April Event Favorite Moments/Raves

jpariury

Duke
It'd been a while since I'd been able to make it out to a game, and I usually spend most of my time in the kitchen, so, to be honest, I wasn't certain that I'd know what to do with myself with all that spare time to actually run around. Luckily, the awesome plot team that set everything into motion back at the end of 2011 did so many things right in closing the book that I got to jump right in headfirst with both feet forward!

A few favorite moments:
  • Throwing cards with Mordecai, Maven and Meryl.
  • Knocking out the feather-head Corrupt guy. There's nothing quite so satisfying a good, solid "Clunk".
  • Running around with Teth, Lone and Zeth to jump into holes, and knowing whatever we encountered was either going to be too powerful or too weak for half of us.
  • Running, sliding, diving for the Farseer's things and left bleeding behind enemy lines, only to have Thousand Bones and then Polare run to my rescue.
  • Getting Shatter Spirited trying to protect Takara while she was pinned.
  • Pointing out the folly of auction systems.
  • And as always, meeting new peeps, reconnecting with old ones, and just generally having fun.

Thank you to the PCs for always being entertaining, thank you to the NPCs for all of the hard work, long hours, and emotional dedication, and thank you to Plot for always trying new things, always striving for excellence, and always coming up with creative methods of keeping all of us nerds, young and old, amused and invested.

I had a blast. Seriously. This was the best LARPing event I have ever been to in my entire 14 years experience.

1) Bones learning that those people with leaves and twigs and bark skin are actually the fabled Dryads! "Please forgive me, oh powerful Verdant Lords, for the troubles I have caused you in the past! Please don't turn me into a toad!"
2) Bones' first death. Afterwards, in which he comes running up to Polare who promptly sleeps the Orc. Oh... and then waking up to people saying "Yeah Bones... you got so upset that you nearly killed Polare in your rage!" Thus only fueling Bones' ignorance of how powerful of a fighter he actually isn't.
3) Being known as "Lich Slayer"
4) Executing the Skree mother, only to be known as "Executioner of the Heart Drinker"
5) Watching and helping the newbies learn how to fight. Something about an Orc teaching people is just... fun.
6) Seeing all my old friends and new friends.

There are so many other things that I loved but I am at work and just can't type them all down. I will later though. For sure.

Paul

1. The Life Elemental fight, seeing Seth as Alavatar’s wine, seeing Maven try to stop the broom, the random flying objects and being the tapestry that engulfed people.
2. All the interactions between Adele and Zeth, finally learning Earth magic, being charged learning more and with teaching others to help protect the Valley from chaotic temptation.
3. Getting to fight alongside the PCs as Amanita, this became even more meaningful with Cael’s death.
4. Watching Polare’s lap dance as Amanita, and explaining things to Ryabel.
5. Learning about lap dances from Zeth as Adele, hearing Norton threaten to buy him one.
6. Late night talk with Ryabel as Amanita.
7. Getting to be “mama” to Amy as “baby” one last time, as lizards, and getting to LIVE! Thanks to Teth, Lone and Rollo for the relocation to New Rotenzia.
8. Seeing the Phoenix.
9. The last conversation Adele had with Taloryn, saying how in the end she was so grateful that they had come.
10. Amanita learning first aid from Shin with the help of Marsh, I laughed so hard it hurt.

I really can't remember half the weekend, I am that tired and didn't sleep last night...so here we go.

Oakpalm Cabin...looking like a BOSS!

Dreams and writing...Snows was confused and thinks his ancestors must have been in this other nation. He can't write.

Lord of Echos...is 6 months the longest know Slo-bliterate ever? It was such a boss fight.

Roleplay with all of the Oakpalm, Ravis, Ryabelle, and Sprig...

Phoenix fight...so much chaos, so much puzzled looks on Snows face (Regen, Preserve, and Shatter Spirit...wha?). Then running around with no weapons: out of bolts, weapons missing, and literally playing hide and seek for a bit while trying to find gear. Finally sliding down into the caves and hearing Cael is resurrecting. And just turning into the packet gatherer for mages and archers...

Cael and Shelk...hit me harder than I expected.

