Conundrum

So... I now live in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin (just below Kenosha, WI at the WI/IL line) and seem to have all these chapters around... but none are actually close. I think the closest one is Chicago (Chick-a-go) and that is about 4 hours away... like HQ used to be for me. I think Ohio is 9 hours and Minnesota about 7ish hours. I'll have to double check the math. With one car and a husband who never table topped (GURPS and Mech Warrior don't count, he bought the books to read the systems but never utilized) and is being a tough sell on the whole LARP concept... though he is a freakin' badass Roleplayer when we play EverQuest/EverQuest 2... and one brand new 9 week old Labrador Retriever pup... what is a girl to do to get her gamin' on?!

Halp!! *is sooooooo jonesing for some Alliance*

The ohio site is only 8.5 hours away.

And its worth it. ;-)

Susan,

What you should do is grab 10 of your closest friends and all carpool down to one of Chicago's events sometime. Seriously though our site is 80 miles from where you are. Its an hr and 45 minute drive.

Also Dave Gleaser has a new chapter opening up thats going to be the awesomest place ever for slighly lower levels (155 build and lower) Thats a bit further but still totally inside of "alley range" at 6 or so hours from your place.

My group often travels to SoMI, and TC throughout the summer and I live maybe an hour and a 1/2 from you. I have my minivan which can take up to 6 larpers travelling lightly and we are always looking for more folks to split the gas. Our Drive to Somi is about 5 hrs making it doable for you by yourself. TC is a bit further than that and ohio still an hour or so further.

For TC I am told you can take a ferry somewhere to goes nearer to them and its relativly inexpensive. If your work out the schedule right... you should be all set.

Contact me with any questions, we'd be glad to have you wether for a day or a season as a PC or an NPC were always happy to help travellers sate their Alley fix.

Thanks

Paul

Wilde_Night said:
So... I now live in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin (just below Kenosha, WI at the WI/IL line) and seem to have all these chapters around... but none are actually close. I think the closest one is Chicago (Chick-a-go) and that is about 4 hours away... like HQ used to be for me. I think Ohio is 9 hours and Minnesota about 7ish hours. I'll have to double check the math. With one car and a husband who never table topped (GURPS and Mech Warrior don't count, he bought the books to read the systems but never utilized) and is being a tough sell on the whole LARP concept... though he is a freakin' badass Roleplayer when we play EverQuest/EverQuest 2... and one brand new 9 week old Labrador Retriever pup... what is a girl to do to get her gamin' on?!

Halp!! *is sooooooo jonesing for some Alliance*

Hey, I know there's at least 4 of us who drive out from the depths of Iowa for Chicago. 4 hours isn't really a big deal, compared to when we used to drive 8 for Nero Kzoo. :D

-Kiefer

Have an affair with someone who lives closer to a chapter? :)

Although, I admit I like Mike's answer. Wonder how your husband would feel about helping run a chapter - if he's such a good RPer and all.

LOL. I dunno. Mike told me the same thing when we were in Guam. :lol:

Damn Gee, I'd drive to PA just to play HQ, NJ and LV... but the last time we did a drive from East Coast to here it took nearly 15 hours. I'd rather fly. ;)

I really, really want to go to Ohio. Really really really. And the other chapters look promising too. I don't know if I have any characters under 155 build anymore, unless you count my unstarted Dryad.

I'll ponder a bit more.

I miss you guys!!!

I say go to Chicago. Based on Paul's comment it'll be even closer than HQ or NJ are to York. When hubby catches the LARP bug then you can plan a trip to NJ for a long weekend sometime so Wilde can hang out in her old stomping grounds.

Chicago is a fun time. :)

Ohio is a great game. I just moved hear a little less than a year ago and fell right into the fold with the first event I attended. If nothing else, our June Showcase event should rock super hard this year since a) it's a long weekend event and b) the guys running it are truly awesome. If you can't make it before then, I'd definitely try and make it for that, at least the extra day helps justify the long drive.

Long events are a bonus since the hubbs is in the military and they (usually) get those weekends off... unless he has duty and then I'll be a saaaaaaaaad panda.

I'll let you know when we drive down to Chi-town to play, we usually have an extra seat (well, we can figure out how to come up with one) and could stop on our way down and back as we mostly skirt the southern border of Wisconsin anyway.

As to playing in Southern Minnesota, I'd be careful, I hear their owner is all 134 available flavors of crazy :mrgreen:

Maxondaerth said:
Ohio is a great game. I just moved hear a little less than a year ago and fell right into the fold with the first event I attended. If nothing else, our June Showcase event should rock super hard this year since a) it's a long weekend event and b) the guys running it are truly awesome. If you can't make it before then, I'd definitely try and make it for that, at least the extra day helps justify the long drive.

Listen to the man! (huh...weird... I think this is the first time I've ever advised someone to listen to JEFF... :lol: lol)

I know its a huge drive but the Work Weekend is coming up in 2 weeks as well (March 20th-22nd)-- its not an event but it is a chance for us all to get together, do some clean up and site construction projects-- maybe your hubby would feel more comfortable meeting other LARPers and chatting about the game in a relaxed OOG atmosphere before jumping right in? Camping, food, games, good people...a weekend vacation that just happens to be with Alliance people?

Plus, I should be at the work weekend...

And, as you mentioned long events as a draw... Ohio does have two scheduled long events this year. One in June (that is our showcase event) and one in September (Labor Day weekend I believe).

Back