shield?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back