Common knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Year of 28PC, in the Reign of King Evanard, a brutal and bloody war was being waged in the Streets of Calanda’s great cities. Two guilds of a most ill reputed nature, were at each others throats. Some say it was a perceived slight by one member to another. Others say that it was for Love that the guilds went to war, still others think it was for money and power. No one truly knows why the guilds fought.

The Culprits were to of the most prominent guilds in Calanda. The Dragons, a Guild of light fingered, light footed gutter rats, and The Rose, a group of hired knives so called do to a calling card left at the scene. For a Year and a half the two guilds were at each other. It escalated so bad that the common folk would rise in the morning to see the Home Guard still cleaning the streets of blood and bodies.

King Evanard grew tired of the reports he heard about this “Guild War” and ordered the officers of the Home Guard to arrest any Dragon and Rose they found and Execute them on the spot. With his proclamation made it left it in capable hands…so he thought. After six months of raids and attacks on guild strongholds and safe houses the Home Guard made progress in stopping the war. But soon enough, the evil in all men came out and the Home Guard officers started using this power for themselves. Its rumoured that many officers settled old debts using this power. Arresting people they owed or owed them. Its also spoken, that some Nobles used the Home Guard to defeat their rivals. And even worse and more hushed about, is that the King used this Power to enforce his law. All and all the people were not happy with this and soon talks of revolt and uprising started to appear more often in the deep taverns. In the Year of 29PC the talks became action, and King Evanard was displaced as King, all the while people forgot about The Dragons and The Rose.

In the years to come townspeople and city folk started to see small changes to the old hangouts and hold-ups of the former guilds. New colours were added and sigial was seen upon the doors. After eight years of small changes to the buildings a plaque was hung on the out side of the buildings for all to read, and to this day it says:

“Have you ever lost the key to that chest your grandmother gave you?
Have you ever wondered what’s in your old dead uncles magic tower?
Have you ever gone adventuring and come across a passage way that is booby trapped?
Well we can help! The Purple Dragons and Silver Rose have the skills and ability to assist you in all these things and more! For a fee, we will help you open those pesky locks you lost the keys for, we will help you disable those defensive devices and we will guarantee that the job will get done.
Have you been having trouble with wolves rabbits and goblins getting in to your livestock and gardens?
Has a rival made a threat against you and yours?
Do you need something to shut up your mother in law or great aunt for a couple of days?
The Purple Dragons and Silver Rose have all the tools and expertise to handle these situations and more. We will even instruct you on how to handle all of our goods and can even install most of them for free!
Our agents are highly trained and skilled and we always have a no questions asked policy. So come on in and see us today!”

Greetings Citizens:

You may all rest assured that the Home Guard, as you all know it, is here to protect and serve our King. We are his soldiers and NOT common criminals. If you need assistance please feel free to contact any guardsmen you see and we will try our best to help. Our job is to obey THIS King. The past is...the past.

Long Live the King!

Klanganor Runecarver Orchunter

An' ov course no one would ever say tha' the 'ome Guard has any sort ov "faults" amoungst its ranks. Unless one would believe them rumurs float'an around about the Kingy's party. ;)

"Well young Aengus, your statements of fact are that of a history long forgotten. Although my memory has lapsed now and again, remember that I was a young Initiate of the Arcane Sanctum during the years of strife and war. At one point I was even declared King of Calandonia until the Grand Council was convened.

Those Purple and Silver folks did at one point in our history have free reign to run around the lands and openly as you stated. But that didn't last too long son. Lemme tell ya about the end of the "Welps and Thorns". Pay attention, cause I don't ever repeat myself!

They had a good run for several years. The civil wars being not so civil if you catch my meaning. Every noble had a claim to the throne. They would do anything, and I do mean anything to see themselves as King of all the lands! The welps had themselves a fun time. Getting fat and rich on the strife of too many. But once King Gerard was crowned and the war stopped, their wells ran dry and the nobles turned them into scapegoats. I've never seen a group vanish as quickly as those ones I tell ya. Not before a score or more were hanged in Traitor's Stand as a warning to the others.

They have manged to keep in the shadows since then. Sure we think every now and then we have one creeping around and stickin their beaks in our business. Hells, they were even fingered for the death of my mentor, Artruros back in '73. So in '74 during the Crow's Feast I can claim that at least another score were found out and blasted into oblivion! I should know as I led that march!

Now when I was last Regent, there was an attempt on my life that failed. There was a symbol under the collar of the would be assassin, that of a Purple Dragon wrapped in a Silver Rose. So I know they are still out and about, but when His Majesty, King Ulric claimed the throne he went to work with Colonel Stormcrest to make sure that these Dragon's never show their faces in Calandonia.

So they scattered like rats into the sewers and other places of shadows. Sure, if you know where to look and who to ask, you just may find one of them, but the King has declared that any person who commits a crime and is found to be in league with the Purple Dragons is to be put to a final death. I keep a scroll of Obliterate handy just for that purpose."

With that the Archmage stands and leaves the table. Signalling that once again, he has said what he needed to say and does not want further conversation about it......

As the Archmage walks away Aengus speaks softly in to his glass:

Just because a man is born with talents that people frown upon, dosent make him a bad guy....I wonder were he keeps that scroll.....

:whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back