1) Zeth stepping in to do rituals for the community in an attempt to fill some extremely big boots. Also, getting the opportunity to put Zeth's own spin on ritual magic.
2) RP'ing the first Obliterate in Zodiac cabin. With Slice in the circle. Yeah, no pressure there. Glad Avaran didn't have to follow through on that promise! ;)
3) Running around with Teth, Lone, and Rollo. Jumping into various steam vents and saving some lizards. Well...Teth saved the lizards with some money, but hey, whatever!
4) Adele. It's been a long time, and I was so glad to get the kind of closure I wanted with her. That meant a bunch to me, and Zeth really, really needed the morale boost of "Yeah, all this crap did, in fact, have a purpose."
5) Ah, Melvyn...buddy, you don't even know what kind of a friend you made.
6) Getting the new character Seek (Sarr guy) to hang with myself, Mordecai, Taloryn, Sage, and Apsilon during cards. He seems like a good guy to bring out of his shell, and I look forward to seeing where he goes.
7) Kasuni looking out for Zeth during a difficult moment.
8 ) Kiarra being Kiarra, always showing that one can be compassionate without ever being weak. Always Zeth's rock.
9) Shelk's gift to Zeth. Permanent addition to costuming. Red-handed indeed.
10) Zeth's new "nickname."
11) The second Oblit ritual. Thanks, Matt, for trying to create a "tempting force." I enjoyed that feeling that there was an opposing will, and thanks, Ron, for playing the awesome Chieftan you did.
12) Getting to actually know Zodiac more. Knowing what this will likely mean for current friendships, both good and otherwise. Oh character growth...you won't fail to surprise me.
13) Yeah. Lucky #13 was the forever traumatizing Polare. I don't think more words ever need to be said. Ever.
Edit: #14 Candyman Jimmy as the Order Elemental. Oh god.

All in all, Top event of the Year for me! I think this is going to be a hugely difficult event to beat. It stands easily in the top 10 of LARP events across the last 14 ish years!
As I said before, This production team has set an incredibly high standard for costuming, props, story telling and continuity. Equal to that of any LARP anywhere in the world. Not only did they meet the bar, they raised it several times. Your dedication to excellence paid off with a genuine story that was both compelling and involving. Thank you again for all the memories.

To this event:
1) No place like home. I always love hanging with the Fam and all the shenanigans it involves.
2) Oblitting Gary in our cabin. Keeping Gary unconscious for nearly 2 hours, 30 of which were in a Blit Rit. Was uber paranoid the entire time, Thanks Matt - turns out all you need to do to keep us entertained is take a nap.
3) Cards again Tarndale. Oh. My. Spirits. I have never nearly peed myself laughing, so much. I loved Kasuni's caveat before we began playing.
4) Conversations with Rollo
5) Kicking in the Door to the Corrupt. Fights in the Closet
6) Running to Avaran's rescue. Naked.
6b) Chasing Jimmy through the bramble. Naked.
7) Shin actually using deception.
8 ) Spell Parrying way the hell too Many Shatter Spirits. Was fun to fold time and space to get next to people before Ron ate them
9) Cinematic Deaths are always the best. Followed by Unguided Rezzes. Followed by guiding Resurrections. Was getting way too crowded in that circle.
10) Howls by the pale moon light
11) Squirely duties
12) Vanyil getting Knighted was perhaps the coolest thing. Ever. The conversation was really just heart lifting; it's never big accolades or acknowledgements that matter really, but the small reminders that carry the largest weight to me. They move mountains.
13) The Sumnus Contingency. That interaction on Friday makes it even BETTER, Nate. I freaking love that stuff. The foreshadowing and teasing is killing me even now. Can't wait for more.
14) The transitions to the next game felt fluid and not at all forced. I really loved it and I am excited about it. Prophecy spins my wheels.
15) Knife throwing/catching with Slice. Nothing shows you care like the abuse we give to each-other.
16) Shin flipping out a bit at the Baby being born. The following conversations.
17) Teaching Aminita to embrace Dryad stereotypes.
18) Toland and Myrel walking in on a Lap dance; their facial expressions as they slowly backed out of the Tavern. Flawless.
19) Damn it Slice! Why do you have to be right!? Epic, but, Feth. Sometimes it sucks to be right.

