Anyone know how to use phpBB?

Every once in a while, some spambot will register a fake member who will post some spam and then I have to go and ban the member by the IP address.

Lately I have found a number of spam members registered all from the same IP address, which is from the Virgin Islands. You can tell because they all have names like "fruakleuz" or something, just random letters. Anyway, you'd think that when I say "ban by IP" it would delete ALL members from that IP address but it's not doing so.

Anyone have any experience in these kinds of Bulletin Boards to know if that is possible? Or do I have to do each separate one by hand? I must have deleted 20 already today.

There are some phpbb mods that make deleting users much simpler. However I'm still getting used to the 3.x series of phpbb so all I can tell you is that I used to use the admin userlist mod with the old phpbb.

I admin my bands pbpbb3 but so far we have not had any spammers so i haven't had to do anything like that. are you running the absolute latest version(3.0.4) ? how do you have user registration set up? how powerful is your visual GD CAPTCHA?

Robb Graves said:
I admin my bands pbpbb3 but so far we have not had any spammers so i haven't had to do anything like that. are you running the absolute latest version(3.0.4) ? how do you have user registration set up? how powerful is your visual GD CAPTCHA?

No idea.

I could change the user set up so the password has to be more complicated, I do know how to do that. Will that help?

Fearless Leader said:
I could change the user set up so the password has to be more complicated, I do know how to do that. Will that help?

No. To a computer, the password can be arbitrarily complicated. The usual protection from spammers is the CAPTCHA.

Isn't there a phpBB mod that asks a list of questions that you can configure yourself? I've been on some boards that use that one or a much newer mod which displays some graphics and then asks you questions about them or asks you to annotate them.

Apparently these two methods seem to mess up the script Kiddies a little better than the compromised CAPTCHA systems that are out there right now.

I would do both - make it harder for spammers to sign up and find an admin user list mod that allows you delete spammers and all their posts pretty easily.

I'll have Rob give me some pointers when he comes by this weekend... The idea of having to identify words and letters and so on before signing on seems good to me; I just don't see where I can do that on this board.

It's cool. I'll take a look this weekend like you said and we'll see what we can do to help with the spam issue. :geek:

that and the email verification thing. as soon as i added that we stopped seeing like 90% of the spam come through

Back