Ascension of the Southwest Spire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobeus

Artisan
Never failing in his haste, Mobeus moves as quickly as he can to the chambers spoken of to him by the Archmage, passing by several other Mage's whose haste doesn't seem to be up to par for the tasks at hand. Mobeus grips his Writ with a firm grasp assuring himself under his breath of the importance of what he must do. Arriving at a set of stairs he looks up, and stops himself for a moment to sigh. That brief reprieve was all he could afford, as he ascended the many many many many (did I mention many?) steps towards these chambers within the Southwest Spire.

"10,782, 10,783, 10,784...." Mobeus states, panting slightly, as he goes up the steps, "Clearly counting the steps makes the effort of going up so much easier..." just as he comments to himself he is face to face with an oaken door. "Thank goodness, my legs were becoming jelly, but where the body may fail, the spirit must rise up to meet the needs of others." Placing his hand on the door and breathing deeply to gain his composure, Mobeus straightens himself up, brushes some wrinkles out of his clothing, and formally knocks on the large door.

The door swings open to reveal a massive room. At nearly 100 feet in diameter, the sheer size of this room is made that much more impressive as it rises up 6 stories. Each story is ringed with shelves, books, and scroll racks! Each floor has a central platform where tables, lamps and more press for space. The bedlam in the room nearly knocks Mobeus from his feet. Acolytes, Lore Seekers and Lore Masters are rushing about every floor, climbing ladders, carrying armloads of tubes and books. Piles upon piles of books litter every available table.

From the corner of the main floor the rukus is being directed by the most suprsing of Lore Teachers, a Goblin! Green skin with a tuft of blonde hair pulled up into a semi top-knot and dressed in robes of Red and gold, wearing a monocal and peering over a large tome infront of him, he looks up, calls for an Acolyte to check the 6th story for a scroll. He then turns to Mobeus and in that squeaky voice of goblinkin he asks "What? Wer vary buzy 'ere."

Mobeus is staggered for a moment, and hands the goblin the writ, "I am Mobeus, Adeptus Major, sent here by the will of the Archmage... in here is the writ explaining the circumstances." he swallows deeply for a second flashes of rage in his eyes briefly, "Tell me what is going on here... and we will make whatever the Archmage and Sanctum is looking for a reality in the quickest time possible..."

Tearing his eyes away from the strange goblin Lore Teacher, Mobeus sighs and takes a look around the chambers in awe for a moment. Taking in the smell of old books and the rushing of students. His eyes are drawn to the sheer immense volume of knowledge in the area, his tension becomes lessened and he even tears just a little at the beauty around him.

"Well, I 'ope u 'ave a good eye and strong legs! de Achmaj axe us to find all de maps that 'ave referances to portals on 'em. As you can see, there are one or two, 'undred that fit the bill!" He says with a sweeping motion of his hand to the entire room and then the floors above. "Plus, de maps are all written in short 'and, different languages and some even in code! So now we are pulling maps, then 'aving to pull the tomes that can 'elp dezcifer dem." The goblin looks over to Mobeus with a smirk "I guess it iz now your job! It should only take a few months to compile all the relevant information. Do remember, 'zey can only move so fast and read so fast." Ixit says as he points to a cluster of Acolytes and Lore Seekers. "As long az you keep de Archmaj 'appy you should do well Adeptus Majur. I 'ave a 'unch dat der are some good maps up on Six, so if you will let me get to the 'unting!"

With a short bow, Ixit waits to be allowed to start his map search way up on the sixth floor.

Mobeus nods his head, "Of course of course..." He then turns his attentions to the crowd of ranked Arcane Sanctum members, "To all those who are working diligently on the search for references to Portals... I am Mobeus, the Adeptus Major, and I want to thank you for your effort, and will ensure that your needs are met while under the service of the Arch Mage. You all know what we are here for... and we all know what could befall us should we fail in our task..." he grimaces slightly, "So we need to extra diligent in making sure this happens, so carry on with all due haste, I will be monitoring your performances, and assist you as needed... carry on."

After his short introduction, he rolls up his sleeves and starts to go at the books himself... Arcane Lore research had never been so useful as it would be now... let us hope all his training pays off...

