Convergence '09 in the Twin Cities - Demo's, Mods, Parties?

FrankManic

Artisan
Hey folks. Here's my story.

I just got back from Anime Detour, a Twin Cities Anime Convention. Since I didn't want to go in my civvies I put on my leather armor, strapped a boffer to my side, and went in. In the two hours that I was wearing my armor about a half dozen people asked me about LARPing, and a bunch more came up to talk to me about the armor, who I was cosplaying, and so on. Basically, I met a lot of people and told them all to go check out Alliance and Frozen North, our local Bel/Dag chapter that is trying to promote all of the different foam fighting/larp groups in the area. I just printed up one hundred fifty little paper cards with a little blurb about LARPing and the websites for Alliance national, Alliance Southern MN, Frozen North, and the Bel/Dag websites.

So here is my pitch. A lot of people go to Convergence. All of those people are geeks. Geeks love hitting things and pretending to be someone else. Therefore, Geeks would love Alliance. So we should talk to the Convergence organizers to see if we can set up a demo of the Alliance game and maybe run an adventure or a module in the hotel during the Con. It would be a great way to expose hundreds of people to the game. A lot of the folks I talked to were interested in Larping, but they didn't know that there was an Alliance Chapter in their area. Instead of waiting for them to stumble across us online, like I did, let's try to use this as an opportunity to get the word out to a lot of people!

Plus, dungeon mod in a hotel? How cool would that be! Fight your way through the hallway trolls, check the ice machine for traps, loot some shower caps, and face down the dark lord in the Sentorial Ballroom!

Eitherway, I'm volunteering to try to set something up, if people are interested. I know a lot of you guys travel pretty regularly, and you're all geeks, so this seems like something we'll have people at anyway!

Indoor mods are hot. And can be real meat grinders due to the lack of space to run around, but like I said they can be blast. :D Hurts Rogues a little bit... :? But the new rules give the Rogues a little bit to do at least.

I've only been through the news rules briefly. Actually sorry to thread jack a little. Dan (whos IG character is also Dan), Nicole, JD (ghost tribe barbar in HQ) and I were talking at a party. I jump on my comp to check out the board, see some new rules and we read through the list of new things that Mike posted. I buy a new rulebook right there and we check out everything. We also were so happy to have come up with a weed dryad but then we saw that they weren't a species type race like kin. Anyway what new little thing did rogues get. I have a rogue so I should know this. I'll be rereading my book.

Back to the thread **sorry**. Were would we find out were "geek" (for lack of a better word) conventions are held. My portable scanner broke and now I have to find them another way. I would love to help out if someone wanted to do something in the LI NYC area. It definitely would be a great way to find new players and expose LARPing.

Big new things for Rogues is that Backstab damage adds +1 damage to ranged attacks, and you can make those from the front. So a rogue with 4 Backstabs will swing for 10's from behind with a sword and shoot for 7's from in front with a longbow. Also you can assassinate or terminate with a ranged weapon from the front.

Also a new skill. Terminate, basically an evicerate for Rogues that has to be delivered from behind.

Back