Colorado NPCing Essentials

meirya

Artisan
I'm bringing along newbies to NPC (and will probably try to drag in as many of my classmates as possible), and I was trying to think of what to have them bring as beginner NPCs. I thought I'd post what I came up with here for feedback and for others to use; please make suggestions for additions/removals if you have any! I'm also posting this here instead of on the more general forums, because LARPing in Colorado's foothills/mountains requires somewhat different consideration and prep than LARPing on the coast.

Essentials (the things that you really really should have as an NPC; going without is not advisable)
  • Basic black clothing: short sleeved black shirt (or tank top), black long sleeved shirt (yes, even in July), black pants (wrap pants, sweats, leggings, etc).
  • Comfortable shoes with good tread and good support. (I really recommend motorcycle boots for this; they last forever, aren't as insanely expensive as higher end renfaire boots, and look sufficiently period.) Avoid tennis shoes if possible; boots of some sort are best.
  • Snacks that contain protein, fat, and carbs. You get to eat at the tavern, but it's easy to get caught up in the action and forget to make time for a tavern food run; plus you are going to burn tons of calories. You need emergency food. Protein, fat, and carbs are all fuel; make sure your snacks have all of those (high-carb, no-protein snacks like donuts are a good quick fuel burst but the energy will not last and sugar crashes are bad).
  • Sleeping bag or sheets + blankets (warm ones! Even in height of summer!). And a pillow.
  • Extra socks. More than you think you need for three days. Not thin socks either, you're gonna be running a lot, you don't want blisters.
  • Extra clothes. Please. For our sakes as well as your own.
  • Shower supplies and deodorant... again, for the sake of your fellow NPCs.
  • Sunscreen.
  • Chapstick. This is Colorado after all, that's a survival necessity anyway.

Recommended (Not essential, but it makes life easier, and may enrich your experience.)
  • Any multi-use costume pieces you have (period shirts, period pants, bodices, tunics, headpieces). NPC camp will have costuming, but those pieces may or may not fit, whereas your own costume pieces are sure to fit you.
  • A belt. And belt pouch, if you have it. (If you have no belt pouch, wear pants with pockets. You have to carry loot somehow...) (Note: this might be an Essential. The belt part, anyway. Thoughts?)
  • Your own makeup, if you prefer a particular brand/style. NPC camp will have makeup but it may not be of a brand you prefer. Commonly used colors are green, black, white, red, yellow, and brown.
  • Makeup remover. Lots of it. Heavy duty stuff. Neutrogena makes this vibrating makeup remover machine that you put pads on which takes off anything; it has served me very well for NPCing (and for PCing a dark elf). I've also had good luck with makeup removing wipes.
  • Facial moisturizer. All that putting on and taking off of makeup is harsh on the skin.
  • A portable mirror of some sort. There are never enough mirrors for all the NPCs putting on makeup.
  • Emergen-C or some similar supplement. I'll have a box or two which I will foist onto NPCs, but having your own isn't a bad idea. Drinking water alone is not enough for hydration, especially if you forget to eat; you need electrolytes.
  • Water bottle. There will be water at NPC camp, but having extra never hurts. (I have been at events where we've run out. This is Not Good.)

White headbands - One at a minimum. Preferably about 3-4. They get gross after a while, they are easy to lose, and it is convenient to have spares for those who do forget.

-MS

Thank you Meirya and Mike!

Agreed!! I have also written a few things on our website under advice for newbies I think.

I would like to add here.... no jeans... no sneakers!

thankyou!
And Yay Npcs!!

Jesse

I figured since I don't actually want a crappy DIY costume, I'd just NPC until I could save up enough for a nice one...

so this is quite helpful!

One thing we are lacking right now is townsperson garb, so if you have any and you are NPCing.... bring it all!!!!

Jesse

Back