Combat shovel *EDIT* And costume questions!

GunFodder

Hey, I'm sure there are people out there that use shovels as weapons, but I don't think that I've seen any pictures of them. Here's a shovel that I made about a year ago, and plan on using for my first Alliance event (Previously a Nero player):

EDIT: Stupid Photobucket! No matter how I resize it, it cuts off the side, and the website is making it larger than it naturally is! Screw it, I fix it later.
054-2.jpg

056.jpg

060.jpg

063.jpg

It's comes in at a just under 32", or the length of a short axe. I just wish I could afford the starting points to have one-handed edge, but I really want R/W, Archery, and Legerdemain. That leaves me enough to get one-handed BLUNT, but not edged weapons. My friend says that a shovel should count as a blunt weapon, and in most movies that's how we see it used. But it you look back at modern warfare and trench shovels, they were definitely used as axes against enemies.

I've made a shovel before, but it was much heavier, and far too bulky too wield one-handed. I can't decide whether I want to attach it to my back as "The Shoveler" did in Mystery Men, or store it pointing up similar to WWI soldiers in the trenches. The "Trench Soldier" or Sapper is kind of the inspiration for my character, and I intend to make use of a crossbow primarily, falling back on the shovel as a back-up, and using explosives whenever possible, whether it's appropriate or not.

*EDIT* Decided not to start a new thread, so I've replied to this thread to ask for some costume suggestions.

Re: Combat shovel

Awesome Sauce!

I would say mount it on a front chest/shoulder thing.
Instead of explosives, use some magic.

And yes, imo, it would be more of an axe than hammer. Swiss make great entrenching tools.

Have you talked to the chapter you intended to start playing in about what their policies are regarding submitting a background? Some chapters award you goblin stamps for a background and you can spend them on purchasing a back blanket. Then you start with just a little bit more than the 15 minimum. (One blanket gets you to 20bp!)

It's worth investigating, especially to make use of such an awesome rep.

What race are you playing? As it stands for a first level character, it seems that even an elf getting half cost on archery still will cost 17 points for R/W, Archery and Ledgermain. How many BP do you have?

Just curious as I too think using an awsome Phys Rep like that would be worth being illiterate for the first game :)

:-( I thought you started with 20 build, guess I'm still getting confused with Nero.

But thanks for the compliments, I really appreciate it. My buddy and I are having a workshop day this afternoon, hoping to figure out my bracers.

SkollWolfrun said:
Awesome Sauce!

I would say mount it on a front chest/shoulder thing.
Instead of explosives, use some magic.

And yes, imo, it would be more of an axe than hammer. Swiss make great entrenching tools.

Bah! Magic gets way too much attention, time to show these young folk you don't need to fancy-pants elf tricks for adventurin'!

I'm working on a shovel right now, it's cool to see a finished product.

Alright, without starting a new thread, I'd really appreciate some suggestions for my costume. The base of it is a Victorian-esque double-breasted waistcoat that a friend made for me. Sorry for the weird smile, I was feeling a little silly when she took my picture. I hadn't even sewn on the double row of buttons yet.

003.jpg

I'm feverishly trying to complete my 14 gauge, 5/8" ID chainmail to attach to the inside of this. I want to look a bit more "civilized" with what is essentially an armored vest. My problem is, I want to find a way to attach the chainmail to the inside, but in such a manner that I can remove the chainmail component so that I can wash the vest, or eventually swap out vests during the event. The chainmail follows the design of the vest in that it opens in the front.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I'd really suggest not attaching them fully. Make the chainmail vest (and some heavy-duty shirt or tunic to wear under it) and just make it ever so slightly smaller than the cloth, so it won't show through. If you have to attach them, don't put any of the chainmail's weight on the vest, you'll probably tear a seam. Any attachment between the two should be there solely to prevent the vest from shifting and uncovering the chain. Maybe put some eyelets around the armholes and hem and lace the two together?

Back