Class Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falross

Hi everyone, I'm busy reading through the rules, and I'm trying to figure out a class that appeals to me. I have played tabletop games for years, and this is always something that drives me a little crazy. Would it be a good idea for me to pick a hybrid class (thinking templar right now, but not 100% sure), or is it better to go with a pure fighter or scholar? The idea I have for now is to take a templar, and largely just focus on the fighting skills, and then pick up the magic later. Also, the idea of two weapons appeals to me. Does this work later on when spells start flying as well, or am I just wasting build points?

Thanks,
Falross

The classes in our game are fluid, meaning when it is more build efficient to be a different class, you switch to that class. I would say start a base class and then ease into a hybrid. Low level hybrids start with very few useful skills. Even low level "base classes" can be useful. :thumbsup: I started as a templar. I switched to scholar as fast as I could.

I'm gonna second the "Fluid Class" option. If you're going to start primarily with fighting skills, start as a fighter. As you buy more casting skills, you'll eventually transition over to Templar. As long as you keep reasonably balanced purchases from that point on, you'll stay a Templar. Plus, the extra body is nice at low level.

Personally, I like two weapons, but you'll see a lot more Templars with shields because they're handy to have for blocking while your sword is put away so you can throw spells. You can totally do it with two weapons, it's just more common with a shield. Two weapons is also a more difficult style to learn OOG, but it's pretty awesome once you get it down.

ProTip: Choke down the build cost and buy Read and Write early. Maybe not at your first game (but you get a free re-write after your first event, so maybe consider dropping the build afterwards or re-writing into it), but buy it while your character is still low level and still gaining Build quickly. It's one of the most anti-climactic skills to buy, and if you buy it when you're higher level it'll take you several events of saving up build to do it, and it won't feel like a very cool gain. If you start with it or buy it early, the skills you pick up at higher level will be cheaper so it'll feel like you're gaining abilities more often, which always feels better.

If you are just casting buffs and healing, you can have packets in a functional weapon hand. I use a shield and sword. I keep packets in my shield hand and still defend myself quite well. If you have to throw a lot of spells have a quick sheath or something.

Thanks guys, this makes more sense, and takes off the pressure of making a "wrong" choice for class. I guess I'll go fighter or something, and see where that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back