There is so much more, but you get the idea. It was all great.

-Isaac

Amazing event! Some amazing memories were made, *** was kicked (mostly my own), and we finally got to see what the puzzle looked like with most of the pieces in it. I had a blast. Thank you so very much to the plot team and the NPCs for creating such an involved and engaging story.

On to a few favorites:
- What most of you do not know is approximately two weeks before this event I had a dream. I do not really recall what the dream was about, but I awoke from it with an epiphany and secondarily sent the following text to Amanda, Greg and Matt. "I think I know what the big bad guy is....think about it: Fiery death + guardian protector + Matt's love for birds = Phoenix." Matt was so sneaky in his response back I figured I had to be wrong OOG.
- Friday night tumble with the Corrupt for the dagger which led to kidnapping Gary and changing the Corrupt back into Nahui. Started things off with quit the bang.
- The stealth attack by the Nahui Saturday night....sleepy Avaran, naked Shin, shoeless Vanyel, Krieger with only a knife, me with only 1 packet....oh yeah we were ready for some *** kicking. Yay for reinforcements!
- Cards against Tarndale....how does Slice maintain her relationship? Apparently..."fear itself"
- The roleplay surrounding Slice's attempt to obtain a new member of Zodiac.
- Wandering around in Mortaki's hat doing a terrible impersonation of him while hallucinated in a krytid cave.
- Zeth's lap dance.....I almost fell out of my chair laughing.
- The addition of mint ice cream and throwing knives to the Sunday night Zodiac party.
- The Phoenix physrep was amazing!! Next time though he should leave his friends at home.
- Ninja Vanyel to the rescue during the Phoenix fight. 20 seconds from resurrection. Holly did not even see where the Life came from.
- Squire talk on Sunday night. The look on Takara's face. Knighting Vanyel.
- The scholars "thank you" Sunday night...afterward Slice turning to Kasuni "I hope you were paying attention, because we just got pranked."

I don't even know where to begin. This event was, hands-down, the best event I have ever been to so far in my short LARPing career.

1. Of course, everything surrounding Cael's death. While I am very sad to see him go this early (I was just getting started!), I am touched in a way that is hard to describe at the amount of RP that this has generated. People are coming to me letting me know what their plans are surrounding his death and I've heard some other rumors about how some of this stuff might play out for everyone involved. I just started LARPing, made a character and ran with him but it's incredible to me that I seem to have touched so many people. I didn't even know what he meant to me until I pulled that black bead and I didn't realize what he meant to others as well.
- The amazing thing that Plot tried to do by giving Cael the race change. Seriously you guys have no idea how much that means to me. Thank you.
- Shelk's wailing when realizing Cael was dead.
- Zeth being a complete emotional blockhead and nearly getting his *** kicked by Takara and Snows.
- Being laid in the grass under the trees.
- Landon, Shelk and Snows reading Cael's letters out loud, which I was not expecting them to do.
- Everyone coming in an mourning.
- Watching Landon reach down, grab his testicles and decide he's going to drive the Order of Oakpalm from now on. Moving, to be quite honest.
- Takara giving Cael her scarf. Ug, the feelz.
- Hearing the Order come up with a plan on what to do with Cael's body.
- Just generally being a terrible dead body. Corpses don't usually cry, but I sure as hell was.
- Everyone being so amazingly supportive OOG as I was walking around in a daze. I didn't realize how much Cael meant to me until he perm'd.
- Really, going out fighting a Phoenix while trying to save an entire Valley is not a bad way to go.
2. All of the fights. Holy **** all of the fights. So good.
3. Taking down Candleeyes with a group of ragtag people who Cael had to rally.
4. Getting in on the action for once against the Lord of Echoes. **** that guy.
5. The Phoenix psyrep, Matt. That thing was just epic.
6. Being chosen to get the Fire Immunity boon.
7. Running around after Corrupt in the dark wearing just my PJs.
8. Mic-dropping a Cause Serious Damage gas into Heartdrinker's womb and then doing the Cool-Guys-Don't-Look-At-Explosions walk afterward. That was not planned at all but is hilarious is retrospect.
9. Skree. I loved hating the Skree and I'm going to be sad to see them go. They were always comical.
10. Rook coming up to Cael completely sure that Cael wanted Kasuni dead. Then trying to maneuver Rook around to leave her alone while dangling the location of Heartdrinker's camp as bait. My only regret about all of that is the only person I told in-game that any of this happened was Killian. Getting my cloak-and-dagger feet wet was interesting.
11. All of the interactions that Cael had with the new players like Kade and Draum. I love new faces.
12. The Floor-Is-Lava situation. What a total pain in the *** that was. An awesome pain in the ***, but still a pain. Had to go back in there three damn times. Worth it.