Ixit comes running down the steps, taking them two at a time, nearly tripping at one point. "Majur! Majur! I 'ave found something incredible! I think it 'as some important information. I think this 'as one of the Portals to the Fey 'iding 'oles."

He hands Mobeus a scroll with a detailed map. There are many markings on it, a language that looks familiar, yet not. There are many symbols on it as well, notably a Fey on the bottom section of the map.

(Map will be handed out at tavern.)

Upon returning to the Southwest Spire, Mobeus presents both maps for further study by the Tower Mages. Unfurling them he speaks loudly that all in the area may hear his words and understand his message.

"There have been two maps discovered which may aid us, It is clear one is written in Elemental Script and one in Ancient Gypsy, the sooner we can find out more information the sooner we can find the King. I am relying on all of you to work hard to find out what is needed. There is so much to do and so little time." He reaches into his bag and places his hand on the symbol of the King, on a purple sash. "I have some additional research to do as well. I will return in increments to ensure everything is being handled with the haste required.... A point of note, no one leaves with these Maps, save under order of the Archmage... this information is paramount. Thank you for your efforts..."

Mobeus waits for a moment, scanning the room for any who may have questions or concerns, or new information. "Please speak up if there is anything required before I continue on my research..."

Ixit steps forward "Majur, I 'ave many yers of writing up maps. My skillz are vary well known in de Sanctum. Iz there anyting you need to 'ave specifically looked at?"

"I'd like to know if these maps are related, if they correspond to places in modern days, or if the writing and map are separated completely." he sighs a little bit, "When we return to Parson's Breach, we need to be able to stake out these locations and effectively use them to hopefully find our King."

He points out on both maps the Faerie with a Fountain, "These two symbols might be the same place, but the landscape seems different, the ages of the map could explain this, one could be much older then the other, and either way.. we need to find these locations in today's time. With your years of experience, I expect this to be no issue for you..."

Placing his hand in his bad he mentions, "Translating the locations might be useful too, anyone of the crew knowing Elemental Script or Ancient Gypsy would be most beneficial.. if we lack the resources to do this, I need to know, we cannot fail at this task, and I can always seek other experts to help us..."

Ixit puts his monocle on and begins to study both maps intently. He touches them, sniffs them and then even licks a tiny corner of both. "Vary strang indeed. I tink de are both de same ag'. Or vary close. Now I red a bit of elemental, but not de gypsy. I'll ask around de 'all and see if any student or master may. It is vary starng that 'ere (he points to the top of the Elemental map) says "to de Breach". That ink looks vary new for such an old map."

"With your leave Majur." Ixit states, bows and heads away, knowing that waiting for Mobeus to let him leave sometimes takes a while.

He scribbles some notes as he leaves and then heads up to the 3rd floor where the books on languages are. A few of the Initiates start scrambling on the 3rd and 4th floors, now looking for tomes on dead languages.

Exhaling deeply, he nods his head, "Yes, to the breach, an area that is far more recent.. but... in all seriousness, who would have access to these maps to edit them in this way... such an old map with new ink.. that concerns me, but it does help us..."

Mobeus nods his head, "You have my leave... I am curious to see what you discover... If you can find the student or mage who may have added the 'To the breach' I would be curious to see if they have a stronger grasp of this area... but I won't hold my breath, do carry on."

a small explosion and the whafting of smoke billows from the 3rd floor. "aw crap!" can be heard in that weird goblin dialect. Looking up Mobeus sees several Lore Seekers and Initiates scrambling to open windows and get the smoke cleared from the room. Ixit wobbles down the stairs through the cloud, noticable charring upon his clothes and soot in his blonde topknot and approaches the Adeptus Major.

"Majur, I 'ave tested de maps and 'ave found out 'ow dey can 'ave been updates wit' de words. Fey Majics. De appear to 'ave been drawn on some weird fey parchment. Looks like de inks just wrote onto de maps when we were looking at dem. It would be interesting to test out da t'eary but I don't t'ink de ArchMaj is interested in building a new town near where dis map is supposed to be to find out. But it gives us some 'ope that t'is 'olds some key to unlocking the King's whereabouts no?"

