Build Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have heard several things from various folks, but I was wondering if a definite number (and type) had been decided yet for the initial level cap?

The reason I ask is that I may be starting up a blank secondary that is close to the build cap I've heard mentioned through rumor. (74bp?) I wanted to see if I can just "not spend" build beyond what your build cap will be if that will mean I can play the character in Crossroads? (Basically if its a "spent build" cap) Or if it's a hard cap and he has more build than the cap if that will just preclude him and I should work on another character?

If there isn't anything officially specific yet I understand, but I ask so that I might be able to plan a character so that he could "fit" under the cap for crossroads next season. Thanks! :)

Indeed, I was saddened to hear that this was going to be a build capped game. Perhaps you are interested in NPC's?

Joe S.

We're always interested in NPCs!

Why are you sad to hear there's a build cap? I think low-level campaigns and events are fun, everyone gets to feel useful, and there's more camaraderie.

(The cap isn't permanently 74 build, it will raise over time.)

Well for one I enjoy playing my character having gotten him to a point where I enjoy playing him but there are no chapters near to me so I was looking to being able to take my character down and get off the ground running with him at the beginning of this campaign. It is a deeply held but personal preference. The build cap means that is not going to happen. Oh well. That said people have a different kind of fun at lower level events. You get some really cartoonish characters you might otherwise not see, and some interesting group concepts, so there are some upsides sure.

I have NPC'd a low level event in this system and I had fun and I think the people I played with enjoyed playing with me so that is enough I suppose. I will await to see the actual schedule and site listing come out so I can see where plans are.

Joe S.

David, I may be wrong in what the owners here will say but if you had a char with say 110 build but only spent 74 of it you'll still have an advantage in Body points over other characters which merely have lower build totals than you, so probably not. At least, that's the way it's been in other capped games I've played and it makes sense to me.

Games can have "soft" build caps and "hard" build caps. These soft caps do take into account that character with the extra "unspent" build have the benefit of extra body.

They do exist, and they allow for someone to continue build growth on a character while waiting to get more skills and stay playable at certain games. Personally I really like this because even if you play a bunch of out of chapter games as long as you don't spend that build you won't prohibit yourself from playing your home chapter.

Anyways yea, still wondering.

I hope its a 74 build hard cap. Because that what a level cap should be. Players should not get the bouneses of higher build like extra body points and on top of that their levels should effect the APL so that would mess that up.

I mean really if you have a character that fits in the 74 bc, then play that one for as long as you can. Other wise just start a new character or NPC.

At one time I had about 3 levels of build sunk into weapon and armor smithing (yes it is totally true), but that was the price I payed. I got to make and sell stuff but at the cost of other skills. Just like the trade off of craftsman skills are (coin and Flavor to your character). I also agree with the above.

Well if we are gonna talk about what we do and don't like I like "soft" build caps because they are a compromise. Allowing people to fit in and play characters that can add flavor and fun to the game that they otherwise wouldn't be able to use.

Also in the case of a capped chapter in the heart of the Northeast a "soft" build cap would mean that a player can get really enthusiastic about the game, play tons, maybe even get a little "to much" build that would otherwise exclude him from his home chapter. But with a soft cap it he doesn't spend it he can at least keep playing that character in its home.

The main gripe I have with level caps in general, is that depending on how they are managed they can effectively "discourage" supper enthusiastic involvement with the Alliance if you just want to play one character. I see a soft cap like this, allowing character that haven't "spent" that extra build to still play as a nice middle way compromise.

But that's just my opinion, not saying there is something "wrong" with a hard cap. Its just a different choice. Anyways, thanks for emailing Christina Lauren, I probably should just have not been lazy and done that myself... ;)

The cap will be at 84 bp spent (hard) for the first two events of the year. The second two events will have a soft cap. (details which we are working on)

Spent bp means that you can have a level ten blank in your chapter and spend 84 of its bp and still play.

We like telling people that they can play as much as they want where they want. :)

Tab

Thanks Tab.

Yeah I think that's better than the hard cap. I remember my first weekend ever. Three of us drove like 8 hours to West Virginia and then we learned that one of us was over the build cap (he had 100 build and the cap was like 90). They let him redo his character and I had an awesome weekend. I'm sure it wouldn't have been as good if they said my buddy had to NPC or make a new character.

