Armor weight issue.

ALWEASEL

Artisan
Hi all.
I have a question.
I am really short and have some medical issues that don't let me wear any armor heavier than studded cloth. I tried to wear chainmail but after an hour i was to exhausted to do anything.
I have really just played casters or adepts. Now im a templar. this year i had Magic Armor which has really saved me. I had more energy and fun than i have in a long time. But its time has run out.
Plus i would like to look more in character, Any ideas on what i can do?
I would really like to look like a more armored character but can't.
But i need something that is very light.
Alan

There are people who have what is called "shark chain". It is very fine mesh so it is very light. People wear that as their primary armor a lot in the PNW. I don't know the cost of it though. I hope that helps.

There are people who have what is called "shark chain". It is very fine mesh so it is very light. People wear that as their primary armor a lot in the PNW. I don't know the cost of it though. I hope that helps.
I have a set which I bought from ringmesh.com. It is expensive, but it is also stainless steel and very light (compared to real chainmail, anyway). In the 2.0 ruleset as currently written you will get 3 points per location, too. Plus one for it being real armor, of course.

If you absolutely cannot wear real armor, even the ringmesh stuff, Arcane Armor is always an option. I highly recommend getting yourself a set.

^ ringmesh.com
lots of players in denver swear by it

I have a set which I bought from ringmesh.com. It is expensive, but it is also stainless steel and very light (compared to real chainmail, anyway).

The rings are also welded so the mesh will last longer than your typical butted ring chain mail. I have had my ringmesh shirt for nearly 8 years now with no degradation. Fantastic stuff.

Other than that, take a look at the rules currently being playtested for 2.0. They expand the available armor materials significantly. No word on if/when those go live for play, though.

At present, it is sadly honestly going to likely be much, much more cost effective to donate to your chapter enough to get an LCO set of Arcane with GS than to buy a decent lightweight armor rep.

Last edited:
IMO, to best look 'In Character' tends to help by wearing layers. It may take time to find the right combination, but I wear a very basic linen shirt, an over shirt or armor, then a 2nd layer (typically more armor), then add 2-3 belts, some pouches and bags, and a couple jewelry pieces.

Another, maybe less obvious partial solution... don't wear your armor constantly! A lot of times you know when you are going into battle, and it's important to suit up. And the rest of the time... you wear less armor, or no armor. You don't need armor when you're having your morning coffee, or eating, or doing dishes. And if something unexpected happens and you get caught off guard a bit without your full kit on... that's exciting!

I have a sleeveless chain shirt that I wear when I'm expecting combat, but most of the time it rests in a pile on the floor. Because the floor doesn't get tired. But I do.

Plus, sometimes you have other bits of costume that you might want to show off, and armor can cover that great additional detail up.

Back