Checking on Queen Ava

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonKitty

Scholar
THE MORNING AFTER THE MASQURADE….

Victoria makes her way through the Palace just after breakfast, she is looking for the Queen. The events of the previous night are still plaguing her, so many questions need answers. She yawns as she walks. Sleep eluded her last night but she knows that sleep is unlikely to come until she has the answers she seeks. Is Ava alright? What happened that prompted the party to be moved in such a fashion?

At the door to the throne room, she pauses and takes a deep breath. Ava can normally be found here at this time of the day, meeting with various diplomats and courtiers, getting the basic business of the day together so the rest of the day is planned for more private meetings as needed. Victoria nods to the guard at the door, she is ready to enter and be announced. She sincerely hopes that she finds her sister-in-law inside and well. The door opens, her name is announced and she walks into the large room.

Ava sits on the throne in the grand room, listening to a request from nearby Baron. There are few members of the court present today, perhaps as result of the issues the evening before.

At the announcement of the Grand Duchess’s arrival, she looks up. Excusing herself from the Baron, she stands and moves to greet Victoria.

Victoria curtsies to Ava, her relief at finding the Queen well concealed by her bowed head. Rising she says “Your Majesty, might I have a few moments?”

“Certainly, Your Grace.” The two women move to the side of the great room, far from any of the other courtiers present and speaking in lowered voices.

“I apologize about the sudden cancellation of the Masquerade last night. With the turmoil in the streets and the two groups fighting openly as they are, it was deemed unsafe for me to leave my rooms here in the Palace.

Add to that the threat that we recieved against the palace, and there was no choice - the event had to be called off.” Ava states, watching the reaction of younger woman.

“I am so glad to see you well. With the sudden change in venue and then you didn’t show, I was worried that something had happened to you. What was the threat received against the Palace might I ask? Given the events that occurred at the Masquerade, it must have been severe, in the end I was glad that you were not at the party after all.” Victoria quickly relays the events of the evening to the Queen.

"Change in venue?" The Queen of Calanda considers her sister-in-law with an expression of mixed concern and confusion, her voice reflecting the same. "There should not have been a change in venue; the event was outright cancelled, as far as I was informed. There should not have been a Masquerade at all."

Ava listens intently to the Grand Duchess' retelling of the incidents that occurred. “This is indeed distressful news. The threat that we received was vague, but severe enough to warrant a stop on anyone coming and going from the grounds, as well as an internal investigation. It bears further looking into as to who was behind these occurrences, both here at the Palace and at the Masquerade, and whether or not they were connected.”

Her lips draw into a thin line, and she exhales deeply. "As for my son, I do not believe him behind the grander scheme at play here. Yes, the actions of those that follow him have led to and perpetuate the turmoil in the city. Rainer, I am sure you will agree, is as idealistic and impulsive as Ulric was, but lacks the experience upon which to weigh his decisions. But if what you say is true, and this Sect now has him... that is not something I can stand for. He needs to be found, and he needs to be brought home."

Victoria’s eyes widen as Ava's words finally sink in through her concern. “ Cancelled? That is definitely not what happened. Yes, it is even more distressful now and I indeed to look into it immediately. But I first wanted to be sure that you were safe and I am very glad to find that you are. I also agree that Rainer likely wasn't behind this, I believe that he heard about what was going on somehow and decided to take advantage of the location, but not plan something this extensive. For this did indeed take a great amount of planning. We will find him and bring him home to you." Victoria places a reassuring hand on Ava's arm. "I will take my leave and begin looking for answers. Perhaps we can meet privately later, I can provide an update on what I am able to find out."

Bowing, a page slowly approaches. "Excuse me, your majesty, your grace." He holds out a scroll tied with a dark purple ribbon bearing a bronze seal stamped with a rose. "This just arrived for you."

Victoria reaches out and takes the scroll from the page and thanks him. Looking at the name on the scroll, Victoria hands it to Ava. "It is for you. If you will excuse me Your Majesty, I should get looking into just what happened last night." Bowing once again to the Queen, Victoria takes a couple steps back and turns, leaving the throne room. There is much to be done.

Ava nods both to the page and to Victoria in thanks, the latter accompanied by a soft smile as she takes the scroll.

"Please do." She speaks as the Grand Duchess bows. "And keep me apprised should anything develop, about my son or otherwise."

Pausing a moment before she returns to her duties, the Queen looks down at the letter in her hand, studying the seal. "The Empress?" the woman breathes, sliding her thumb under the wax and unrolling the scroll as she turns to walk back to the throne. "I wonder what this could be about..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back