Combat question.

ALWEASEL

Artisan
Hello All.
I'm thinking of larping.
And i had a question about combat.
How hard are you all hitting people?
I would not be a heavy combat person, probably a healer.
But i'm also a small guy. I'm only 5 feet and about 105 pounds.
And am wondering if i will just take a beating, and ending up quitting because im not a real physical threat.

Thanks all.
I hope to make it to the practice match to watch and the maybe the march 21st to be an npc or something.

Thanks
Al

Think tag with foam sticks. The combat for this particular game is designed to be fun and safe. So if you’re thinking "O NOS! People are going to hit me with a wooden beating stick!" rest assured that this is not the case. Now that being said there has been times when I was playing that I have gotten a bruise from a bad hit but rest assured that it was an accident and that is not the objective. It’s more of a game of skill than anything. I would encourage you to come to our fight practice on the 14th (in the Shakopee area) and see it firsthand. Look forward to seeing you.

-Chris, nice Alliance guy

Al,
Judging from your own physical description, I think you'll simply outrun the slow moving dwarves - ah I mean, players whenever any of the baddies show up during combat. :lol: But seriously, we're using foam covered weapon representations, so your chance of getting hurt is much lower than that of most sports you could participate in.

As for your concern about enjoying the combat due to not being a physical threat - if you can toss bird seed packets with reasonable aim, you'll do alright. Plus, in all likelihood, there will be plenty of role playing to keep you busy.

- Tim
IG Tazoulti Strongbeard
(An older, slow moving dwarf...)

I played a healer for my first two years, I very rarely got hit (and then only twice, healers go down easy) Baseball batting (or hitting someone with more force then needed to tage them) is definately not allowed and watched for closely.

Ok. i feel better now.
I just wanted to make sure it wasn't like full contact or anything like that.
I love roleplaying.
So i may show up on Saturday to watch and check thing's out.
And i will probably go to the march 21's event then.
Hopefully it won't be really cold or snowy.
But it sounds like fun.

Thanks everyone for the info.
Al

Can't wait to see you there! I play a fighter who uses a shield usually, and to be perfectly honest it looks more intimidating than it is. As a shield fighter I frequently get hit straight across the surface of the shield and there is a fairly loud noise. This is due simply to the materials that are used to make the shields :p Alliance combat system is designed to only simulate intense aggressive combat, and if there is ever a time that you feel like it is getting to intense for you the NPC's will gladly ease up if you just let them know.

And to add onto what Tim said, spell casters can be some of the most feared on the battle field...there is nothing worse then seeing a guy walking around with HANDFULS of packets ready to throw!

Its a fun, safe, and AWESOME way to spend a day (or weekend). Role playing is always great, and THAT can get pretty intense :)

Have a great day!
-Brent

Al,
Don't worry too much at all about getting ganked by anyone... I'm 5'2" and the worst I've gotten bruised from the game was from falling on a metal grate from my own clumsiness. Even the hard hitters only sting a little (ever played paintball? Think about that pain and lessen it by about 25X). I've actually gotten stung worse from the packets than the weapons. Show up on Saturday, we'll spar a little, you'll be fine.
Hope to see you Saturday,
Emilynn

Don't let Fynwei fool you AL, she just wants you to come so she can chase you around the field with that staff of hers... :D

Kevar said:
And to add onto what Tim said, spell casters can be some of the most feared on the battle field...there is nothing worse then seeing a guy walking around with HANDFULS of packets ready to throw!

Did someone call for an Arcane Cannon? :twisted:

Dr_Chill said:
Kevar said:

Durl Versus Dured'hel, tommorow at 10? :mrgreen:

Lurin said:
Dr_Chill said:
Kevar said:

Durl Versus Dured'hel, tommorow at 10? :mrgreen:

That fight will take days...I will be sure to bring a tent/cot and food for four....this will be interesting!

Back