Any special products for removing facepaint effectively?

J'rajj

Chicago Staff
As one may see from my profile picture, I play a sarr. After the weekend is up, I wash my face with soap and water. This is fine for everywhere on my face but my eyes. After vigorous scrubbing, well, it looks like I just put eyeliner on. It fades with time, but last time it stuck around for a day and a half.

send help

Have you specifically tried make up remover?

Shampoo has always worked for me. You have to give it a little more attention around the eyes (and be careful not to get it in your eyes) but in my experience it works better than normal soap.

Depending on the makeup, first-step of saturating a papertowel with baby oil and wiping as much off as possible BEFORE soap and water helps a lot. This is an old clown trick for super-set grease paint.

I played a dark elf for a few years, and a few other full make-up races that were challenging here and there. I've tried a lot of products. My advice is this:
  • Before you apply your makeup, put on face lotion. Helps to take the make-up off at the end, and keeps your face from drying out. There are many options, but I use L'Oreal Future-e; it's light weight, not heavy feeling or greasy, SPF 15, and it smells nice. :)
    https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_6yimww6yua_b
  • Makeup removal round 1: Ponds Cold Cream and paper towels (not tissue: too flimsy! Not washcloth: too messy). That stuff was made for 1960s housewives to take off their thick layers of crazy 1960s housewife makeup -- sworn by dark elves and drag queens throughout the world. This stuff is powerful! Total mess while taking off -- Just use paper towels and get most off.
  • Makeup removal round 2: Johnson & Johnson's No More Tears baby shampoo. Safe for your eyes, gentle on your skin, cleans wonderfully, available in every major grocery store and big box drug store.
    https://www.amazon.com/Johnsons-Bab...47&sr=1-4&keywords=no+more+tears+baby+shampoo
  • Once your face is all nice and clean, reapply the nice face lotion to keep your face from drying out or freaking out.
Best of luck!

Trace Moriarty

Around the eyes, specifically? Makeup Remover and cotton balls. But apparently people love other people in eyeliner that on-point, so maybe keep it a day or two.

But, as others have said...

1. Yeah, moisturize your face before application, regardless of makeup type being applied. Except if its grease makeup. Skip the moisturizer and the grease makeup all together (Kidding, kidding).
2. Face washes and/or shampoo in general will do most of the work for all but the most stubborn of makeup (Often stuff like alcohol-based makeups).
3. Interestingly enough -- those Stridex/Clearasil facepads you probably used as a teenager cut through practically everything. Probably because they're made to destroy anything on your face, no matter the cost. Do not get this in your eyes.
4. Attend to specific spots with makeup remover specific to the type of makeup involved -- anything other than alcohol can use regular makeup remover, just about any brand.
5. Really, moisturize afterwards. You're best off doing a full face-routine (Cleanser -> Toner -> Exfoliant -> Moisturizer -> Antioxidant) before and afterwards, but moisturize at the barest minimum.

Thank you all I will try this next time. I only use Wolfe face paint, I don't know if that would change any of your advice.

When I did Clowning MANY years ago we had a trick of layering our makeup so it set well, but was easy to take off- and you can sweat through it easily enough. (our white makeup was mehron grease paint.)

1. before ANYTHING ELSE put a thin layer of Ponds cold cream on first (so it will be UNDER the white makeup) this acts as a barrier but doesn't make the makeup slip slide off your face- just make sure the layer is thin-ish.
2. THEN apply the white greasepaint as you normally would
3. we used baby powder- the pure cornstarch kind- to set the makeup (I used a old sock full of the powder and tapped it all over my face then had a friend blow the excess off- you can also brush the excess off with a fluffy powder brush
4. then is was at this point we'd add our clowning markings: red cheeks and designs and such- so this would be the point you'd make your black Sarr Markings. (We never set the designs we drew with powder- usually they stood up too a whole day of clowning in 80 degree summer humidity- and I used a lot of black on my clown face and it stood up fine.)
5. when you are ready to take the makeup off- first wipe as much as you can off with a paper towel with nothing on it (We used the kinda plush "Viva" brand it's not rough on your skin. A good bit of the paint should come off because of the ponds cream you put on before anything else- then when you've done this, lather your face in ponds let it sit a few minutes and keep wiping until your clean- and finish off with either a REAL face wash and skin routine- or if you're a long way from a sink- BABY WIPES.

As for the black Racoon eyes you have after cleaning your face- I'd use a q-tip dipped in virgin olive oil- it works on most makeup- you might have to leave it for a few minutes for the oil to break down the makeup but it should work. (Goth friend of mine who wears HEAVY black eye makeup swears by this. )

Good luck!

Back