I'm sure there are others, but I'm still processing all of these days later. Thank you to everyone who was there, thank you to the NPCs and thank you to Plot for making this event so incredible and making Cael's death impactful and meaningful.

Everything about this event was amazing, it's hard to pick out what was the best.

1. Burying Heartdrinker. Thank you to all the skree that we killed and thanks to Heartdrinker and her henchman for letting me mourn them. In a strange way, it's what needed to happen. Never thought I would have feelings about the skree, but there you go.

2. Absolin and I getting rolled by the nahui at 3:00 in the morning. Was really not expecting it, and it took the lack of fear right out of me. All the moments with Absolin were amazing, and I'm sure I'm spelling his name wrong, but seriously, amazing.

3. All of the time spent with Polare. It was hard to see him lose his wife but all the rp with him was amazing.

4. Hiding in the Celestial circle with Kasuni and having the "what if things go really bad" talk.

5. SHEEP TREE. The bloody sheep tree.

6. Talking with Shin about the dragon from the Golden Horn and Commander Black. It was really moving to see a side of Shin that Shelk didn't know existed and to actually help him with something. It was a truly touching experience.

7. Everything with Dra'zen was amazing. Rob, your character made lasting impressions. Screaming in the forest, sitting in the dark and watching the shadows, and walking him out of game were all moving and trans-formative experiences. Thanks for sharing them with me.

8. Rez'ing a dwarf that did not like my character and meeting shelk's sister. really emotional and really amazing.

9. Beating things to death with a rolling pin, which wound up breaking. That undead fight was amazing on both ends, and the gypsy curse that saved Snows from becoming a greater undead was significantly badass.

10. Waking up to hear the nahui attack with Killian and Cael.

11. Cael's death. Thank you to everyone who let Shelk mourn and offered her kind words. Thank you to everyone who gave her privacy, respect, and support. It hurt at the time and still hurts now to think that Oakpalm will be without something that defined them so clearly, but I know it'll be an epic, epic story. I know I'm forgetting a lot, but that's how it goes. You all are awesome, and it's a pleasure playing with you.

1. Everything Zeth. Zeth the Obliterator, Zeth the Polearm Weilder (via Polare), and Zeth the angry raccoon-kin.

2. Card's for Tarndale w/ Zodiac & Co. Slice drawing the question card, "How do I maintain my relationship status?" Being hesitant to admit winning with "Fear itself".

3. Getting pranked by The Scholar after trying to learn to prank all weekend. Pulling really underwhelming pranks all weekend [unarmed traps in your bed!] and having ideas for far-too-over-the-top pranks. [Step 1) Destroy Magic. Step 2) Cast a new Ward. Step 3) Steal wine rack. Step 4) Balloons???]

4. A great conversation with Krieger pre-mediation with Heart & Tolund. Slice & Krieger are playing a surprising role in Kasuni's character development.

5. Running out of the cabin at 4am for the Nahui attack. Running into Shelk behind Zodiac, and then naked-Shin. Not being sure if it was a dream or not.

6. Having Polare back!! Getting to catch up over drinks.

7. Fighting the Phoenix. Learning how to cast spells up into the air!

8. Momentum. Getting chased down the hill by the Heart of the Mountain. Brian, you're crazy-fast in that suit!

9. Narrowly avoiding a Shatter Spirit. I was about to sit up and walk to the circle. Rad last-second save by Tantarus, the pro battle-buddy!

Back