Big pants

evi1r0n

Baron
So I fall into that 3x-4x category. I haven't been able to find in-genre pants and have been getting dinged on master craft. Any ideas? I am not crafty at all and I can't sew so things I can order online are awesome. :D

I know you mentioned that you can't sew, but wrap-pants are extremely easy to make and you could probably con a friend or neighbor into doing the sewing for you.

Basically, take two panels of cloth that are as wide as your around-the-waist measurement, and as long as you need (probably waist to ankle, but I could see doing shorter if you have tall boots). Fold in half, and then remove wedge measuring about one-third the folded width, from belly-button to below your groin. When you unfold it, you have a 'U' shaped chunk taken out. Sew your two panels along that 'U' shape. At this point, you fold the top a bit over and sew on tassels for tying, or if you looped it, run a cord through it. You put them on by tying the back to your waist, pull the U through your legs and tie the front behind you (or, if you were clever and made it extra long, in front again). You can either tuck the ankles into your boots, or tie them around your ankles. I recommend wearing at least some solid-colored, non-emblemed board shorts underneath, just in case a side opens up a bit too much.

attachment.php

Cool thanks. Did people wear slacks in our in genre world? What kind of pants are considered in genre? Thanks for all the replies thus far. :D

I can make pants. I can make pants as big as you want, and for hella cheap. :) Let me know.

"Re: Big pants

Postby evi1r0n » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:31 pm
Cool thanks. Did people wear slacks in our in genre world? What kind of pants are considered in genre? Thanks for all the replies thus far. :D"

Well, that opens a can of worms. It depends on the timeperiod and people you are looking to portray.
The above link is for a pair of pants that is designed to look correct for someone 10th or so century(or earlier) and from the Rus. The Norse wore trousers during the Migration era (mostly variants on the Thorsberg pants), but may have moved to hosen with the rest of europe in later periods.

Most of europe between ...off the cuff....1200-1500 or so tended towards Hosen. Literally, a long wool sock which would be tied to your underwear, much like a modern garter. http://www.greydragon.org/library/underwear3.html
Yeah It looks silly to modern eyes, but I've been told they're comfortable and kind of warm. These are why codpieces were developed, as hemlines rose towards the Renaissance. Kept everyone from seeing your bits.

The Irish were known for wearing shorts, a sort of wool or linen Stirrup pants, and nothing at all under their leines (tunic). Yes, the Irish would go without pants. Also sometimes without shoes as well. It's part of the reason the rest of europe thought they were howling barbarians until...oh... sometime after Bloody Sunday. well, that and it's easier to invade, occupy, and kill people you don't think are human. :)

Kilts largely didn't provably exist till 1600 or so. Prior to that, the Scots were just putting their belts around their Brat (cloak) as well as their pants.

The real question is "what are you portraying, and when?" If the answer is "a generic fantasy world guy" Then, sure. Why not? Trousers are fine.
If you want to look like someone from somewhen specific, I'd research their material culture. If you already have something in mind, feel free to ping me privately, and I'll help out if I can. material culture isn't my biggest area of study, but I can probably give you a hand.

Thanks to having been shown the pattern by fellow Iowan and all-around maker of everything Josh, I tend to use Salwar pants as my go-to these days. Wearing clothes from all over the place is one of the benefits of being a Gypsy, no? I'm a big guy as well, and these are pretty incredibly comfortable, if a bit more complex than wrap pants.

Back