Announcements Season 3, Event 1 - Rebirth

wbush3

Scholar
Opening Announcements for January

• Opening will start at approximately 9pm.
Special Announcements

· Police your bottles/cans/chip bags etc. We got some comments about it ruining the vibe in the tavern.

· Be mindful of fighting in and around doors. Please do not block people from entering or leaving a door, do not swing blindly around corners or doorways

Combat

· Machine gunning: people MUST pull their swings back 45º before attacking again.

· No head shots please: according to the rules people take no damage from a weapon attack to the head, but they do take spell effects (we are sorry).

· Charging. We take charging seriously, but there have been some calls of charging that seemed suspect. If there is imminent physical contact during a fight, this is charging.

There is a natural back and forth that exist in any combat. This is to be expected. Charging is an OOG safety issue, and should not be called because of in-game safety or comfort. If you feel uncomfortable disengage and reset yourself.

· No running on the deck, no jumping off the deck. (YEARS ago we had someone break their clavicle after jumping off the deck)

· Full incant before throwing any kind of packet and before any kind of weapon swing.

· Three calls everyone should be aware of; Altered, Reduced, and Healed.

Altered means that the creature did not suffer the standard effect, but instead is affected differently than expected.. (IE: A bird is hit with Bind, normally this would mean its arms would be held at its sides, but a bird attacks with its beak. It can’t fly away but it can still peck at you. The NPC playing the bird would call altered.)

Reduced means that the effect is lessened, but still taken. This can be due to hardened skin, magical protection, etc.

Healed means that instead of suffering the intended effect, the creature is healed by it instead. (IE: A Flame Elemental is struck with Flame Bolt, but instead of taking damage it heals instead.)

If someone is worried about a PC not following the rules please bring it to a marshal’s attention, please don’t be confrontational and mean with the PC. If someone is worried about an NPC not

following the rules please grab a marshal AND tell one of our NPC guild members and/or our plot team so we can give them more guidance with cards in the future. We have a lot of new NPCs and want to make sure they know how to play their card but sometimes it is a big card and it’s hard to remember.

Wards and Things

· Wards/Blissful rests: The W or B respectively needs to be up before the casting or you just flubbed your spell/ritual and will have to do it again. TENTS are wardable, same rules apply.

Kitchen Stuff

· Sanitizer not a dishwasher, please make sure your dishes are scrubbed and any bits removed before being placed in the sanitizer.

· If there are too many dishes piled up Monster Camp will stop running.

· There is recycle but no compost here, so please no food waste in the Recycle bins.

Logistics

Logistics is open from 5-6 pm on Saturday. If we are late we will run for exactly 1 hour. Last time some people were on mods and such during that time and those people will be accommodated after their mod is over. If you need to change some spell slots just talk to your Marshals and they can sign that.

Lair Cards

• Moving forward, the maximum number of PCs that may go on a Lair Card is 6. If we are experiencing any back up on running Lair Cards, double-hooking is welcome.

Saturday Night

• For the Saturday night part of the event, we would like to ask for 6-8 PCs to double-hook. Anytime after lunch on Saturday, please feel free to come by Monster Camp to inform us if you are interested.

"No head shots please: according to the rules people take no damage from a weapon attack to the head, but they do take spell effects (we are sorry)."

If packet head shots are becoming an issue, couldn't you make a local ruling that they do not count?

· Full incant before throwing any kind of packet and before any kind of weapon swing.
((emphasis mine))

In 5 years of playing Alliance, I have never seen this part actually enforced. I have heard stories of strange chapters far away where this is done correctly, but - at least in the NW - PCs and NPCs alike seem to treat this as a suggestion.

Are we actually making this dramatic change, or just paying lip service?

((emphasis mine))

In 5 years of playing Alliance, I have never seen this part actually enforced. I have heard stories of strange chapters far away where this is done correctly, but - at least in the NW - PCs and NPCs alike seem to treat this as a suggestion.

Are we actually making this dramatic change, or just paying lip service?

This is not a dramatic change, and to my knowledge, this has been enforced at all times a marshal is aware of it occurring.

If you see this occurring, please 1) ask the individual, politely, "Hey friend, remember to call before you connect*/throw/etc," and/or 2) bring this to the attention of a marshal. Sometimes, it's even a marshal who's just caught up in the heat of the moment, and we can be totally reasonable if you call us out. Please call us out, or talk to Jimmy, the Head of Rules for Oregon.

"No head shots please: according to the rules people take no damage from a weapon attack to the head, but they do take spell effects (we are sorry)."

If packet head shots are becoming an issue, couldn't you make a local ruling that they do not count?

Bill would not be able to make that decision, no. I expect that would be a discussion between Jimmy and Rick.

*Edited for accuracy.

Last edited:
To be clear, the verbal should happen before the point of impact. If someone is making weapon calls after they've made impact, you should definitely be bringing it up to a Marshal and let them know. I'll echo Evan - this is something which has been enforced in the past and will continue to be enforced in the future.

You don't need to make your verbal before you start your swing. You *do* need to make your verbal before you make contact. You *can't* make your verbal after you've made contact.

On the encant then throw, I've personally been called on it and have enforced it as a marshal at both Seattle and Oregon.

Bill would not be able to make that decision, no. I expect that would be a discussion between Jimmy and Rick.

*Edited for accuracy.

I'm aware. More a suggestion to staff as a whole, since Bill was speaking on suggestions from the Org on rules, not just plot.

May I also have a request that this be posted at, and pointed out, at logistics since everyone has to go through there, and would reduce the time spent at opening ceremonies?

These announcements will be at logistics and also posted inside each cabin. We've done this the last couple games, and it's sped up opening significantly.

May I also have a request that this be posted at, and pointed out, at logistics since everyone has to go through there, and would reduce the time spent at opening ceremonies?

We have been providing these basic announcements here and in FB, as well as providing printed copies in cabins for the past few events. That is so we can speed up opening, and only make non-standard announcements there, as well as point out pages and marshals. :) I will make sure to have at least one copy at logistics.

Back