Casting a ritual on a building

Cedric

Rogue
Marshal
This has come up in Denver and I believe I know the ruling on it, but i just want to be clear.

If you are casting a ritual on a building (stable foundation, extend battle magic on a ward, etc) does my COP need to encompass the entire building or can I touch the floor of the COP (the floor of the building) as a target.

I know that if you wish to DM a ward, you need to encompass the building, this is different.

Thanks!

Mike

The target is the building, therefore the whole target needs to be within the Circle of Power. It is either all in the Circle of Power, or all out of the Circle of Power.

Prior rulings in Seattle concluded that means the circle must encompass the entire building.

Upvote 0
I know they put a haven of the living around the tavern recently in Seattle, did they put a circle around the entire thing?

Upvote 0
I know they put a haven of the living around the tavern recently in Seattle, did they put a circle around the entire thing?

1) A Circle of Power exists slightly above the surface upon which it is cast. Thus, if you cast it inside a building, you cannot target the building, because the circle literally cuts you off from your target (much like you can't target someone inside of a Prison, because you can't target them).

2) Because of this, you have to have the circle around your target.

3) The ritual cast on the Tavern was an LCO ritual that specifically was not a Haven of the Living, though acts very similar to one.

Upvote 0
Gotcha and thanks!

Upvote 0
So how does one handle the logistics of that? If done at night does the marshal need to wake everyone up? Does each person get to choose in or out? Say I do this on the main tavern, I would need multiple COPs for a large enough circle.

Similar vein for curiosity, how does a person Extend Battle Magic a prison if they can't target someone within their cast prison?

Upvote 0
So how does one handle the logistics of that? If done at night does the marshal need to wake everyone up? Does each person get to choose in or out? Say I do this on the main tavern, I would need multiple COPs for a large enough circle.

Similar vein for curiosity, how does a person Extend Battle Magic a prison if they can't target someone within their cast prison?

The Marshall needs to wake everyone up.

The circle is already cast prior to the ritual starts, no one gets to choose if they are in or out. They are in the circle unless they are standing on an edge when the circle was cast.

If you did it on a tavern, you would need multiple casters and enough rope to circle the entire tavern (or chalk or whatever). Every caster adds 6' to the radius and 12' to the height. The circles need to be cast at the exact same time.

Extend Battle Magic is a universal ritual/Spirit. So it can target anything. In the case of extending a prison, the target is the prison. In the same way that when you hit a prisoned player with a dispel, the prison is what takes the dispel.

Upvote 0
Universal/ Spirit, gotcha, Of course.

Checking the scroll type would of solved some of these questions that came up. Same with the in/out, my mind was thinking of a typical small circle where it's hard to trap someone inside.

Upvote 0
Back