"If you will 'scuse me I will 'ead back upstairs and keep trying to decipher de gypsy tounge"

Ixit scurries back up to the third floor, waves around some papers to help the air clear up and then gets back to his language texts.

a page comes scurrying into the Spire. "Adeptus Major!" he states then is pointed in the direction of Mobeus. He dashes over to him, nearly out of breath and states "The ArchMage demands your presence in his chambers. Now!" the page stands there, still catching his breath from the sprinting down the central spire.

Mobeus continues to pour over books, researching to an absurd ammount, there are plates of food strewn near him with rotten food. In frustration he closes a book with great ammount of force and leans back in his chair, "This doesn't answer the questions, this doesn't at all answer anything... The power of this library and my human frailty to discover the Golden Needle hidden in a thousand piles of straw strewn over several continents..."

He rubs his eyes a bit and looks to the food, "When was the last time I ate..." he sniffs the air and sighs, "Or took a bath..." he pulls himself uneasily off his chair, notiably weakened from his malnuriousment. Knowing Ixit is somewhere in the area he shouts out, "Ixit, I am going to take a short reprieve to collect my head, get some food and wash up... much to the others benefit... Please ensure they work as diligent as they have been under my council, and have a page clear up this area so I can have a fresh area when I return."

Mobeus doesn't bother to note if anyone heard him, nor does he even look to anything but the door to the stairs, upon opening the door he peers down the stairs, "Best to get started..."

After Mobeus has had some sleep, and a sorely needed bath he opens the door to his chamber to see the now too familiar face of Ixit, a smile beaming across his face, like a child opening a present on his birthday. "Mahjur! I 'ave exziting newz! I t'ink you need to see tiss right away!" Ixit unfurls some of the maps that have been collected. "I tink dat de key is not just one key, or at least one parts. I tink de key is broken up. It waz making me crazy tinking why deez four maps were de ones we 'ad to concentrat on. Why would we need four keys to for portals. It's like looking troo a 'aystack for a pin. I tink it's easier dan we tought..." He waits for Mobeus to let the information sink in a bit then continues. "and dat magnet ting the eart'ers are looking for. Maybe it's in the same shape as de key? All broken up and such? 'opefully someone has a picture of it or such. 'ard to put da piezes to a puzzle togetter wit'out de picture!"

Ixit beams with pride at his findings. Suddenly his face goes limp and his eyes bulge even more than normal as it seems he just remembered something more important. "Oh my! Majur, I almost forgot. de' ArcMaj needs you upstairs immediatley!" sheepishly, like a ballon deflating, Ixit points to the central spire.

Mobeus rubs the sleep out of his eyes and nods his head, "You did good..." he turns to grab his gear and puts on his robes and gets his staff. Placing his Fur cloak gingerly over his shoulders, "You could very well be right about the keys, it may be so obvious.." he turns to look at the stairs, "However Ixit, the Archmage requires me, and he is not known to be patient when it is of such importance, I will be on my way."

Mobeus hastily makes his way to the stairs, takes a brief moment to sigh at the enormity of distance he must quickly transcend, but does so with diligent and potentially life preserving haste. Thusly he carries on like that..

A familiar voice echoes in the hallways. "Mahjur! Mahjur! I 'ave found da drawering of da magnet t'ingy!" a beaming goblin says, shaking a peice of parchment in his upraised hands.

Attachments

• magnet.jpg
    magnet.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 2,092
"I just cannot fathom a Goblin can be so incredibly astute.. You are sure your parents were legitimately Goblins right? You aren't half fae or something odd?" Mobeus nods his head in approval of this information, "You did well... but we must stay vigilant, we need to focus our minds to the task at hand.. lest we fail and earn the ire of those superior..."

As Mobeus ponders about the Goblin liniage, a Lore Seeker approaches. "Adeptus Major, the ArchMage requests your presence in his chambers. Something about the Tower of Alzoon." The Lore seeker heads off, another message to deliver it seems.

"I shall be off then..." he looks at the stairs and sighs, "I really have to invest in study teleportation, portals, or maybe even some sort of quickening agent..." without further thought he rushes down the stairs towards the chamber of the Archmage with the full amount of haste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back