I know that's not what's happening here, but it shows that a little flexibility can make a big difference in fun for the players. I hear the argument that a few levels of unspent build give you an advantage with body points, but I don't really see that being a problem unless someone has a level 30 fighter with only 84 build spent. I might have a level 10 scholar - I don't think the extra 2 levels is going to make me an unstoppable tank...

CrossRoads said:
The cap will be at 84 bp spent (hard) for the first two events of the year. The second two events will have a soft cap. (details which we are working on)

Spent bp means that you can have a level ten blank in your chapter and spend 84 of its bp and still play.

We like telling people that they can play as much as they want where they want. :)

Tab

Exactly, and that's what I might be looking at. Having a blank character that I'm rolling out for some events the beggining of next season before Tabs games, so it might have somewhere in the range of 80-100 bp. But making sure to only spend 84 will mean I can at least play it in his chapter where I can't play my other character (lvl 20+) for sure.

I find it weird that people want to play AT the cap. like being THE most powerful PC there (tank or not) is going to make it the most fun. If I get a chance to make it up to Crossroads and the cap is still in place i was considering an all new PC at 15 build just to remember what it was like.

Robb, we should find 4-5 more people and do a 15 build team. The mods will be awesome.

I could see playing a 15 build fighter or earth scholar and I have a few concepts in mind for each. But making a third character when I play an average of twice a year seems kind of silly. So I applaud this implementation of an 84 build spent cap.
Robb Graves said:
I find it weird that people want to play AT the cap. like being THE most powerful PC there (tank or not) is going to make it the most fun. If I get a chance to make it up to Crossroads and the cap is still in place i was considering an all new PC at 15 build just to remember what it was like.
Besides power has more to do with OOG skill, weapon and skill choice, magic items, and teammates than build total so walking in there with 84 build spent has relatively little to do with walking around as the most powerful pc that weekend.

An 84 build fighter will have 19 body before armor and lets just say they should go two-handed blunt could be swinging 10s. If said fighter is wearing even a 5 point armor rep at an APL 3 event they can soak a Flame Bolt and one shot most of the EPL 1-3 monsters (two shot max). Add one body for every 5 unspent build and you've got someone who WILL dominate wave battles. An 84 build scholar can have a 4-4-4-4-4-4-4-2-1 and have 31 2s via wand.

My math might be a little off there, and honestly I don't really care what people decide to do, I interact with PCs, not stat cards. I'll have fun regardless, but as someone who has a lot of experience with trying to stat a broad level range for wave battles I'd be leery of having such a large range (especially at the low end of the level spectrum where build differences are VERY signifigant)

That being said, LOTs of mods always makes these problems go away and have always held my attention better than wave battles. :p

To me that's an issue with fighters rather than build caps - it's not the extra 5 body that allows dominance but the swinging 10s all day. This means an 84 build fighter is not much different than an 104 build fighter with 20 free build.

My 84 build scholar will have one dragon's breath (plus racials and whatnot) which is next to nothing compared to swinging 10s. In Toddo's example the scholar goes straight spells which is obviously more of a power play but throwing 30 2s is still nothing compared to swinging 10s all day. At the HQ lowbie it was clear the the 3rd level fighter swinging 6 with a 2 hander was more powerful than my 80 build scholar in most situations (not when burning down the BBG though).
Toddo said:
An 84 build fighter will have 19 body before armor and lets just say they should go two-handed blunt could be swinging 10s. If said fighter is wearing even a 5 point armor rep at an APL 3 event they can soak a Flame Bolt and one shot most of the EPL 1-3 monsters (two shot max). Add one body for every 5 unspent build and you've got someone who WILL dominate wave battles. An 84 build scholar can have a 4-4-4-4-4-4-4-2-1 and have 31 2s via wand.

My math might be a little off there, and honestly I don't really care what people decide to do, I interact with PCs, not stat cards. I'll have fun regardless, but as someone who has a lot of experience with trying to stat a broad level range for wave battles I'd be leery of having such a large range (especially at the low end of the level spectrum where build differences are VERY signifigant)

That being said, LOTs of mods always makes these problems go away and have always held my attention better than wave battles. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back